low leaf-88

Comments

• PCGS
    high leaf-427
    low leaf-749

NGC
    high leaf-55
    low leaf-98
  • Quite a jump in ten days, love to see what the pops are in 10 more days?? Do you have a grade breakdown for ms-63 and higher?
    I LOVE PROOF SEATED LIBERTY COINS AND ALL BETTER DATE SEATED LIBERTY COINS
  • pops. 3/12
    PCGS
    high leaf......1......15....232...98.......8.......0
    low leaf........0......25...425...139.....5.......1

NGC
    high leaf.......3.......7.......7.....22.......6
    low leaf........3......27.....50......8.......0

pops.3/22
    PCGS
    high leaf.......1.....0........21....280...114....11......0
    low leaf........0.....4........40....521...172.....11.....1

NGC
    high leaf.......3......7.....13.....26.......6
    low leaf........5.....31....54......8........0

pops. 4/2
    PCGS
    high leaf.....1......3.......22.....303....137..16......0
    low leaf......0......4.......42.....546....197..12......1

NGC
    high leaf...31.....190...378...253.....7
    low leaf....11.......69...103....51......0

pops. 4/11
    PCGS
    high leaf....6.......4......38.....353...155....18.....0
    low leaf.....0.......4......54.....611....217....14....1

NGC
    high leaf...31.....190...378..253......7
    low leaf....11......69....103...51.......0

pops. 7/14
    PCGS
    high leaf.......13.....0.......16.....81.....567...275...32.....0
    low leaf........11.....6.......11....107....922...370...24.....1

NGC
    ....................55.....58.....61.....62.....63.....64.....65.....66.....67.....68
    high leaf.......1.......5.......1.......8......17.....164...494..508...277......7
    high leaf(PL)..............................................3.......12.....9........1........
    low leaf.................9.......1.......5......14.....205...520..378....70........
    low leaf(PL)...............................................1........1......3........1........

Total pcgs/ngc pop
    high leaf=2491
    low leaf=2660
  • Thanks for sharing that!

I am really happy I have one of each! I think they will stay pretty rare.

People at our coin club keep telling me that there are 250,000 of these out there and that mine aren't anything special but if there are so many more out there it sure seems to be taking a long time for a lot of them to be found and graded.

What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    SELL NOW WHILE INTEREST IS HIGH

mark my words image

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go.

You are correct, the number is merely inching up when you consider how many people are searching every d-mint wisconsin out there.image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• << <i>Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go.

You are correct, the number is merely inching up when you consider how many people are searching every d-mint wisconsin out there.image >>

Thanks image

"Live long and prosper"

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go.

You are correct, the number is merely inching up when you consider how many people are searching every d-mint wisconsin out there.image >>

just because people are searching and the pops are not going up dramatically does not mean that they are not being found. Not everyone submits them for grading.

I've said all along that they will be another 1995 Doubled Die and still maintain that.
  • I bought mine to enjoy not send the kids to college. I could of sold my set for a grand
    at the peak and bought back lower. Why is it a person can not purchase something for
    fun? If the price goes up great but does it really matter?

Doesn't anyone have a coin because they feel they might enjoy it? And for that
    matter do these threads have to drag out the nay-sayers? People collect what
    they enjoy.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go.

Perhaps of even greater importance is that nearly half of these should be in circulation now
    and they are entering commerce at a rate of around one and a half million per day. If some
    more turn up it will help the popularity and by extension the price. Even if no more turn up
    the price is very difficult to predict.
    Tempus fugit.
    you're the one starting threads talking about how "rare" they are in pop reports. If you're an altruistic numismatist then crack it out and don't obsess on the pop's. Pop reports are a dead giveaway in my mind for someone looking to score a modern that'll be valuable someday.

and then

<< <i><< Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go. >>

and you say

"thanks"

Feel free to take the advice of someone you already agree with, even if it might not be accurate. Only time will tell and remember..

"People collect what they enjoy. " and they can do that without respect to a coin's pop report.

