Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Just won an unopened 1972 Topps Cello for Less than $70. Did I get taken?

At first I was elated, but then after I noticed the lack of bids, I was wondering if everyone else knew something I didn't. The seller looks legit. He was even selling some other '72s including a Rose, which I also bought. The packs is a 5th series as were all the other cards he was selling. I don't know how to link ,but the auction # is 5171901872. What do you guys think? Did I get a good deal or did I get hosed? What does an unopened 5th series cello usually go for? I've never seen one for sell before.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    cello linkeroo

if your happy with the price u paid I see no reason to think you got hosed.

how about somewhere in between? you didnt make out like a bandit, but didnt get robbed either.

send it to gai and have it graded. then u will know for sure. I mean it is only 70.00
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I was just thinking there may be some reseon to believe the pack wasn't legit due to the low ending price. I mean a 5th series wax pack graded in the 8.o-8.5-9.0 range goes for at least $200. I figure this cello is much more rare than a wax pack from the same series which is why I can't figure to low ending price.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you bought it for $69.08 when you were expecting to pay over $200. You might want to ask him if it's OK to send $200 if it will make you feel any better.
  • Options
    Look. My feeling is this. If the pack is authentic and unopened, I think I got an awesome deal, no question. But the lack of bidders and the low ending price is leading me to question whether or not this is the real deal. I just need some opinions from someone more experienced in this than me not smart as* comments.
  • Options
    It's just that one is not used to hearing about a collector who is concerned that he paid too low for an item.
  • Options
    Perhaps it was the admitted "don't know cards" seller that made people dubious. Although he
    seemed to know enough to sell the Santo card separately...
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    LodiLodi Posts: 78
    How many cards in the cello? He sold 27 cards in seperate auctions. If 27 cards come in the cello it's probably legit.
  • Options
    No ill will, Chris. I'm not concerned not that I paid too little, but that I paid from some thing that was altered,resealed, unauthentic, etc. I am new at buying unopened material and expected this to go much higher than it did, and the lack of intrest kind of scares me I guess. If it is clean without rips, tears, or cracks I ill probably send it to GAI. Otherwise I will probably open it. Still curious though. What does one of these normally sell for?
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I believe the reason for the lack of bids is because 1972 baseball cellos were wrapped in clear cellophane and then placed inside a blue cardboard box that read "Topps baseball cards 25 cents". I personally have never seen a 1972 (or 70 and 71) cello pack with this type of wrapper. Sorry.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I have bought unopened 72 packs off of ebay (waxpacks, as I have never bought a cello). I have paid between $48 and $62. Many went for more but no more then say $75.00...................These were all ungraded.

If the cello is indeed legit you got it for a inexpensive price.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    After looking at the pack, it appears the corners are a bit dinged up. It's still a nice pack but it doesn't appear that you'll pull any high grade cards.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    That's a legit pack, great find! Wish I would have found itimage
  • Options

<< <i> if it is you got the deal of the century, send it to gai and find out. otherwise you got 27 cards which appear to be decent for 70 bucks which is still not a bad deal. if it is legit , grade it and sell it as the major pack guys will pony up serious bucks since this is a rare variation which most probably don't know about or have. >>

..............agrees with packcollecter.

Jason...DO NOT OPEN THIS CELLO, unless you find out it is not legit. This cello pack would be worth much more unopened then opened.

• Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    jason- i've never seen the "variation" of that wrapper. a couple of years ago i busted 4 series 5. '72 cellos. i found them among boxes of 70's commons that i bought in bulk in the mid 80's. ALL were of the wrapped and boxed variety.

i'm skeptical of the pack, but i'm not an expert. try contacting steve hart of bbcexchange or mark murphy, they will know for sure.

i know your building the 72 set, but busting packs is costly with few dividends. last year my wife (god bless her) bought me a 72 series 3 wax box, the box was legit and the packs were mostly mint. while the thrill of ripping the packs was awesome, the payoff wasn't. i had a bunch of 9's including a clemente but for over 3 g's i could have bought at least 40-50 psa 9's. in the end the box yielded no 10's and about 16 9's to go along with a bunch of 8's.

having said that, you never know, the pack may yield a psa 9 ryan or rose. in any event good luck.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i'm skeptical of the pack, but i'm not an expert. try contacting steve hart of bbcexchange or mark murphy, they will know for sure.

