Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need HELP with Three Morgan Dollar Varieties - 1882-P, 1896-P, 1897-P (MPD, dbl, gouge)

Picked up three Morgans today. As usual, I have questions about them. There are several pictures, so I posted most of them as links.

The first is a circulated 1897-P. I only bought it because it was cheap. When I checked it out at home, I noticed parts of the right wreath were doubled. I know I saw this listed in the VAM book or updates. Will check it out later. What I liked more was the S in TRUST. I think the bottom part had a partially filled die. It's only about a quarter the height of the top part. Rest of IN GOD WE TRUST looks normal. The 7 may be doubled as well.
1897P_pic2
1897P_pic3

Second coin is a mint state 1896-P. With the naked eye, I thought it was the Top 100 with the 8 in the denticles. Under magnification, I have some doubts. There is a raised curved section in the denticles under the 8. The Top 100 book shows the curved area on both sides of the denticle. I only see the left side and it's not drastic. Any ideas?
1896P_pic1
1896P_pic2

Last is 1882-P in an ANACS slabbed marked MS62. I don't usually buy slabbed coins (this is probably my second). I didn't need a loupe to see a gouge between the eagle's left wing and neck. It's easier to see in hand than it is to photograph. Looks like a chip on the neck above the gouge too. Couldn't find any mention of this in the VAM listings.
1882P_pic1
1882P_pic1

Thanks as always.

Comments

• Options
    I had no luck with any of these.
    Not a lot of VAMs for 1897-P. Could not find any mention of leaf doubling.
    The curved area in the denticles on the 1896-P looks like part of the 8, but it's only on the left. If it's not a misplaced date, what is it? Any MPD experts?
    Looked at all of the updates for the 1882-P. No listing for gouge in that area.

Any ideas?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file