Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1961 Topps Mantle - Why does this seller do this?

There is a seller on ebay (daytrader433) that seems to have good feedback (99.4% score 802) yet he periodically lists these 2 Mantle cards, lets them run to near completion, and then pulls them right before they end.

I'm puzzled why he would do this??? Anyone have any ideas what he is trying to gain?

Here are the current listings:

1st one
2nd one

I've emailed him through ebay asking him but he never replied.

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. When he's ended the auctions in the past they've been bid up well into the $800-$900 range which seems to be the going price of these cards on ebay. The only possible motive I could think of is that he's hoping for over $1,000.... but how much is he burning up on listing fees, and how many buyers is he alienating, trying to hold out for a few more dollars?

Comments

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Its the same card...............two auctions for the same card....

........besides that anyone who has ever bid on a graded Mantle knows that the REAL bidding does not begin till there is 5 minutes left in the auction...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• No, they are 2 separate cards
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, they are 2 separate cards >>

Why would you say that when they both have the same cert #?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    -I've noticed this also. This guy obviously has questionable selling practices. I wouldn't buy from him.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    He's real shady. I've seen him pull some crap involving a very questionable 52 Topps Mantle also.
  • Maybe his wife keeps listing the card and when he figures it out he pulls it image
  • JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Without a doubt they are the same card (same cert number).
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    How is pulling it right before the end? Doesn't eBay now make it impossible to pull an auction with less than 12 hours left?
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I dont know , good question jrdolan. I think that Ebay has to let you stop the auction if you want to, but I'm really not sure.
  • kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    guess he's trying to test the market. A lot of people are crazy, so logic can't be applied to their reasoning.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Ok, it is true that the same card is pictured in the listings. I was almost certain that the last time I saw these run they had different certification numbers. Either way, it doesn't seem very responsible on his part to use the same scan on separate listings.

One interesting thing about the listings is the 'evil smiley face' icon at the end of the listing title. Why would he do that? Does he intend to imply that the whole thing is a hoax???? Anyway, the whole situation still doesn't make sense to me.

Also, as far as I know, ebay allows sellers to cancel any bids right up until the end of a listing and then cancel the listing. I suppose there may (on rare occasions) be a legitimate reason to pull a listing but this seller seems to abuse the privilege.

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

Evil smile face icon? Huh?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• True to form, the seller pulled these again!

If you go to the links you'll see:
    "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

I've sent an email to ebay to alert them to this seller's practice but haven't received a response yet. If I do, I'll post their response here.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my guess:

He's using it as an advertising teaser. It's a popular card of a popular player, yet not so expensive he can't afford to keep it in his inventory. He lists the card with other auctions and hopes it will draw bidders to those real auctions. He pulls the auction for the Mantle when it nearly ends, thus saving it for reuse while not having to pay final value fees.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    I have purchased from this guy once or twice and had great experiences. One card I purchased from him graded a PSA 10. He is one of the few sellers that I search out.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>I have purchased from this guy once or twice and had great experiences. One card I purchased from him graded a PSA 10. He is one of the few sellers that I search out.

Don >>

I've bought several cards for my Venorlandus set from him with never a problem. I have him in my Favourite Sellers list.
    Here we go again...............Text
  • Can we bid on this and then if he pulls the same shi..crap complain to ebay that the same
    card was offered, made not available and then offered again?
    Perhaps he is panicking that the card isn't going for what he wants, and has never
    heard of a reserve (or a snipe?)
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Comon; this is only the third time he's offered this card.

Maybe third time is a charm. He's got a history of selling some kind of nice stuff. And the first two auctions could have been cancelled because he realized he had duplicate auctions for the same card.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • I think the "evil smiley face" icon mentioned a few posts above is actually a "gift" icon!

Mark
    "Pete Rose would walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Sparky Anderson
  • I believe he was finally booted for this practice! If you check the last auction out it says "No longer a registered user".

Here is the link

Below is the response I finally got from ebay. Guess persistence eventually pays off.

Hello,

My name is Perry and thank you for taking the time to write eBay with
    your concerns. I'm happy to help you further.

We are concerned about violations on the site and have thoroughly
    investigated your report. Please be assured that we have taken the
    appropriate action in accordance with our site policies. Our actions may
    include issuing a warning, temporary or indefinite suspension, or
    terminating the membership.

Because privacy concerns are important to everyone we are not at liberty
    to discuss the details of another user's account. We hope that you
    understand our position in this situation. We also hope that it assures
    you that your personal account history will always remain private.

Again, we appreciate your assistance in keeping eBay a fun and safe
    place to trade.

Regards,

Perry
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team
    Nice work. He deserved it.