Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why buy rolls from the mint?

Why spend $8.95 plus shipping for 2 rolls of nickels you can get from the bank for $4? image
jdp

Comments

• Options
    Simply profit.....when these sets sell out from the mint, which they will, their value will increase quicker than bank rolls will. Of course I know that the rols from the bank are cheaper and better for a collector. I didnt buy them in hopes of finding the best nickels. i simply am hoping for a short term profit and hope to keep a few sets for myself for free. i feel confident I won't lose on these.
    i think most people who will be looking for these on Ebay in a few months are not the types who would feel confident buying bank rolls. I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Exactly what terrapin Will said
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    My two cents...

Yes, you can get the rolls from the bank for $4, but the possibility exists that a coin directly from the mint might have fewer dings, dents, etc than I know the ones coming from the bank will have. I'm looking for the possible registry coin, not one to put in a Whitman.

I say it this way... I'm playing the lottery... I may end up loosing some cash (probably not) or I might hit paydirt. for $4.95, I'm playing the lottery at least 40 - 100 times.

Secondly, one of the best things about these rolls is... the buyer 10 years from now, when I start selling some of these, will know they are definitely original and not picked through. The buyer of your bank roll wont be able to say the same thing, even though many sellers try.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    People like mint wrapped rolls too.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why spend $8.95 plus shipping for 2 rolls of nickels you can get from the bank for $4? image >>

Well for onesies, I don't think it is currently possible either now or a year from now to just go into a bank and get a "roll" of D mints and a "roll" of P mints.
    For twosies (sp?) some people are oblivious to the fact that you can order these from the mint and will pay the extra bucks for official "Mint" wrapped rolls. The Ebayers know this and always, always promote these new products from the mint.

Personally, I got some very bad coins when I ordered the Peace Medal nickels and will not do that again. To me, its not worth $4.95 for a couple of mint papers! I think the better coins will only be available in later "bank" wrapped rolls. I could be wrong, but I rather wait!

Now if your talkin bags, I will get those as you have a much better chance of obtaining some type of error coin in the bags! But then, each to his own! image

Now, what the heck am I gonna do with all those nickels?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Why spend $8.95 plus shipping for 2 rolls of nickels you can get from the bank for $4?

Two answers. First, I'll cut to the chase -- check out the prices of 2003 original Mint-wrapped Jeffersons.

Second, why Mint-wrapped? Because it's direct from the Mint and an original, unmolested Mint wrapper means the roll is intact, hasn't been picked over, and doesn't contain junk circulated coinage (like most bank-wrapped rolls). And these rolls simply do not survive time like other coinage; search these forums and you'll see how certain original rolls are very highly sought after and crazy premiums are paid for such pieces of history. It will be the same for today's Mint-wrapped coinage.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    Although the rolls are spending on a per coin basis they are much better than bags for finding GEMS. To me they are worth the premium, plus people like the mint wrappers. Coins from bank rolls are not as nice, I do both routes and rarely find for coins you can get in mint rolls as good as the mint rolls.
  • Options
    Wow, what Sequitur said! I did a quick search and there's a 2003 mint wrapped P and D set of Jeffs that's selling for $29.01 as I write........... Wow!

Pete
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the 2003 is the last year of that design. Even when they go back to Monticello, the design will be different. That's why there is a premium on 2003.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    So you can turn them for a profit on Ebay while they're still hot.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Oops, read below. My Bad. Sry.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget the 2003 is the last year of that design. Even when they go back to Monticello, the design will be different. That's why there is a premium on 2003. >>

Wrong. I've read this so many times on forums and eBay, and I think that is part of the reason the 2003's are selling so high. I'm searching for the quote now on the U.S. Mint web site, and damn it, I can't find it now. I understand you can't believe everything you hear from the Mint, but understand this, the obverse of the 2006 nickel will be the same as it was in 2003. Word. Quit perpetuating this myth.
  • Options
    How often has the Mint changed the obverse of a circulating coin, only to go back to it's original design a year later. I'm no expert, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. If anything that would make these Mint Rolls sets even a better purchase, if they are only making them for a year.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Wrong. I've read this so many times on forums and eBay, and I think that is part of the reason the 2003's are selling so high. I'm searching for the quote now on the U.S. Mint web site, and damn it, I can't find it now. I understand you can't believe everything you hear from the Mint, but understand this, the obverse of the 2006 nickel will be the same as it was in 2003. Word. Quit perpetuating this myth. >>

