Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I don't know why I bother to sell on ebay......

Auctions of mine that ended minutes apart:

1983 Topps *TONY GWYNN RC* PSA 8 NM/MT NQ (5171399257) - $7.58
1983 Topps *RYNE SANDBERG RC* PSA 8 NM/MT NQ (5171398905) - $11.50

More proof you can find some bargains if you spend all day on ebay. I projected $8 on Ryno and $15 on Gwynn. I guess when I "pro" I make a "ject" out of "e" and "d".

Lee

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    doesnt sound like you were too far off, overall..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yeah, I'm not bothered so much about what I got for them. Just that a nice PSA 8 Gwynn could go so low. Too bad I have morals and am not a shiller.

Lee
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    At least you picked up the 1971 Steve Carlton for $1.29--so there are many good deals on eBay. I wish I had seen that one before it ended!
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    The perils of modern rears its ugly head again.

GG
  • Options
    Might try ending your auction at a different time... the next time you sell.

I usually find the best deals on Monday as people are usually too busy getting back to work and don't have time to search the bay. Also many people were probably heading home from work or eating dinner as your auction was ending.

I think the best time to end the auction is Sunday afternoon/evening. Better luck next time!
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    The timing might be the answer. I sure would've paid more for the Gwynn if I'd known about it. But, since I'm not concentrating on him right now, I probably would've passed right over the auction, thinking that I'd never get a bargain on a PSA 8. You learn something every day.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Note to self:

Don't end auctions on Monday.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Monday ain't bad. Those are low value cards that bottom dwellers are looking for a bargain on....and....they were successful.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Monday has nothing to do with it - I end auctions on Monday all the time, and it works out perfectly. Legacy Sports also runs auctions Monday to Monday, and they had some sweet cards bringing crazy money ending tonight.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I agree that those might have done better ending on Sat. or Sun. night. But maybe not that much better. I have never got close to SMR for PSA 8 stuff from the '80s. The demand just isn't there.

I believe that except for maybe half a dozen cards, '80s material is not worth grading unless you're sure it will come back PSA 9 or better. Some even need to be 10's to be worthwhile. I would have said Gwynn was one of those that could be worth an 8, and look, he just barely covered the cost of grading and shipping if it was graded in a $5 special. Henderson, Clemens, Ripken, a couple of the high-demand Bonds' rookies ... even among those not a lot of profit to be found in PSA 8.

Better believe 4_Sharp_corners and DSL have mothballed stacks of raw '80s key cards that they judge will only get PSA 8 and thus don't bother grading.
  • Options
    It seems as though I've done better selling lots of the same PSA 8 RCs then I do selling them individually. My guess is that investors prefer to buy one lot of 5 cards than 5 individuals because it's less of a hassle. For example, a guy who is investing in RCs of HOFers is more likely to pay $60 for 4 Gwynn RCs than he is to pay $15 for one. Seems that PSA graded star cards are the opposite becuase guys are only looking for one to complete a set or master collection. Does this make sense or am I just seeing things?

Lee
  • Options
    I would think the opposite.

Investors already are going to try and low ball you because they are planning to turn your product around for a profit. Thus with every additional penny that they bid that's a cent less of profit and an increase in their risk.

Collectors probably wouldn't even be interested in a lot as they would only need 1 for their set or collection.

I see lots of cards go for much less per card than the individual cards do.