Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I finally took a picture of my 1750 2-daler plate money!

...but when the pics load, I'm gonna post it on the Liteside to stir 'em up a bit... taunt them about how puny their coins are. image

I'll link it up when it's posted. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image This ought to be good !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Your plate is just a small brother to my big one.
    I have a 1660 8 Daler plate that is 14 in. X 27 in. and weighs 26 pounds.

Those old Sweds were big & could make really large coins.

I have about 15 plates, and by weight, it must be one of the heaviest collections.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Bob! You're still lurking around! I thought you'd gone Yeti long ago.

You'll note I quoted your info from the original thread I posted on mine.

You should post your Big Daddy over there on that Liteside thread and taunt me for posting such a dinky one. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Nothing like a big slab of copper. image

Nice item.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll have to get a shot of it with a couple of the small 2 Daler & 1/2 Daler plates in it.

I took it to a coin Club meeting, and the most common comment was WOW! followed by a long silence.

Plates have been lots of fun, and yes, it's a really large hunk of copper.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
  • Options
    Now, here's a question... grading.

I see Fine to not-quite Very Fine detail on some of the crowns in the corner stamps of mine, but the quality of the stamps is admittedly not perfect, and I know that could take its toll on grade and/or price. Could I get away with calling this Fine?

Krause says, what... $450 in Fine? Hmm.

I know I'd be dreamin' to ask or expect that much for it. But I wonder how far off I'd be if I priced it at $350.

• Options
    Please don’t be offended at what I will say for grading, and Krause prices for these. First, if it were a non Nicobar plate with all of the edges intact, and no corrosion on the plate it will easily sell for $1,000 to $1,400. Yours shows lots of corrosion on the edges, but the stamps are in pretty good condition.
    There is a good chance that your plate did not actually circulate, but was stored in their warehouse until the plate money was demonetized. There were a very large batch of that date, but most other dates were mixed in the Nicobar shipwreck find.
    All of the Krause prices are the same for each size, and do not take into account how many of the plates from each date have survived. Grading is also very subjective for these, and is usually based on overall condition or corrosion, and less on the wear.
    Due to the crude methods of stamping them, the impression or quality of the stamp varies quite a lot, so the stamp counts less. You would need to see a good one to compare it, and then you would see the difference.
    I would guess that your plate should sell for between 300 & 400 dollars.

Good Luck
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Please don’t be offended at what I will say for grading, and Krause prices for these. >>

<< <i>I would guess that your plate should sell for between 300 & 400 dollars. >>

Why would I be offended by finding out I was in the right ballpark by guessing $350? image

Thanks- you've been a huge help.

(I have $280 in it, but it's cool enough that I thought I would price it at $350-365, and if it sells, great. If not, fine.)

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hey, just for fun, next time you take a pic of it do the ol' US penny next to it for size comparison image
  • Options
    I did that, actually, but lost the penny when I had to crop it out in order to trim the pic to a manageable filesize.

... just as I had to crop out the other thing that was at the top edge of the pic. image

• Options
    Hello platmynt collectors!

I have a friend auction in Sweden of a 1644, 10 Daler, Platemynt(Platecoin) copy.

The starting bid is Swedish Kroners 8500, or almost US dollar $1100.

The 1644 10 daler plate coin, weighs in at 43 pounds of copper! Now that is a coin!

If anyone is interested in the auction, starts 12 Jan 06.

I will have to email the bids 24 hours ahead of time.

If anyone is interested, just contact me and let me know.

Take care,

Jeff
    jeffrey911
  • Options
    An opening bid of $1100 for a copy?? I don't think so. Especially considering it is probably a modern copy!

At $200 or so maybe.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    That's what I was thinking... "copy"???? $69.95 on Sh*tAtHome or QVC...
  • Options
    Actually the 10 Daler copy that he is talking about is the type that was made in the late 1800s or early 1900s. These are high quality and designed for collectors since only 8 real pieces exist, and all of them are in museums. The stamps are excellent quality and the copy is very well done. That is not a bad price, since I have been offered two of them in Sweden over the last 3 years from about 2,000 to 3,000 dollars.

There was one on e-bay a few months ago that went for $1,500, and the collector who got it was happy with the price he paid.

My 8 Daler copy cost me about $1,000 plus postage for 26 pounds about 2 years ago. My mailman could not figure out what could weigh so much and be that shape. It is 15 inches high and 28 inches wide and each of the stamps is about 2 inches in diameter.

Here is an image of it.

Bob
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Bob, that is an outstanding piece, copy or no.

I've got to admit I'm jealous.imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lord, Does Airtite or Dansco make holders for those??????? That is too way cool.........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    Hello Bob,

Thank you for the support on the 1644 10 Daler Platmynt. This platmynt copy, weighs approx. 43 pounds! The starting bid is $1100.

I can imagine that it will go for a higher bid. I would bid (US dollars) $22-2400. and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is that you get a great coin for a low price!

The auctions are incremented bids, if your max is 2400. and the next highest is 1700. your winning bid would be 1750. plus shipping, and exchange fee for conversion of dollars to Kroners by the bank in Sweden.

I don't know the shipping cost for a 43 pound coin, but you are also responsible for whatever the shipping cost. You can safely trust this club to not gouge you on the shipping and auction bids.

The auction is at a swedish coin club that is well established and very trustworthy. I have bought from their auctions for over a year and never had any problems.

I just spent $3000. on coins and going to bid on a 1893-s silver dollar at this time! otherwise, I would jump at the chance to own this piece, I have wanted one for years.

This is my problem, bid on the 1644 platmynt or the 1893-s in fine condition? What a tough choice.

If you are interested in bidding, I will need to know and email your bid withing a few hours, otherwise, I will miss the 24 hour deadline for submitting bids. I will check back here later today, I got to work too!

Thanks, Jeff
    jeffrey911
  • Options
    I've always wanted plate money, but tooooooo expensive!!!!!!!!

Esp. the thalers!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Jeffrey911 – at the moment I am going to pass on the 10 Daler piece. I just won two Plates from a Danish auction, and there is another one that I am looking at. My budget is already stretched farther than I would like. The 1893 S Morgan looks like all of the other Morgans from 4 feet away, so maybe you should go for it. Every person, collector or not, who sees my 8 Daler piece is amazed at it, and usually says “WOW”.

I would like to find out more about the auction that you are mentioning. I regularly bid on auctions in Norway, Denmark and Sweden. I understand all three languages so communication is not a problem for me.

Please turn on your privet message function so it will be easier to communicate directly.

Bob
  • Options
    Hm. I'm surprised to see this old thread resurface. Well, I recently sold my piece.

• Options
    Hi Bob,

I will be happy to send you information for you to view. I hope that I have updated my profile, so that you may contact me directly. Just let me know who you are, in the subject of the e-post.

I have always been interested in the history of the scandinavian countries. I can read most of the Western European languages also. I lived in Netherlands and germany for 3.5 years, (a long time ago).

I have a question on one of your coins. The Nicobar platmynt with the holes in it looks familiar to me, did you purchase it within the last 12-18 months?

I wish to thank you once more for posting all the great information on Plate Money! The pictures of your collection are great too!

Thanks Jeffrey
    jeffrey911