Nothing has been finalized about the 2006 design. So anything is possible, though the majority opinion is that some version of Monticello will return to the reverse, with possibly the obverse of the Buffalo nickel being on the obverse - we'll just have to see what the mint deems most profitable.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I buy my rolls from the bakery...???
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Way to go St.Googy - now get back to the open forum where you belong!!! image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I can create a ruckus here and not have to use dirty words....image
  • Options
    ....and as far as answering the original question: I think for a lot of people it comes down to simply liking the Mint wrapped ones better. The price is still fairly reasonable for the Mint wrapped nickels, and they do generally resell at higher margians than the bank wrapped nickels, so to a lot of the public the Mint wrapped nickels are more desireable. They seem more collectable, perhaps. The wrappers sure are more purty.

That said, I've bought most of wrapped nickel rolls from my local bank just to rat hole them for several years, and only a couple rolls from the Mint itself. To this day, I can still go down to my local bank and buy both the Keelboat design and the Peace Medal design, and they appear to be in uncirculated condition.

We'll see what happens in 2006. I still feel it will be the same ol' nickel. I hope so because that would make the designs for 2004 and 2005 that much more original.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    From MSN for all those rumor mongers

A coin-design renaissance
    While the Lewis and Clark nickels are just one-time issues, a permanent redesign for the nickel is planned in 2006. (Jefferson and Monticello will remain the subjects, but the images are likely to change).

Also due: a revamp of the Lincoln penny in 2009 marking the coin's 100th birthday and Abe's 200th. And legislation now in Congress would mandate an ambitious series of new dollar coins that will eventually feature every U.S. president -- from the great to the obscure to the infamous.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't forget the 2003 is the last year of that design. Even when they go back to Monticello, the design will be different. That's why there is a premium on 2003. >>

Wrong. I've read this so many times on forums and eBay, and I think that is part of the reason the 2003's are selling so high. I'm searching for the quote now on the U.S. Mint web site, and damn it, I can't find it now. I understand you can't believe everything you hear from the Mint, but understand this, the obverse of the 2006 nickel will be the same as it was in 2003. Word. Quit perpetuating this myth. >>

But the reverse will be different so how was he wrong? "last year of that design" the design that has remained mostly intact since 1938.
  • Options
    I enterprited "even when they go back to Monticello (in 2006)" meaning the reverse, "the design will be different" figuring he was referring to the obverse being different in 2006 by what he said "even when they go back to Monticello". I guess we'd need him to clarify exactly what he meant by "the design will be different." Is he meaning the "old" desing will be different in 2006? Different than what, than 2004 and 2005? Yeaaaah. I guess you can call that different, even though it's been the same since 1938, which I don't consider different.

Either way, I felt it was a good place to post that I've read a lot that the 2006 nickel's obverse will stay the same as it is in 2005.

From what I read on the U.S. Mint web site, in 2006 the nickel's design goes back to how it's been since 1938, which in my opinion, is far from different. That's all.

As someone else stated, we'll see. I say the 2005 obverse will be exclusive to 2005. We will see.
  • Options
    There is a small advantage to buying direct from the mint. The mint distributes coins and currency through the Federal Reserve Banks. From a recent tour of the Federal Reseve Bank I learned that neither the Mint nor the Fed are in the business of wrapping coinage (mint rolls are a fairly recent phenomenon), new coins are always distributed in bags. So by the time your coin has arrived at the bank and properly wrapped it has endured the minting process, been carried, dropped, kicked, and rattled around inside an armored truck, etc. You may have a slight edge on finding a good coin when buying directly from the mint. But also realize that most of the damage to an uncircualted coin occurs before it ever leaves the mint.
    Frank

E PLVRIBVS VNVM
  • Options
    Hmmm - A coin-design renaissance - While the Lewis and Clark nickels are just one-time issues, a permanent redesign for the nickel is planned in 2006. (Jefferson and Monticello will remain the subjects, but the images are likely to change).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file