Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 Buffs arrived today...all 2000 of them..my grades posted

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Wow... Ineresting stats.
    My sets also arrived today. I'm really anxious to compare your results with mine...
  • Options
    Aren't the Bisons 2005 - not 04's. Thanks for the stats, tho. Blank planchets - nothing on them? hmmmm
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What an awesome coin I must say! The finest design I've seen in my life(Born in 1967). The coins are just plain neat!! The Buffalo design is nicer than the old one imho. I think this coin will inspire many new collectors. I gave away 6 coins in my small town( cashiers, gas station guy ie.) and everyone was thrilled to say the least to get one. Anyway may breakdown and analysis: 2000 coins graded in about 3 hours....yes I grade faster than PCGS!! 2004p Buffs: Better than 04's but pathetic overall. 2 in 66, 4 in 65, 25 in 64, 900+ in 63 or lower. 2004d Buffs: These coins were mostly prooflike but beat and battered. I have to believe that this year may yield a 69. My first ten coins yielded a blank or unstamped planchet. The rest as follows: 1 in 67, 4 in 66, 50-60 in 65 and 900+ in 64 or lower. Even if you hate Moderns you will love this coin. I believe it might even inspire some of the haters here. Good job US Mint!! Chrisimage >>

Thats good. I'm taking my time waiting on them - got a mom-in-law who goes to the local bank in downstate Illinois and gets me a few rolls - and this bank gets new quarters and nickels before the Chicago banks get them.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    Got mine today too, and I noticed that the "D's" were quite glossy. I don't know about proof like, but impressive for sure. I didn't tear them open, though, just looking at all the end coins.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool update, I do agree the design is the best that the mint has made in a long time, I don't necessarily agree better than the original (but that's what makes this such a fun hobby).

I find it interesting your "P"s we better than the "D"s, my phillys were trashed in the roll that I opened. The denvers were not too much better, but they had fewer bag marks overall.

Thanks for the information.

I hope that the enthusiasm that this coin seems to be developing encourages the mint to get much more creative and bold in their designs in the future, especially with the centennial Lincoln.

I aplaud the mint in their efforts on this coin. I hope the second nickel this year is equally awome.
  • Options
    Well curiosity got the best of me and I opened a 'D' roll. First thing I noticed was that the face on obverse really seems to pick up a lot of rubbing problems.

My grading skills leave a bit to be desired so here's what I determined:

My 'better than the others' pile was less than half of the 'not so hot' pile. image

I found 6 (in a bank roll) with a long thin "raised?" *straight* line going through middle of buff's back (just in front 5th leg) extending from above back into field - all the way up to the 'E' in States . . . to below stomach into field, about halfway down to the mound. Not sure what you call that. Anyone have a clue? (You can see it better if you tilt it a different way - lines are all the same on all 5 coins.)

A couple other had some strange letters - not sure if a ding or what -eyes aren't all that. I will look again tomorrow in the light of day.
    Anyway I had fun checking them out, and gave one to hubby to take to work. I let him take the mutilated one, which was on end of roll. image I think he will be about one of the first in our town to circulate one. Told him to take it to cashier and tell her he needs 5 pennies and see what happens. I doubt if any of those folks even have a clue what it is.

Ooops - had to take that one back and give him another - it had a line.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Neptun, the raised line could be a die crack or gouge. Both will be raised. Any smooth curve is more likely a gouge. Jagged direction changes are more likely a crack. Neat find worth a couple buck premium (or more if the becomes the 5th leg variety!).
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    the raised line could be a die crack or gouge. Both will be raised. Any smooth curve is more likely a gouge. Jagged direction changes are more likely a crack.

It doesn't appear curved or jagged. I don't know a lot about errors.

LOL on 5th leg - I took a pic of the line -best I could, but it did come out - at least you can see it. (No, my finger is only on the rim.) The top of line actually goes up to the E, altho it doesn't show that in pic.
    There may be more in the roll - I guess I should check.

