Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally 50% Complete On My 1971 Topps Set

Well over three years later, I have finally hit the half way mark on my PSA 7 or better 1971 Topps set (actually right at 50%). One more card and I am over the hump! Yippee! It has been tough, but fun, just to get to 50%. I fortunately believe the last 50% should be much easier. I am about finished with the high numbers (need about 20, fortunately have at least half of those in raw that should grade 7 or 8) and have all the stars just about done too (Marichal and Killebrew are my glaring one's missing, I have ok raw copies but already graded seems to be pretty plentiful on these two). It is now just pretty much focusing on low numbered commons.

I am still, however, one card short of having a complete raw/graded set. Card #731 Jim Qualls. I hate this card; I don't think I will ever own it. In fact, I am not even sure it exists. image

My goal is to finish the set in the next three years, funds permitting (moving into a new home, three kids and a wife, you know the drill). I can say for certain that I will never again attempt a set this big in PSA form. My only other two PSA sets in the works are a 1978 Kiss Donruss set and an 86 Fleer Basketball set; both manageable at 132 cards. I am also over half way there on my Kiss set. Yippee!

For those of you who are in the process of putting together, or have put together, more than one 600+ card set in PSA form, my hats off to you. You have to be nuts too! image

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations Mefer. The 1971 baseball set is a nice one. I marvel at those who have the patience, funds, and fortitude to complete the mega sets. I guess I'm a wimp. All but one of my sets number less than 100 cards with most only having 50 or less cards.

Good choice of sets to collect. I want to eventually put together one or two nice sets from each of the major sports. Good luck.

Peter
    Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Congrats mef.

May the 2nd half come cheap & easy.

Best of luck Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Congrats Mefer. That set is a tough mountain to climb. I knowimage
    The next 50% gets steeper. Way steeper!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats Mefer. That set is a tough mountain to climb. I knowimage
    The next 50% gets steeper. Way steeper! >>

Yup ......... ..I have to agree, the second half will be tougher and much more expensive!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Mefer,
    I just got back about 50-1971's in 7. I thought they were real sharp and should be 8's. Email me if your interested, I'll sell them cheap.

rjc012661@aol.com
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! Im sure glad I just collect hockey cards. Much smaller sets.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I am interested to see how the next 50% goes. I think I planned well, dollar wise, by getting the stars out of the way and almost all of the high numbers (geez I even recently for the first time paid over 30 bucks for a high numbered sp PSA 8 common in the set; never thought I would do that). With that being done, I am hopeful it will not be too tough and painful. image By the way, please one of you sell me a 731 Jim Qualls in PSA 7 condition. I still hate that card. image
  • Options
    I am collecting 1971 psa 7 baseball.

Would love to see what you have and would buy or trade (whichever you prefer)

rickjwalker@charter.net