Home Sports Talk
Options

What Was The All-Time Worst Sports Trade?

Red Sox sell Babe Ruth to the Yanks for cash? Mets trade Nolan Ryan to the Angels for Jim Fregosi? Both of those one-sided deals have been mentioned as the all-time worst sports trade...which front-office blunder ranks as your all-time worst trade?

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are three:

Cubs trade Lou Brock to the Cardinals for Ernie Broglio
    Cardinals trade Steve Carlton to the Phillies for Rick Wise
    Phillies trade Ryne Sandberg to the Cubs for Ivan DeJesus

Steve
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    In 1970 the Bears traded their first round pick to Green Bay for Elisa Pitts. How many downs did Pitts play for Chicago? Answer: 0. Still, it's hard to think of anything worse than trading away the Babe for anything less than the world, the solar system, and the known universe.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    there are plenty to choose from.

how about the warriors trading robert parrish and i believe the 3rd pick in the draft (which became kevin mchale) to the celtics for the 1st and 2nd picks in the draft (who never amounted to much)

T.O. for a 6th rounder and a receiver that was cut after playing 6 games comes to mind.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Vikings trading away the farm for Herschel Walker to Dallas.

"n it, Walker was dealt from a Dallas team that finished that season 1-15 to the Vikings for 12 players and draft choices. Those picks and subsequent deals provide the Cowboys with a nucleus that made them the most successful franchise of the '90s.

One of the choices, for example, was used to take Emmitt Smith, who has eclipsed Walker as a ballcarrier."

Hands down this is the biggest trade of all time. The Ruth deal wasn't a trade, just an outright sell of a contract.
  • Options
    Amos Russie (at the end of his career) for Christy Mathewson.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hands down the "trade" of Babe Ruth was the all time worst. Nothing else is even close.

Most "aggravating" trade - Phils traded 5 players for Von Hayes. This guy had one decent year for the Phils and I don't remember him ever having a game winning RBI the whole time he was there. In a needed clutch situation...he was an automatic out. Lots of other bad trades by the Phils - and it never seems to get better.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    The Sox letting Babe Ruth go to the Yankees was the worst but:

On March 22, 1972 3B Danny Cater was traded by the New York Yankees, with a player to be named later, to the Boston Red Sox for Relief Pitcher Sparky Lyle. The New York Yankees sent Mario Guerrero (June 30, 1972) to the Boston Red Sox to complete the trade. Diehard Yankees and Boston fan know how this one turned out....by 1975 Danny Cater's career was over. Sparky Lyle won the Cy Young in 1977 on his way to winning the World Series with the Yankees.
  • Options
    Not the worst of all-time but heres 1 real good one...

Moses Malone from Philly for Jeff Ruland...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Cubs get Sammy Sosa from the White Sox for George Bell. The Cubs got over 500 home runs from that trade.

Sandberg was actually a throw in on his trade as the main person the Cubs got, at the time, was Larry Bowa.

The Lakers traded Gail Goodrich to the Jazz for a No. 1 pick. Turned out to be Magic Johnson.

The Lakers also traded Elmore Smith, Junior Bridgeman, David Meyers and Brian Winters for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Not bad either.

And Mac- Im old enough to remember that trade as well.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I didn't think there was anyone else old enough to rememberimage Didn't know about the Goodrich trade, though. That's up there.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with Axtell.

Vikings trading away the farm for Herschel Walker to Dallas.

7 players for a dud!!! It tooks years to recover from that.

It now looks like the Vikes are finally getting a defense.
  • Options

The Indians sell Manhattan for $29 worth of wampum.
    New York goes on to host seven major sports teams.
    And they didn't even get season tickets in the deal. image
  • Options
    Wait a minute though....didn't they get a few hatchets in that deal?
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    No hatchets...

...but a gaming and smuggling license worth a beaver pelt or two.
  • Options
    Orioles to Houston

Orioles send Curt Schilling Pete Harnish and Steve Finley

for Glen Davis

At least the worst Trade in Orioles history
    I collect Vintage Low Grade cards

buy or trade for them

• Options

<< <i>No hatchets...

...but a gaming and smuggling license worth a beaver pelt or two. >>

Even if they got some hatchets, the settlers already had guns.

Good traders the Dutch.
  • Options
    The Webber trade to Philli is looking pretty bad about now. Still three years left on his contract, 120 million dollar contract, injured = not good for Philli.