Home Stamps Forum
Options

Great Britain 1850's - 1950's Military Letter Handcancels - HELP!

Hello

1st time posting here. bare with me.

i purchased a lot from a dealer of great britain military letter handcancels. not sue how to identify. a different dealer said these kinds of cancels are highly collectable.

any suggestions for online reference or books?

also, if anyone just wants to "chat" about GB stamps ingeneral, fine with me.

i know why so many people prefer coins, cause they are magpies and coins are shiny and there is less squinting involved.

wonder what jayne will think when she sees her photo being used by me. she said shes over 50, looks like a fine 50 to me!

bye
first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the forum. I wonder what clw will say whn he sees you using his icon. image
  • Options
    was scrolling through, saw it, liked it, used it. thought they (icons) were all optionally available, didnt know they had "owners". guess i could change it if you think it matters.

any tips on mjy stamp question?

wayne
    first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.
  • Options
    there, ive changed it....
  • Options
    Sorry I don't know anything about your Military Handcancels but there' a few that stop by now and again that do. Some one will know about it. Dude relax and wear your flax jacket. A lot of the icons don't have "owners" but some do. We are allowed to upload our own icons on the 15th of the month are thereabouts. Watch the Open Forum for it. I was just teasing
    I'm sure clw won't mind you admiring his icon.
  • Options
    thanks lace up. im new here, cool forum. i wanna be respectful. thank you for making me at ease.

being your the 1st person who has akcnowledged my existence here, what is your are of interest with stamps? or is that a loaded question? i know it is in my case.

best
    wayne
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Sorry, can't help you on your military letter handcancels. Philately has so many areas one can collect or learn. Last week, I was speaking with a dealer who told me about stamps/letters used by prisoners in German prison camps that were sent between each other in the camp, never to the outside world.

Doug
  • Options
    doug,
    wow, that sounds pretty interesting, i'd love to see some of those.

i bought this lot from 1850s - 1950s, almost wishing i had not.

i was also learning lastb week that, for instance, during african campaigns (during WW2). camps/stations would be set up and then broken down, new ones et up and so on. each time this was done, postmark system was restablished each time!!!

i have changed my "icon" for the 3rd time, saw a brit flag, though i dont like the bucking bronco thing. how do i post my own image?

thanks
    wayne