Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Set - 1991 Desert Shield Baseball Cards

Group,

Since I am a big fan of these cards and love the article (The 1991 Desert Shield Set: True Pre-War Cards) Kevin Saucier, (onlychild) wrote for the April SMR magazine... I thought I would post it here and see what you think about it?

I think this has to be one of the best articles I have ever come across. I do know this set has to be one of the toughest sets to complete...

Kevin is an avid card collector from Los Angeles and an American veteran. He can be reached by email at onlychild@hotmail.com.

KUDOS goes to Kevin, (onlychild) !

KUDOS also goes to Top Collector Sammy (phreakydancin) who has completed over 50% of this set)! WOW!!!

Enjoy your reading!

The 1991 Desert Shield Set: True Pre-War Cards - by Onlychild

GOD Speed,
<><

HOOAH!

Rick

BUYING all 1991 Topps Desert Shield Baseball Cards - Gold Seal in Top Right Corner of cards.

We will pay top dollar for all PSA 9 & 10 cards.

We want all stars and commons. If you have any cards... please email me DS1991TOPPS@aol.com

THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
.....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    great article.. so there's only 786 cards in the set? i never realized that.. arent Topps sets normally 792 cards? which cards did they leave out?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I don't think he counted the card list... as cards... There are 792 in this set.

THANKS,

.....Since 1991 HOOAH!

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    What a great article, especially on how to identify fakes. I tore it out to keep.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Glad you posted the article becaue I STILL have not received my SMR. I finally got a chance to read it and it looks like the editors were kind. There is really no difference between the rough draft and the final version.

It's a great that they published info on modern cards. May your cards increase in value.

<< <i>I think this has to be one of the best articles I have ever come across >>

Wow...what very kind comment.

Many Thanks!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hi Kevin,
    I believe there was a Kevin Saucier that pitched for the Tigers in the early 80's. Any relation?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Kevin,

I have forward this link to him.
    THANKS,

.....Since 1991 HOOAH!

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of checklists... I pulled one from a Desert Shield pack and it didn't have the stamp on it... is that the way they come? I felt kindof ripped off! It has no indications that it's from the Desert Shield set, but I see one had been graded (Checklist 5 #656). How can it be listed as a Desert Shield Checklist without having any proof that it's from this set?
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>KUDOS also goes to Top Collector Sammy (phreakydancin) who has completed over 50% of this set)! WOW!!! >>

Thanks for the recognition, but my name's not Sammy, and I don't collect these cards. You must be thinking of someone else. image
  • Options
    I recently picked up the Alan Trammell Desert Shield All Star in a 9, and his regular card in a 8 (like to find a 9). The 91 Topps set was really well done - lots of action shots, and the cool 40th anniversary logo. If it wasn't so big, it would be cool to build this set in PSA form. It must be an incredible challenge to build a graded DS set.
  • Options
    Speaking of checklists... I pulled one from a Desert Shield pack and it didn't have the stamp on it... is that the way they come? I felt kindof ripped off! It has no indications that it's from the Desert Shield set, but I see one had been graded (Checklist 5 #656). How can it be listed as a Desert Shield Checklist without having any proof that it's from this set?

------------------------------

Jeff,

When these cards first came out I wrote TOPPS and asked them about the checklist. The answer they game me was there is no room on the checklist to add the shield and the 1991 DS and 1991 Regular checklist are the same.

• Options
    recently picked up the Alan Trammell Desert Shield All Star in a 9, and his regular card in a 8 (like to find a 9). The 91 Topps set was really well done - lots of action shots, and the cool 40th anniversary logo. If it wasn't so big, it would be cool to build this set in PSA form. It must be an incredible challenge to build a graded DS set.
    -------------------

No 9s or 10s have been grade as of today - Only 5 PSA 8s - I have several in now getting graded... I will let you know if I get more then one back.

And it is very challenging and very expensive trying to build a PSA set. I saw what you paid for that PSA 9!
    -------------------------------

<< KUDOS also goes to Top Collector Sammy (phreakydancin) who has completed over 50% of this set)! WOW!!! >>

Thanks for the recognition, but my name's not Sammy, and I don't collect these cards. You must be thinking of someone else.
    ---------------------------------
    Sorry about that phreakydancin... I could had put sammyslippers
  • Options
    So there are only 786 identifible DS cards since the checklist are the same as the regular set
  • Options
    "No 9s or 10s have been grade as of today - Only 5 PSA 8s - I have several in now getting graded... I will let you know if I get more then one back".
    Thanks! I have 7 of the card, but I don't think any of them would grade a 9.
    Jim
  • Options
    So there are only 786 identifible DS cards since the checklist are the same as the regular set

That is correct and from the guys on this forum we still have to get the checklist graded to have a complete PSA set.