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Looks like a native american speared the buff. No one said the P's were better. The D's are apparently the best. I have not rcvd mine yet but got a notice that they shipped.
  • Options
    I got this roll from the bank today.
  • Options

Wow!

A "Wounded Buffalo" variety like the Sac! image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    I am still not sure exactly what it is, besides a wounded buffalo or speared buffalo - I mean how was the poor dear injured?

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My first ten coins yielded a blank or unstamped planchet. >>

Wow, I'd think a blank planchet from a one-year type coin would be worth a lot! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Hey: "Buffalo on a shish-ka-bob". Could wind up as a scarce variety, because I don't think they'd release very many of those. It's pretty obvious from the picture.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

Is that what you call Buffalo-bob?
    or would that be Buffy the slayed?

• Options
    I bought a Denver bag of 500. Found 9 that were worth submitting.

I agree, these "D" coins were very glossy, especially the obverse. Moreover, the obverse is susceptible to ticks and bagmarks. I saved a lot of time by looking at the obverse first.
  • Options
    Hello all,

After opening a roll (of bank rolled) "D's"; I noticed the obverse tended to have more bag marks (which makes sense due to the larger fields) than the reverse. So far none have been worth submitting.

On a similar note, our friends at Coin vault image were selling their "first day issue" certified (ICG) sets at MS 67. Considering how easy ICG hands out MS69/70's, I'm beginning to wonder if hoarding (PCGS) MS68's/69's might be a good long term play.

My proof coins (Buffalo nickel) are in reasonable quality, so I wouldn't expect there to be any shortage of high grade examples for years to come, and they way people are hoarding the coin, makes me believe the lower grades (MS60-64) will be a nice short term play, but available in quantity after a while.

Thoughts?

-g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how they where found Very cool. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    wow, so that's how the speared bison got named! Pretty neat. So after skimming that other thread, it seems that Neptune was being accused of hyping the name 'speared bison', when actually it wasn't even her who came up with the idea, but she yet was still being accused of it. This thread is the proof that clackamas and Dabigkahuna were the instigators of initially naming the coin! Well, it does kind of look like a spear, I guess.

oh I found this -- Ken Potter calls this error a die dent and webpage named 'spiked buffalo' What's up with that?

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/2005D5cSpikedBuffalo.htm
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont know but cool to see that it was found here. Ken just gets mad if he does not find it first is what I think, If he found it first it would be all over that he fond it and would have the speared butt to if he found that one to. But that is just me.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, so that's how the speared bison got named! Pretty neat. So after skimming that other thread, it seems that Neptune was being accused of hyping the name 'speared bison', when actually it wasn't even her who came up with the idea, but she yet was still being accused of it. This thread is the proof that clackamas and Dabigkahuna were the instigators of initially naming the coin! Well, it does kind of look like a spear, I guess.

oh I found this -- Ken Potter calls this error a die dent and webpage named 'spiked buffalo' What's up with that?

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/2005D5cSpikedBuffalo.htm >>

She was the one hyping it, even if she wasn't the one who came up with the name. I was here when this all went on....she hyped it and got quite upset when folks didn't agree with her as it impacted her sales (she was the sole seller for awhile on ebay, I believe).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Ken P. sure threw alot of do-do on the WI extra leaf quarters. They may have been a great HIT if found in MI back in 2004 !! Several Coin Error Experts have done their share to stomp out the WI interest & value. Now, collectors can get a nice example at 2004 prices. Thanks KP & others.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    well I read that other recent thread(s) with links, and I guess I just didn't see it that way. Seems she was an innocent discoverer of a nice error coin thus becoming the subject of controversy because she defended herself against some rather jealous people. From what I gathered there seemed to be a lot of them because she got her error coin a PCGS number, when they could not get one for theirs. Well anyway, it was an interesting read for a cold winter's night. And good for her - I see it is now a registry requirement. I might have to get one of those nickels for my Jeffersoin collection.

Keep warm and Happy holidays to everyone on the forum!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file