Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey...my pictures are getting better.....this is a lot of work!!!

As some of you may know...I got a new Nikon coolpixs 5400...less than a week ago................it has been a real struggle to get images that capture color on toners...... so for several nights I have experimented with lighting and just about everything else I could think of to try to accurately capture the true color on the coins..............a had a bit of a break through tonight and some of the pictures actually look presentable....not professional....but you can see the dog gone colors and the coins don't look like a light bulb is setting on top of them image They are all at angles as you can see...but...it's a start image

So feel free to browse the images and give me pointers or just sit back and enjoy some of the colors being presented image

Comments

• Options

Get a reflector, some high powered lamps, and point the lamps at the reflector. Use this as your light source. Then place the coin underneath the camera, (which should be mounted on a copystand of some sort), and tilt the coin to where it is reflecting not only the color of the coin but the diffusion reflector as well. Then adjust the contrast to "remove" the reflector reflection from the image. It works!

I've recently found a way around this but that's my secret. image

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics, although I do have a few suggestions. If you can, try cropping your images in a circle (so you only see the coin) and then resizing and stretching the image to make it a bit rounder. You might also want to play with the levels in your photo editer to make the haze/reflection of the slab a little less obvious. Otherwise, the images look great! image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    stunning pic poorguy.

is your camera an srl?

best coin pic of the year.
  • Options
    Great image!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pics, although I do have a few suggestions. If you can, try cropping your images in a circle (so you only see the coin) and then resizing and stretching the image to make it a bit rounder. You might also want to play with the levels in your photo editer to make the haze/reflection of the slab a little less obvious. Otherwise, the images look great! image >>

I don't know how to do any of what you suggest and don't have any photo imaging software...but it sounds great so I need to work towards figuring some of that out image

Brandon....thanks for the tips...where do I pick up that screen thingy???

I keep heraing about adjusting the contrast...do I do that on the camera or should I be able to do that with the imaging software???
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Nice franklin! Even slightly better color than mine! image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    If you "Right Click" on the photo a box pops up. You should see "Open With", click on that. If you use windows you should see "Picture It", click on that. You'll be able to crop, adjust contrast, etc., then. Let me know if this works or PM me with questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file