--------T O M---------

• The set I have is still raw. The coin pictured was a gift.
    I do not remember using the word rare. If anything the
    change in the pops. reflect more being graded not rarity
    as if no more will be found.
    I still feel coins do no need to be rare or expensive to be enjoyed

Eddit to add

Excuse me mrdq I thought you were criticizing my posting the pops.
    I post them just to be helpful and share info. Certainly not to boast rarity.
    I have no conception whare this one is going. I bought mine at $125
    and could kick myself for not buying the ones for $50 on e-bay instead.
  • Thanks for sharing the info. I still haven't seen any up here in Alaska, but I'm still looking!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many raw ones have been on Ebay? Certainly many more than are in the pop reports. The news on these got out fast and there does not appear to be any shortage of them
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • I am interested in seeing how many of these will get culled out while still in their mint state conditions. These will be must haves for the serious State Quarter collectors and these collectors will be the bidders for the higher grades. I'm thinking the higher grades will significantly appreciate in price once the dust settles and we have a pretty good idea what the final population numbers are. Cheers!

-Snoodle...
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most of the eBay listings are for rolls and bags of stuff to search and not the actual coins themselves.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Betcha the PCGS graders are sick of those things.
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Assuming 60 days of grading since they started rolling in, that's still less than 20 per day getting graded, 4 or 5 per grader. What was the guesstimate by someone else, 6 seconds per, not a big chunk of their day.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• 3/22 completed autions on ebay- about 40 of both types. Prices continue to sag a bit- lows were going for $100 or a bit less (as low as 88) highs a bit more.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is in just about 90 days (maybe less), PCGS (in itself) has already graded 427 "high leaf" coins image Good luck on that one. Wait 10 years and see how many are graded. People put away millions of $$ in rolls/bags, which will one day be opened.

I collect Mercury Dimes and can say that, for example, PCGS has only graded 401 MS (any MS including MSFB) 1918-P dimes and I doubt that there are potentially millions more 1918-P to be graded MS or MSFB. A nice MS64FB can be had for about $250 with a PCGS Pop of 125. Right now a PCGS graded MS64 "high-leaf" is on eBay (already) for $415 (16 bids) with 2.5 days to go. The PCGS POP on the "high leaf" is 280...and by the time this coin sells it might be over 300. I'd rather buy 2x 1918-P's...but hey, that's just a crazy Mercateer speaking image

What's happening with these quarters is euphoria and not common sense image

That said, I really would like to own a set of these myself but have become mature enough of a collector to know that I'm not going to buy at these ridiculous price levels just because "I want one." The prices one some of these coins are approaching that of nicely mid-graded 3-Legged Buffalo nickel or the 42/1 P or D Mercury Dime, etc., and if I was to "want one", I'd likely want to own the latter and not the former for the same $$.

By the way, I completely respect the decision of those here who have plunked down $$ to buy these things -- to each his own -- just curious what the rationalization was? Is it just because you want one or do you truly believe it is a numismatic rarity?

thank you mercurydimeguy

--------T O M---------

• << <i>

<< <i><< Hang in there, notlogical, the old geezers are jealous. And they know sleight of hand, so if you show them off, don't let go. >>

and you say

"thanks"

Feel free to take the advice of someone you already agree with, >>

Thanks, I will! image

"Live long and prosper"

• mercurydimeguy,
    Very rationaly said. I guess everything is only worth what you can get for
    it today. No one knows what these things will be worth a month from now
    much less 20 years. They may not even be remembered.
    Being a modern collector and enjoying varities in particular I like the quarter.
    I do not know dimes but I would assume the dime you referenced is just another
    one in the series which would take a few bucks to complete. The varietie quarter
    appeals to not only state quarter collectors but also variety collectors. Many new
    collectors are getting their feet wet with the state quarter program and may or
    may not get involved in classics. Acquiring the varieties are more or less a one
    shot deal as opposed to collecting a whole series.
    Thanks for your opinions. Joe

• << <i>
    By the way, I completely respect the decision of those here who have plunked down $$ to buy these things -- to each his own -- just curious what the rationalization was? Is it just because you want one or do you truly believe it is a numismatic rarity? >>

