Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Overstock is going to eat eBay for lunch

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    You get me all fired up. Then their registration is currently broken.
  • Options
    ebay had prblems at the beggining also.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    good luck it looks like yahoo. i wish them luck but ebay is king right now... they are a monopoly!
  • Options
    I have so much faith that I am going to buy stock in Overstock. Have you seen the price of eBay stock lately? Ouch!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see ebay get some competition. I think Overstock has seen mistakes like Yahoo! and will try to avoid becoming another one of them.
    I rarely post on ebay anymore soley because of the cost to post auctions.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    A quick search in Overstock for trading cards - basebal found 188 results. ( not two as originally posted)

Even with that number............

I am sure EBAY is shaking in their boots!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    If you look under collectible many more come up. Unfortuneately they have cards graded by PRO and several other brands. Didn't really see much.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure eBay is scared to death too....especially after the BIG list came out today....

Text

Hope I got the link right.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Justin, I wish your prediction had some chance of being right. Still, any competition at all that Overstock or eCost or their many siblings can give eBay is a good thing. Yahoo tried and failed, but the others can learn from Yahoo's attempt. Naxcom succeeds somewhat in its niche of overpriced crap, but it's not auctions and people love eBay for the bidding action.
  • Options
    Until they do alot to make the site more user friendly they will get nowhere. Right now I have heard some users complaining that their CC companies will not accept payments issued from overstock. When they call their CC companies they are told something about Overstock having security issues in the past and they will not accept charges from them. THat may or may not be true.

On another note, they have no completed items searches, you cannot research past sales to see if you are bidding against a shill bidder or not like you can on Ebay. I listed about 50 items over there and sold one who ended up being a NPB. So the listing fees even though they are cheaper was just wasted, listed the same 50 items on Ebay and all but 2 sold most with multiple bids. I was approached by several other sellers while my listings were up to bid on their auctions, and they would do the same so we could just exchange feedback.

What is going to happen when they raise fees there??

The site has been up since about last September and while the listings have gone up there appears to me no buyers there like on Yahoo or Bidville mainly the buyers are reselling for a profit on Ebay.. I know I have been.

I think I will stick with Ebay since they have all the buyers. Hopeful the CC rumors are not true and they don't end up going the way of Wagglepop.com.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    0 items found for sawchuk

I won't be going back there any time soon image
  • Options
    Regarding Ebay stock... You do realize it split in February so naturally it is going to lose half its value at that time.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that so many people dislike eBay. I guess they would rather go back to the era when us collectors were at the mercy of the dealers. No one is going to overtake eBay unless eBay screws things up themsleves. The reason eBay's stock price is in the 30's is because it just split 2 for 1.
    I personally would buy eBay stock at this price.

A year from now, it will be Overstock who ???
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Yahoo and Amazon tried to compete with ebay without much success, and they are much larger companies than Overstock. And Ubid hasn't gotten anywhere either.
  • Options
    It's all about the O!

I always think their commercials are for a 900 number. image
  • Options
    I guess some things will never change. When I see less of this and more of the real stuff I'll take note. For now, I think I'll pass. image

Scott

A fool and their money soon part!!
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's all about the O! >>

<< <i>I always think their commercials are for a 900 number. >>

I know what you mean. Everytime time I see one of their commercials I feel like that red-haired chick is coming on to me. Kinda makes me want to check out their site. image
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Ebay is the 800 lb gorilla that everyone is gunning for. The thing is, ebay, with all their faults, get a lot of things right. They remind me of AOL, where it may be pricier, but everyone knows it, everyone knows how it works, and it's the establishment.

Competition is always good for keeping fees in check, but I don't see ebay going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    After seeing this thread I decided to watch some Vintage auctions today.
    Results?
    A Pete Rose RC (fake? At least seller acknowledged that it could be) sold for a "decent" price in the mid three figures.
    A 76 Ryan PSA 9 cracked holder is selling well.
    A 1960 Kaline PSA 5 looks like it will go for almost SMR.

No bargains... image

One of the ways this will work is if people like us "ride" a price spread between Overstock & Ebay by buying on the former and flipping them for more on the latter. As we bid up prices, that spread will grow thinner, leading more sellers to take advantage of the lower fees. Eventually Ebay would have to react by lowering its prices.

Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Dunno. But if I could have gotten that PSA 9 Ryan for <$100 I would have.

I also don't know if we can snipe this site - which will make a big diff for reluctant snipers like myself.
  • Options
    ebay is wonderful. it will be tough for another to catch on with decent marketshare, but I welcome it. naxcom seems to be kinda doing something, as for O, we'll see.

GG
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    If there were a company running today that I felt had the surest recipe for failure, it is Overstock.com. What exactly do they have to offer that is not already being provided elsewhere, in many cases by several other established competitors?

They been burning through cash every day since they began, running expensive (and ineffective IMO) television commercials, and the stock is extremely overvalued and ready to be hammered at any moment once people realize the company can't survive. They do not have a clear business plan, they try dipping into a bunch of different market segments, when their bread-and-butter is clearing out close-out merchandise. Their auction site stinks, they have no client base of buyers or sellers, and people are not just going to begin going there when word is still getting out to many about eBay. The fact that it is cheaper to list an auction over there is a mute point if there is no one there to buy the item. And I do not think eBay's fee structure is high, certainly not to the point where it deserved the type response it got when they wanted to raise fees here and there, but they have since rectified it.

If you're looking to buy stock in a .com company and hope for long-term gains, eBay is still your best bet because they're not going anywhere sans a government intervention to break up their pseudo monopoly, and even that may not be possible.
  • Options
    Once Overstock has more traffic in their auctions I will start listing there instead of Ebay!
  • Options
    Like all the other prvious attempts at upstaging ebay, this will also fail.

The problem? Unless there is a mass exodus of sellers all at once, it'll never catch on.

Funny, every time I see a new auction site pop up, either a general site or a specialized site, disgruntled ebay sellers are always saying they will give up on ebay, but only if there is good buying traffic on the new site. Problem is that the disgruntled ebay buyers also say they'll go somewhere else, but only if the sellers go first. Someones gotta go first, and it should be the sellers, but it never goes any farther than that.

As a buyer, I'll go where the items are that I want. As a seller. I'll go where I think I can make the most money, unless the site is free to sell on and I can afford to take a chance.

I think the only thing O-stock is gonna eat for lunch is ebay's dust, at least until something major happens to drive sellers away.

From what I've seen dealing within different hobby groups, a majority of say, sports card dealers, could jump the ebay ship, and ebay would probably not even flinch. Same thing with other specialized collecting areas. It would take a massive move by a large percentage of sellers across the category spectrum.

If O-stock can show that they can handle frauduent sellers sellers and scam artists better than ebay, that might give them a leg up. Unfortunately, there are currently 3 sports card listings for "1952" at O-stock, 2 of which are probably fake Mantles................and so it goes.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Once Overstock has more traffic in their auctions I will start listing there instead of Ebay! >>

Why? And when is 'more' enough?

For the buyers of a new auction house, it's a buyer's market. With typically more sellers than buyers, bargains can be found.

• Options
    As fsjeter pointed out, some dildo has been busy with his inkjet, cardstock, and "How To Make A Card You Printed Yourself Look Old" booklet. He has no less than a PAIR of T206 Wagners (and of course the predictable '52 Mantle) for sale on Overstock. Geez, two Wagners selling at the same time. That'll put Overstock on the map.
  • Options
    The sniping thing is another severe problem Overstock has. If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of an auction it gets extended. Therefore ending all sniping.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, I made my first visit to the Overstock site today before reading this thread. Competition is great - the American way.
    Good luck to them. But, what I saw was primarily baloney. So, if you like baloney sandwiches for lunch..........
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options

<< <i>I rarely post on ebay anymore soley because of the cost to post auctions >>

25 cents to list something is too much for you??
    Ebay is king and will always be king.Get used to it!
  • Options

Even the fake T206 Honus Wagner is on Overstock.com.. And the fake 1952 Mantle!. Same old grandfather story. Seller shill bids, too. So obvious by just looking in their "personal rating page => click on that 5.0 and you'll see their friends have the same name" image

RIP Snow
  • Options
    The markets say otherwise. Ebay's closing price was $38.25. Its split-adjusted 52 week high is $59.21 ($118.42 pre-split price). This is a WHOPPING 35.4% drop to investors who bought at the 52 week high. Ebay has a higher market cap than Ford and GM combined. If Overstock takes even 20% business away from eBay then Overstock's stock price will soar.
  • Options

<< <i>If Overstock takes even 20% business away from eBay then Overstock's stock price will soar. >>

But it won't. Which is too bad, because eBay could use some serious competition. I hope some dotcom does take a chunk out of eBay's business and force it to take competitve measures, but Overstock uses the same ineffective model as Yahoo. Next!
  • Options
    but Overstock uses the same ineffective model as Yahoo. Next!

jrdolan that might be but there is a reason why ebay stock has fallen 35%. It appears to me that overstock is really putting an emphasis on their auctions....I hear an awful lot of advertisements lately.
  • Options

