Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you do with your cards valued under $1?

Cards like a 1990 Upper Deck Cal Ripken, an 89/90 Fleer Patrick Ewing. Not commons, but not really PSA worthy (unless you've got a great eye for 10's).

Do you trade, sell, group together in lots on Ebay, or just store them away?

I've been thinking that some of mine might get better use as bonus cards thrown in for free on Ebay. I've always appreciated the free cards sent in my orders over the years.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Look for a neighborhood auction in your area that isn't known for having cards all that often. That used to be what I did when I would stockpile modern commons/stars/semis, and other crap that was cluttering my living space. Even a box full of total crap with a few big names will bring decent money for what it is. Personally, I would throw a couple good cards in each lot just so I wouldn't feel bad if it sold for too much. Or you could donate them to a charity and get full book value as a write-off.

Lee
  • Options
    I guess anything is better than throwing them away. Giving them to a local pediatric ward at a hospital seems like the coolest thing to do to me.

GG
  • Options
    About three years ago, I was in the process of moving and I had about 50 800 count boxes of commons I didn't want to shlep to my new place. I found out that my sons teacher liked to give the kids cards as a reward. So I gave them all to the school. She probably still has some.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    Try selling them at a yard sale and market them well. Mothers may often pay a decent price for cards of known players for their kids. Just a thought...
  • Options
    We have a local cable TV auction, many I will group together lots totaling about 10.00 and place them on there. Many times they get full book value.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Several years ago I donated about 100,000 cards (mostly commons but tons of star cards too) to a children's home. Got the big write-off. I believe you can write off up to $5,000 without needing to get the cards appraised. So, can just do full price guide value which adds up quick. Assuming you itemize your tax return that will give better value (and is much easier) than selling them.
  • Options
    As a self-proclaimed packrat, I can't throw or give away any. If I can't sell them, then I'll die with them and let the next person decide. Right now, I have about 5 stacks of 5000ct boxes, each 4 ft high, plus about 100, 800ct boxes full, and I stopped buying new stuff about 8 years ago.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i eat them
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy at the Tristar in Houston told me his son ran a grab bag on ebay for a buck a shot - promised a minimum value - can't remember - AND seeded so many good cards including low value PSA cards randomly placed. Of course a fair fee for ship/insur/handling. In a 10 day period, he did 1700 lots!

He gave me the kids ebay name and everything. He thinks it's a great way to 'dump' all your crap.

I don't have the patience for all that, but my son should! I'm not a lover of dutch auctions but if done honestly, nobody should get hurt.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I just put them in lot on Ebay with other commons and forget it. People will sometimes buy the commons and stars to complete their sets.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Donate