Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

MERC GUYS GET TOGETHER IN REDONDO BEACH !

Mercurydimeguy (mike) was in Los Angeles yesterday,and I could not resist us getting together .We talked and looked at over 400 Mercs for about 4 hours.
We slammed down a few diet cokes and had a good time.
It is always a pleasure to meet board members who have similar interests.
Mike is a really nice guy,and loves his dimes.
Maybe he will tell you guys about his visit image
Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
POB 854
Temecula CA 92593
310-541-7222 office
310-710-2869 cell
www.LSRarecoins.com
Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
Baltimore July 14-17
Chicago August 11-15

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    where are the pictures????????????????????????
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So were any substantial conclusions made about our Little Lady and how they are graded by the grading services ? If so maybe some suggestion can be passed along to the TPG's.

Hey, that would have been fun to BS and look at Mercs for four hours. No Diet Pop though. Give me the high powered straight Coke Cola. No Pepsi please.

I am waiting patiently to see the 19D Mike is sending me. If it is what I think it is a comment will be forth coming about TPG grading of the 19D Merc.

BTW, just for information I received another AT Merc in a NGC slab yesterday. It was plain as day and confirmed with a quick dip that made the Tone go "Poof" in about 2 seconds. This time it was a old slab instead of a newer slab. Man they are killing me...image

Ken
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'll post a bit later today, but having looked at about 400 of Larry's dimes was quite a treat!! Some are simply spectacular and some we talked about/discussed how the coin "got lucky" image

Interesting enough...one unrelated afterthought Ken -- I looked at a 19-D in a 64FB recently, and Ken the 19-D you're getting has much better bands yet it didn't get an FB designation and is in a 63 holder. Can't draw a conclusion but either the 64FB got lucky, or they used to grade on technicals (not as subjective) and now they're grading much more subjectively, or that PCGS simply has a business strategy to flush out the marginal coins out of PCGS holders and only have CREAM OF THE CROP.

• dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Hey Larry, I know you sold your personal peace $ collection but please don't ignore your peace $ on your web site.

Nothing has been added to it in quite some time.image
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Peace dollars...
    They are very tough to find nice ones.
    It took years to complete my set image

I look in every case at shows,and in every auction among other places.
    If you have a want list,I will search the earth to find them image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Larry do you mean using a metal detector. No thanksimage

They have gotten extremely hard to find in the last 6 months and I'm not talking about the keys but pieces with pops of 2-300 in pcgs 64 or 65 that are exceptional for the grade no matter what the cost.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Larry and I looked at a zillion dimes, kicked around a bunch of thoughts about coin grading/buying/selling and basically came to the same conclusion about TPG's (but PCGS, specifically) -- some coins are great and make the grade, some coins are tweeners and could go either way and some coins are way outside any kind of realistic parameters...meaning they are either severely under-graded or severely over-graded. Ironically, in this regard, NGC is typically more consistent as they consistently are less critical of the bands and consistently grade 1 point in your favor. Not better --just more consistent image

We conducted some business and it wasn't all play. Larry sold me a very nice for the grade 42/1-D 62FB for my set image

I also shared with Larry a startup business, which I and a close friend of mine (who is also a 2-time business colleague) have been working on...under the radar. I'm now coming up from under the radar and will look to try to get the business funded. I have many "scars." This will be my 2nd technology startup and 4th altogether. If I am successful in getting it funded, the business will shift a paradigm in how collectibles (obviously including coins) are bought and sold.

So since the above is such a blatant plug, here's another one image

4 hours flew by pretty quickly...by the time we looked down at our watches it was nearly midnight.

Larry, thanks so much for having me over -- it was really neat to put together a face with a voice/name.

Regards,

Mike.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this the next yahoo or google here we see ehhh? image

Marc
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the 19D from Mike. The coin looks just like I thought it would. A very nice almost complete strike and totally original. When it comes right down to the brass tacks it seems like PCGS does not take into account how some of the early dates are struck when a grade is applied. Another factor that is somewhat disturbing is the way originality is handled. In my opinion if this coin would have had a quick bath it would have went a point higher and possibly 2 points higher.

Be truthful. Does the first coin look MS63 when the second coin was a MS64 ? Which would you want to own ? Its a tough date but Geez a little consistancy would be appreciated by all Merc Collectors I believe.

Here is another picture of the 19D from Mike. It shows some of the missing definition in the first picture.

Ken
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    When is the next meeting.....image