Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions Please - Toned Bust Half

If you have a moment, and would like to see a nice looking bust half, please open up the attached pics and take a look. Also, if you are in the mood to do so, let me know what you think of the toning and what you would grade such a coin. The pics aren't perfect, but they have pretty accurately captured the color of the coin. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Nice!

imageimage
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I think she is wonderful!!image
    Becky
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    It's a pretty coin. Based on your pictures, I would very much doubt that such toning is original. It has that baked sort of look. Maybe it's the pictures, but it doesn't look like natural album tone to me. I'd say it's in the AU range.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would very much doubt that such toning is original. It has that baked sort of look. >>

AGREED!!!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Sweet coin, but the way the colors sperate on the obverse and the pattern existing on both sides pushes me towards AT.

jim
  • I'll admit I'm far from an expert, but I've looked at a lot of toned coins and something just doesn't seem exactly right about this one. I hope I'm wrong.image
    JRH
  • It looks AT - sorry.
  • One thing that looks funny is that the color does not go all the way to the rim on either side. Maybe this doesn't mean anything, but it seems unusual.image
    JRH
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    AT, but pretty.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no question in my mind that this coin is AT, based upon the images provided, and that it was cleaned fairly aggressively before the toning job.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• I agree with Tom - cleaned and retoned - it's still a reeded edge 36 - a very good date
  • AT - Colors have too distinct of a transition into the next hue.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • I agree with Tom - cleaned and retoned - it's still a reeded edge 36 - a very good date

A point that rings loudly in my ears. Such a nice coin ruined for the almighty dollar.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. Looks very unnatural, cleaned, and retoned in an unnatural way.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think folks should look at this coin twice if they believe it's the reeded edge variety because it's not. This is the much more common, and much less expensive, lettered edge coin. Attached is an image of my reeded edge half so that you can see the differences on the obverse and the extreme differences on the reverse.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Nice Coin there TomB! Lee
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    The coin belongs to a friend of mine, he lent it for me to look at and he gave me permission to post a pic here to get all of your opinions. The coin is the lettered edge variety. Thanks for all of the responses.
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    AT job to me.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file