Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about a St. Gaudens $20 pattern

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was reading a book last night (Taxay's US Mint History) and it made a brief reference to a St. Gaudens "pattern" that was struck sometime between 1907 and 1908. Supposedly the coin was a lot thicker than normal, and the piece was smaller than normal. It stated that about 8 were struck, and two went into the mint cabinet, and the others were melted, except for one piece that somehow ended up with a New York dealer. Does anyone know anything about this coin? I don't have the book in front of me so I can't give more details, but that is what I remember about it. Thanks.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    It was a Saint pattern that was struck on an Eagle sized planchet only about 40% thicker to make up for the weight. It could never have been minted, because of a law that prohibited two coins of the same size and different denominations being made. It can be seen in the book "100 Rarest Coins" or whatever it's called...image
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>It was a Saint pattern that was struck on an Eagle sized planchet only about 40% thicker to make up for the weight. It could never have been minted, because of a law that prohibited two coins of the same size and different denominations being made. It can be seen in the book "100 Rarest Coins" or whatever it's called...image >>

Almost qualifies as a piedfort if it had been the same denomination as an eagle.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is essentially a "mini ultra High Relief" and they are something to behold. My second favorite gold pattern behind the unique Indian double eagle also by St Gaudens.
  • Options
    Thank you, "Mr. BigShot I've Seen Them All Because I'm a Smithsonian Nerd"!!image
  • Options
    Oh...and that would be the Jud 1776 pattern...that you referred to,...
  • Options
    Jay- Actually it is the J1905 in the new Judd book.image
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    If you do locate that third "piedfort" (or is it "piefort"?) St. Gaudens mini $20.00, please let me know. I am saving my allowance.
    Ed
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will forever be J-1776 in my mind!
  • Options
    Bruce- prefer the old Judd number as well.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I know where that awesome beauty is. And, if someone will pay me enough......

I still wont be able to get it for you.image

Edited to add: I was speaking of J-1776
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it's J-1917. The J-1905 (formerly J-1776) has an Indian Head and is of normal diameter and thickness for a $20.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    My second favorite gold pattern behind the unique Indian double eagle also by St Gaudens.

Stop trying to confuse us, Andy! We's talking about the big one. image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you, "Mr. BigShot I've Seen Them All Because I'm a Smithsonian Nerd"!!image >>

I held it, too image

It's a fantastic little piece... when you pick it up, it's a LOT heavier than you'd expect. Plus, it's high/ultra high relief, and just looks incredible.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop trying to confuse us, Andy! We's talking about the big one.

TDN - So I shouldn't offer you the reduced diameter Indian head $20 piefort? image

(You have seen it, haven't you? I still can't believe Laura let me buy that beauty out from under her!)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Agree, the big one will always be Judd-1776
    In my opinion the most valuable US coin bar none...many times when I think I know something or am advising someone regarding a coin I remember a few decades ago when passed on this coin for slightly over 200k. image
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey Mark. I know where the J-1776 (the BIG one) is too! And a lot of other magnificent gold coins too!!image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all should be ashamed of yourselves. You all talk the talk but how many of you have walked the walk============= to visit Saint Gaudens National Historic site in New Hampshire?

I finally better get there this summer. No more excuses!!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Judd-1917 (double thickness) is listed and plated in the 1914 catalog of the US mint collection. According to this source there were only two of them, both in the mint collection.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    They're both in the SI Numismatic Collection.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Longacre,
    The answer to your question begins on page 200 of RAC 1905-1908.

Have fun!
  • Options

<< <i>They're both in the SI Numismatic Collection. >>

I thought the ANS has one???
  • Options
    Only the two pieces in the Philadelphia Mint Collection, transferred to the Smithsonian in 1923, survived. All others were systematically located and melted on orders of Mint Director Leach. The last to be destroyed was one held by mint engraver Charles Barber (who owned 8 !!! of the EHR $20s).
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861

Smithsonian has both. One is pictured on the left.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    J-1917

All pix courtesy of Smithsonian Institution, National Numismatic Collection
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Longacre,
    The answer to your question begins on page 200 of RAC 1905-1908.

Have fun! >>

image I'm gettin' there!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Note: On the photo above showing three MCMVII $20, the coins on the left and right are from the extremely high relief models delivered in December 1906. These are experimental (or pattern) pieces struck in February 1907. The coin in the center is a high relief circulation strike and not a pattern or experimental piece.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I love this medal that Keith posted. It undoubtedly depicts Saint-Gaudens after an encounter with C. Barber.

<< <i>image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file