I was given a set of each kind, PSCG MS64, by Rick Snow for writing a article for the Central States newsletter about the wisconsin quarters. image

"Live long and prosper"

• sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    So how did one become AU58 so quickly?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SOG - Likely became AU58 because it was (mis)handled.
    When these first became news (late Jan...after the FUN show where they were rolled out), they were being sold on ebay in groups of 3 (high/low/normal) by a lot of NEW ebay sellers (a lot of 0 feedback people). Likely they found them, held them wrong, put them in with other things, etc, and sold them. So, there was likely rub.
    That's my guess at least...probably more than a few that will end up with fingerprints in a few years as well (well, start showing the prints.....).

MDG - To each their own. I own a set. Raw. I bought from Rick Snow (EagleEye on the board) as well. I paid less than I lose when I go gambling, so I am fine with that. I think they're cool. I, personally, like them better than a 3-legged buffalo. 4th leg removed because of die-polishing....doesn't float my boat....but, of course, I also don't like the buffalo nickels that much (very few of them do I like).
    I wouldn't mind a 42/1 Mercury Dime, but, the prices are too high for me and I would just get it because I like the overdates as well as RPM. I don't "do" dimes otherwise, unless it is my birthyear or just looks cool. They are too small for me (eyesight, desire). I like dollar coins, even half dollars (though, while I have a circ-BU collection with my boy for kennedys, and trying to build for franklins, I like the older halves).

As for the pops and prices......hmmmmm...you bring up a point. However, why not compare them to the 1909s-vdb lincoln and its pops-vs-prices. You can't estrapolate prices based solely on population. You have to take into account the volume, and demand, of people that collect the series, or errors/varieties, etc.
    I don't think I would ever really WANT a 1922 no D lincoln. Why? It fills a hole in a book? PCGS has it in its registry? It has no desire to me. But, I WANT WANT WANT a 1955/55 lincoln.

I didn't buy my leaf set to pay off my mortgage, but I did buy it because it is cool. I am glad I got it. I've showed it to people at work and all thought it was cool....and, they don't buy coins. So, again, some of us are quite happy with our leaf variety Wisconsin quarter no matter what all the naysayers or the pop-report junkies predict.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I didn't buy my leaf set to pay off my mortgage, but I did buy it because it is cool. I am glad I got it. I've showed it to people at work and all thought it was cool....and, they don't buy coins. So, again, some of us are quite happy with our leaf variety Wisconsin quarter no matter what all the naysayers or the pop-report junkies predict

That's cool -- like I said I respect people that buy it 'cause they want it or it's cool looking. Just curious.

I guess the coin market has two different types of constituencies like the stock market : there are the technicians and then there are the momentum players. A never ending battle between the two has and always will exist, but they both enjoy what they're doing and both do well at it.

A lesson learned from a "parallel" market/industry image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what you're saying is in just about 90 days (maybe less), PCGS (in itself) has already graded 427 "high leaf" coins image Good luck on that one. Wait 10 years and see how many are graded. People put away millions of $$ in rolls/bags, which will one day be opened.

I collect Mercury Dimes and can say that, for example, PCGS has only graded 401 MS (any MS including MSFB) 1918-P dimes and I doubt that there are potentially millions more 1918-P to be graded MS or MSFB. A nice MS64FB can be had for about $250 with a PCGS Pop of 125. Right now a PCGS graded MS64 "high-leaf" is on eBay (already) for $415 (16 bids) with 2.5 days to go. The PCGS POP on the "high leaf" is 280...and by the time this coin sells it might be over 300. I'd rather buy 2x 1918-P's...but hey, that's just a crazy Mercateer speaking image

What's happening with these quarters is euphoria and not common sense image

That said, I really would like to own a set of these myself but have become mature enough of a collector to know that I'm not going to buy at these ridiculous price levels just because "I want one." The prices one some of these coins are approaching that of nicely mid-graded 3-Legged Buffalo nickel or the 42/1 P or D Mercury Dime, etc., and if I was to "want one", I'd likely want to own the latter and not the former for the same $$.