very good advice, both will answer you fast too. Since this guy who has been living in NY for 30 years ( up until 3 weeks ago he was a UK seller) Did not accept paypal and in capital letters claims ALL SALES FINAL you have not yet paid. Id take the neg as opposed to getting a resealed bogus pack. Good luck in any event.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Packcollector, I hope your right. Now that I hear all this, I definitely won't be opening the pack unless I find out its not authentic. The fact that the seller was selling other series 5 cards kind of helped me with the decision. And just his lack of knowledge about what he had made me believe he was telling the truth. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • Options
    Well, its been 5 days since I emailed Mark Murphy and Steve Hart and I've yet to get a response from either. I'm really anxious to find out about this pack!
  • Options
    Just got a response from Steve Hart of BBCExchange. He says he has never seen a '72 cello like this, although he recently came across some '72 Football cellos with the same wrapper which were authentic and unopened, and this was the first time he had ever seen these. Therefore, very possible, he says this pack did exist in small numbers towards the end of baseball season. He goes on to tell me that the pack is most likely real in his opinion, based on his experience with the '72 FB cellos. If this pack is authenticated by GAI anyone care to guess what it might bring on ebay?
  • Options
    A rare cello pack as such?

$200-$400 is my wide guess

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Steve also told me that regular cellos from the 5th series bring $400-$500. This being a variation, it should bring a good bit more than that. So, PC, I hope you're waaaayyy off! image Of course all this is contingent on GAI authenticating the pack.
  • Options
    I just got the pack and the Rose in today. I am flabbergasted to say the least. The Rose is almost a lock for a 9, and the pack, well, all I can say is WOW! Very near perfect. I can't imagine how a pack can stay that tightly wrapped with a perfect seal all these years without splitting open. The seller even sent me the empty wrapper from the cello the Rose came out of. I wish I had bought all the cards he pulled from that pack. I'll be getting this thing off to GAI sometime this week. I'll post an update when I get it back.
  • Options
    jason- GREAT news!! as we had discussed i was skeptical, but if steve feels confident about the pack i'd be thrilled. i can't guess what the pack may fetch but i would call GAI and try to have them research it and label it accordingly. i thought mark murphy was handling the unopened stuff for GAI but apparently he is no longer doing it.
    even better, if the rose makes a 9 or even an 8 you made quite a score!!
  • Options
    Told ya it was legit! Congratulations man! If I were you I would hang on to that one......we need a scan when you get it back from GAI.
  • Options
    Thanks, Jim. The Rose will no doubt get an 8. I would bet my set on it. The left edge has just the slightest hint of a rough cut, other than that, and 60/40 T/B centering it's pretty much flawless. Really hoping for that 9! I have already contacted GAI and told them what I know about the pack and the opinion of Steve. I'm having a problem printing their submission form, but soon as i get one I'll be sending it right off.
  • Options
    Thanks, Jayhawk. I'll get yall a pic when I get it back.
  • Options
    Got the pack back from GAI yesterday. It is indeed authentic and unopened and graded a 7.5 (NM+). The only thing that ticks me off is not only did GAI not meet their turnaround time (they did give me a discount) they didn't label the flip with what type of variation this is as I requested. They didn't even mark it 5th series. Oh, yeah-- The Rose I bought from this same guy came back a PSA 9. Back to the pack. Would you send it back to GAI to have it labeled properly, or is it pretty self evedint that it is a 5th series and not your ordinary '72 cello. I want to maximize value on this when I put it up on ebay, but I don't know what to call it. Even Steve Hart said he had never seen one of these. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Good on ya Jason!!

I would not worry about how the flip is labeled. The pack will sell itself. If you plan to sell it on EBAY, just make sure you have a very thorough description explaning 5th series and the rarity of the pack. I would even quote Steve Hart. Make sure the two scans (front and back) are large enough to clearly see the front and back card.

So wheres the scan??

• Options
    Sweet news on the pack and Rose! You made out nicely......we need scans of both please!

Congrats again.
  • Options
    I believe he sold the Rose and got some BIG bucks for it!!

• Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I'm jealous. Nice going.
  • Options
    maybe the whole humble "I'm a Londoner" prose scared away bidders?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff