Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Top 50 Peace VAMs - Let's see some pics

I'll get it started - here's the1922 VAM 12A Moustache

Comments

• Options
    Here's the King of Peace VAMs -- 34-D VAM#4 -- it's 1 of 2 MS64s graded by NGC. Cherried this off Ebay for $16.

TPN
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never mind +1
  • Options
    Here's a few MS coins I cherried in the last 2 weeks.....
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a fine looking whisker jaw.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

• Options
    They're mostly 62 or 3... I'm hoarding now waiting until PCGS finally starts attributing them... then they get put into plastic...
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the coins!

Wish I had some to post.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Xpipe, the hell with the VAM, that toning is Wicked Awesome!!! image
  • Options
    Hey Xpipe -- NNNNIIIICCCEEEE!

Pretty cool when you have a toned Peace VAM -- a true double rarity. When I first started looking for these I found 3 VAMs in my toned Peace collection.

TPN
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    imageimageimage

1921 VAM 3. Bought, and still is, raw for $30 as VG. I intend to keep her for a very long time. Also the very first Peace Dollar I ever bought too! image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Here is 3 coins I added to my Peace dollar collection this week. I had been looking for a nice "cheap" 34-d vam 4 for a bit and am happy with this one. new to the forum but I have been a member of the cts-v forum for a couple of years does that count.]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140136839744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270152719232&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270152471324&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

I have a ? about the 34-d's I always thought the vam 4 was the same obv as the vam 3 just with a changed out rev die when the small D die failed but my vam 4
    has a STRONGLY doubled date and none of my vam 3's or any of the vam 3's I have ever seen do. Do all vam 4's have a doubled date
  • Options
    Also I'm sure some of you saw that pcgs au55 34-d vam 4 go for almost 700 a week or so ago was that just a bidding war that got away from market price or is that more in line with current levels. I have only seen that one and the one I bought since I started looking a year or so ago.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Also I'm sure some of you saw that pcgs au55 34-d vam 4 go for almost 700 a week or so ago was that just a bidding war that got away from market price or is that more in line with current levels. I have only seen that one and the one I bought since I started looking a year or so ago. >>

Whoa...I sold a PCGS 50 34-D VAM-4 (at my cost) for much lower than that PCGS 55 price very recently. Oh well, didn't lose anything and helped a collector with his set. Win some, lose some, and break even sometimes. 55 is also cherished a little more than 50.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I have a ? about the 34-d's I always thought the vam 4 was the same obv as the vam 3 just with a changed out rev die when the small D die failed but my vam 4
    has a STRONGLY doubled date and none of my vam 3's or any of the vam 3's I have ever seen do. Do all vam 4's have a doubled date
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>I have a ? about the 34-d's I always thought the vam 4 was the same obv as the vam 3 just with a changed out rev die when the small D die failed but my vam 4
    has a STRONGLY doubled date and none of my vam 3's or any of the vam 3's I have ever seen do. Do all vam 4's have a doubled date >>

Without seeing the coin, I would suspect you do not have a VAM-4, but one with an strike-doubled obverse.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Although I would most likely think the same thing if dealing with a novice I assure you I'm not and I have several Vam-4 1934-d's lots of vam-3's and the vam -4's have a double date and the vam-3's don't. Any Peace dollar guy's out there who know anything about this. Or just more shots in the dark.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I would most likely think the same thing if dealing with a novice I assure you I'm not and I have several Vam-4 1934-d's lots of vam-3's and the vam -4's have a double date and the vam-3's don't. Any Peace dollar guy's out there who know anything about this. Or just more shots in the dark. >>

If it looks just like the coin I posted above, then you have a VAM-4. Look for the doubled spikes in the tiara (especially the 2 right ones), and the small D.
  • Options

<< <i>They're mostly 62 or 3... I'm hoarding now waiting until PCGS finally starts attributing them... then they get put into plastic... >>

When do you think that will happen Steve?I have a few too and have been waiting also.Is it at least in the works?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Although I would most likely think the same thing if dealing with a novice I assure you I'm not and I have several Vam-4 1934-d's lots of vam-3's and the vam -4's have a double date and the vam-3's don't. Any Peace dollar guy's out there who know anything about this. Or just more shots in the dark. >>

If it looks just like the coin I posted above, then you have a VAM-4. Look for the doubled spikes in the tiara (especially the 2 right ones), and the small D. >>

K thanks for the VAM 101. but it has nothing to do with my ? If the Vam-3 and the VAM-4 share the same obvs die and the difference is there reverse dies why do ALL OF MY VAM-4's have the 934 of there date doubled and none of MY VAM-3's do as I have quite a few of both, all slabbed. Please keep the condescending "how to spot a vam" or "you might not have a vam" comments, I have a high dollar: peace dollar collection and several sub sets plus a very nice VAM set with many top pop and near top pop "top 50" coins. I came to this site thinking there would be real coin aficionados with real expertise and did get a little help with Some old type3 double eagle ?'s I have had for a while but the rest of this site is fluff just like the rest of them out there. Maybe if I had asked you guys a "guess the grade ?" Would I get more help?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file