Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Making or Buying - Where's the Balance?

A lot of my proof collection was purchased from dealers, collectors, or auction houses. I made a few of the coins. I have been trying to make some FS Jeffs, FB Roosies, and DCam Proofs. Making these coins is not easy.

The search takes a lot of time. I'm still trying to get better at pre-grading before sending to PCGS. I bought three Jeff collections and have gotten about three FS coins. I searched for hours to get two FB Roosies (nice toing on each). These are going on sale at Heritage.

I need to do the math but FS, FB and DCAM coins seem cheap compared to the effort required to find them and get them slabbed.
Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

Comments

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Trying to make a specific coin is very difficult, but keeping your eye open and buying anything that's PQ at raw coin prices is rewarding and enables you to buy holders. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    As I have stated before, to me, it is about the fun of the hunt. Collect coins and search for these particulars because you enjoy it. Don't do it for the money. If you happen to make money at it, then great.

For me, personally, I love the joy of finding neat VAM varieties, such as the 1Bx series of the 1921-S Morgans. For the two I have, I spent $10.00 each on. If I sold them, I would make many times over that, but I did not do it for the money. I did it for the challenge and the thrill of finding something neat.

Just my humble opinion.

Richard.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Rampage... the fun in in the hunt. The hobby is an ongoing treasure hunt and if you have a good eye you can find some real treats. Making a MS 67 quarter, FS jeff or DCAM half from a raw coin is the best. Upgrades are nice but nothing like making your own. Have fun with the hunt!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Rampage... the fun in in the hunt. The hobby is an ongoing treasure hunt and if you have a good eye you can find some real treats. Making a MS 67 quarter, FS jeff or DCAM half from a raw coin is the best. Upgrades are nice but nothing like making your own. Have fun with the hunt! >>

I remember when I made two MS66 Clad IKEs on the same submission last year. I was bummed out on the submission because I made an MS63, but when it clicked that I made two 66s, I was like--WOW!! Those were the 1972D and 1974D IKEs. I was happy.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the hunt for the coin is fun. I just think that prices are low compared to the effort required to make a coin. I can't imagine the effort required to make a complete series in FS or FB.

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Agreed ... there is a real thrill of the hunt in finding a raw coin, particularly for a few bucks, that scores big. There's something about making your own that does not come from buying pre-slabbed -- not to fault anyone who secures the finest examples already slabbed ... it rocks, in my case, to make a 1957 PR-67 CAM Jeff or a 1967 SMS MS-66 DCAM Jeff ... those are hard to come by! And, it's sure easier on my wallet! And, even it you don't knock it out of the park, it is even nice to make a tougher coin such as a 1950 PR-65 CAM Jeff (it's a 66, of course) image
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I guess a mix of making and buying makes sense, if you want to complete a set in a reasonable amount of time. I need to improve on my submissions. I still have way too many duds in with the gems. That's not PCGS's fault. I need to have a better eye.

I am waiting on a 1962 Franklin Proof result. If that DCams in high grade, I am hooked on making the coins.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I love the hunt and the thrill of the make. But even if I didn't, I couldn't possibly afford to buy the coins I need for upgrades if they were already slabbed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Trying to make a specific coin is very difficult, but keeping your eye open and buying anything that's PQ at raw coin prices is rewarding and enables you to buy holders. image >>

Exactly.

Throw in being able to spot the PQ coins and some of the varieties and the profit from the sale
    of the ones you find can pay for the coins you can't find or it can pay to continue the search.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file