By the way, I completely respect the decision of those here who have plunked down $$ to buy these things -- to each his own -- just curious what the rationalization was? Is it just because you want one or do you truly believe it is a numismatic rarity? >>

While this is quite logical it may well be entirely wrong. Several things make these
    coins very much different than a '42/'41 dime or a three leg nickel. Primarily they may
    well be far, far scarcer. The dime can be found in bags of junk silver and is still turn-
    ing up every day. The nickel is a die state and was made in significant quantities. The
    lion's share were released in Montana but there were several other release points in-
    cluding the Chicago area. Neither the dimes nor the nickels are widely collected by
    variety but these quarters were released at a time that variety collecting is soaring in
    popularity and are in a denomination which is popular to collect this way.

Just because large numbers of rolls and bags are being set aside does not mean some
    percentage will be these varieties. Only those set aside to date in the Tucson or Dal-
    las area have any real chance of containing these coins. Keep in mind that many of the
    people saving coins in these areas will check them before storing them. There might easily
    be fewer than a couple dozen from this source and none in the rest of the country.

Don't run out and buy these if you're risk adverse since it's entirely possible hundreds
    of thousands will suddenly turn up in Eugene, Oregon or Grinnel, Iowa.

But these pops are probably somewhat indicative of the availability to date and it's nice
    to see someone posting nice raw numismatic data.

Thankyou JoeYuk.
    Tempus fugit.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I bought two PCGS MS64 low leafs at $125.00 each weeks ago..

I held onto them and watched the prices on eBay.. the raw coin listings FAR outnumbered (and still do) the slabbed ones.. then the slabs started showing up and their prices started climbin.. saw one PCGS MS64 low leaf go for $560.00.. that was the peak for PCGS MS64 low leaf.. I figured they'd keep going up but as more and more auctions were listed (by FAR most of them raw) the price started coming down..
    And yes, as somoene else noted, most of the raw ones were listed by (0) or (1) feedback sellers..

So I was $250.00 into the two slabs, and decided to list one.. I got $306.00 for it. That pays for both of them plus all the fees, making the other one I have free.. and I'm keeping that one..

If a year or two from now these things are going for $10 or $20 in PCGS MS64, well who cares, the one I have in my collection cost me nothing.. If they're going for $1000 to $2000 in PCGS MS64, well then kick me hard for not waiting a couple years..

Feel free to say "yer nuts, they'll never be worth that much." Well back in 1955, early finders of the 1955 DD cent had trouble getting a dollar each for them.. IMO, NO ONE knows how these leafy quarters will perform or what the prices will be in x months or x years.. that's why I'm hanging onto the other one.. it costs me nothing to hold onto it, and I think it's cool anyway image ..

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as to what these are worth.. I think it's a LOT more interesting than a 1922 no "D" or a three legged Buffalo.. the low leaf LOOKS like a leaf, and if that's a die gouge from a piece of scrap metal that flew off a die lathe, the odds are a bajillion to one that it would end up in exactly that place and look like a leaf.. the high leaf might be rarer by 2:1 but it looks like a line.. the low leaf looks like a leaf.. it looks like it was put there on purpose..

I don't believe for one second that this is a random die gouge.. if it was on the cow's face, or the cheese wheel, or in the field, or across the corn kernals, yeah sure.. but not where it is and how it looks..

Those who choose to disagree and say it's random.. hey, that's their opinion.. until it's proven one way or another how these happened, I'm sticking to the intentional engraving side of the bench..

Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • updated pops. 4th post.
    Looks like everyone is sending them in to PCGS -- I guess the premium $$ for these coins in PCGS holders is hard to resist image
  • I find the ratio a bit strange.
    For PCGS there are 574 high leaf and 901 low leaf.
    Which equals about 1.57 low leaf coins for each high submitted.
    For NGC there are 859 high leaf and 234 low leaf.
    Which equals about .27 low leaf for each high leaf submitted.

If the pops. are correct I wonder why people choose to send
    most high leafs to NGC and low leafs to PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file