<< <i>ebay is king right now... they are a monopoly! >>

They are not a monopoly just because the dominate their competition. A monopoly is when there is No other competition. For ebay there is competition - they all suck - but it is there non the less. So it is not accurate to call it a monopoly, but rather just a competitive slaughter!
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding Ebay stock... You do realize it split in February so naturally it is going to lose half its value at that time. >>

but have TWICE as many shares (if you are a stock holder) then the price continues to RISE. They are not going anywhere.
  • Options
    The markets say otherwise. Ebay's closing price was $38.25. Its split-adjusted 52 week high is $59.21 ($118.42 pre-split price). This is a WHOPPING 35.4% drop to investors who bought at the 52 week high. Ebay has a higher market cap than Ford and GM combined. If Overstock takes even 20% business away from eBay then Overstock's stock price will soar.

Are you taking in consideration that Ebay missed their projected earnings, on their last report? Even though it was by one cent. Everyone said when Ebay officially raised fees the listings on Overstock would increase dramatically well guess what they have not. Since the fee increase my fees on Ebay have actually gone down and my final prices have gone up and I am still listing 20 to 30 items a week.

As stated Overstock is following a business model that has failed and are doomed to the same failure.

First when Ebay announced its fee increases they were lying to potentional sellers by mistating the facts of Ebays fee increase. Tell me does this put any trust in them in my eyes NO..

Now there are reports that ALL employees at Overstock have access to customers finicial information, this is why it is apparently black listed by some credit card companies. Still I do not know how true this is, but I have read this on many Ebay and Overstock message boards recently.

Again how hard is it to put a completed item search, what are they hiding. To me this is Ebays most important tool for both buyers and sellers.

The anti-snipe policy just simply sucks.
  • Options
    also look at that many different FRANCHISES starting nationwide for opening Ebay Dropoff stores (like I-soldit On Ebay) this just pushes thousands and thousands more auctions and new interest to Ebay. No one is opening up Overstock, Yahoo, or Ubid dropoff stores. image
  • Options
    No one is opening up Overstock, Yahoo, or Ubid dropoff stores

My point is sometimes a company gets too big for its britches. Just check and see how the once almighty AOL has done recently.
  • Options
    AOL is still the number one dial up service provider in the country though. It is recogonizable there are still probaly millions of people who do not have internet access when they do so where are they gonna go first AOhell and Ebay as these are easily recogonizable.

Right now the Overstock card selection seems to be castoff from Ebay.

What incentive do the buyers have to leave Ebay?? As long as the buyers are there I will keep selling there.
  • Options
  • Options
    eBay's stock performance means something to a market investor, but not so much to card buyers and sellers. I'm not going to sell my cards for 50% less or not at all on Overstock or Yahoo just because eBay's stock price has dipped. Just being in that neighborhood, with all the crap and scams, devalues my cards. eBay has its own crap and scams, to be sure, but the proportion over there on Overstock seems much higher.

Bottom line, for both sellers and buyers, is that currently there is no viable mass-audience alternative to eBay. So we have to eat what they feed us and curse their fees and policies, but that's still miles beyond what is available at these other venues. Don't invest in eBay stock, invest in Overstock instead if you want, but I wouldn't abandon eBay as the auction marketplace of choice at this point.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Well said JR, I was wondering what the stock performance meant in regards to auctioning baseball cards. Maybe the original poster can enlighten us.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I hope so....
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Anyone still list/shop at Overstock auctions? Just wondering - because I don't.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more importantly, what ever happened to jrdolan? His posts were filled with quality!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Man, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day!! What happened to jrdolan!!! He was a regular and then disappeared!!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    He is still among us.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that has collected cards for years has to love e-bay. If they remember what it was like before the net, going to shows paying admittion, seeing the same old tired cards at your local store, paying way to much for commons and stars to complete your set. No variety. Sit at home and cards come to you. Competition would be great, but I love e-bay for everything. If you want to buy it, you can find it from your computer chair. I've bought a bed from Tennessee, 2 Rolex's from California, jewlery from New York and cards from all over the country. What a country!!!!
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Purchasing sports cards would be so much easier if people graded their cards appropriately...there is still nothing like viewing a card in hand before your purchase.
    Also, buying individual unopened boxes is also a big risk. Old stuff is searched and rewrapped or the one box per case that has the big pull is always known and removed if you dont buy an entire sealed case.
    But...for those graded cards and oddball items that you just dont find every day, I love ebay!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone use or buy off of NAXCOM??

Stingray
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    eBay has without a doubt been an immense positive in the expansion and improvement of my collection. There are those who lament not buying this or that in the "good ol' days" - and why not - but for breadth of selection I can't imagine how poorer my collections would be, if not for eBay. With sincere apologies to those who dislike eBay - I can't bring myself to.