Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you ever happy to be outbid?

I placed a bid a few days ago on an auction in the Heritage Bullet Sale, and soon afterwards started to get "buyers remorse." I decided that I didn't really want that coin after all. It looked like I was going to be the winner, but with just minutes to go, I was outbid. Whew! Anyone else ever happy to be outbid at auction?

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Sure. I think it happened to a lot of us.
  • Options
    Absolutly. Especially when you see the same exact coin pop up on another auction site for a lot less.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY!!

When I first started I bd on a coin without anyone looking at it for me...I found out the day of the auction that it was a POS!!! Man, same relief!!
  • Options
    Constantly
    jdp
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    It has happened more than once.

As long as I bid on coins I am sure that it will happen again.

There have been times when I worried more about the ones that I got and not the ones that got away.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    I placed a bid on a Heritage auction that ends tonight that wouldn't bother me if I lost. I'd like to have the gold coin and my *winning* bid is low compared to other prices right now, but I'm kind of over what I wanted to spend lately. Maybe some snipers are in the bushes. image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    It happens all the time. You bid on something and then find something you like alot better.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure -- for all the reasons above, plus if I never got outbid I'd take that as another way of the world saying I'm paying too much for what I'm buying.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Most definitely.
  • Options
    I was just outbid with 35 seconds left on the auction below. Tisk! image

1929 Indian $2 1/2 NGC MS61

I just recieved my first gold coin(1926 $2 1/2 Indian NGC MS61) and have to admit gold is cool. Little coins, but cool. I figure MS61 is a grade I can afford, but I'm not wanting to pay $275-$300 each for them(except the 1911D which will be expensive). The buyer can gladly have the one I just lost.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoetimes yes.
  • Options
    Once in a while, especially when I suffer from numismatic zeal on a particular day.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    It's happened to me several times. The last couple were difficult, though, as I really wanted them. But there's always tomorrow and another one that might not get away... image
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Yes, about 30 min ago when I thought I miscalculated the value of marty's $65 Face 90% ag @ melt value auction.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I've had many occasions where I placed a bid and then changed my mind later. In most cases I was out bid and breathed a sigh of relief. On some though, I do a Homer Simpson, Doh!
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Heck yes, it's happened to me and I was relieved when it did!
    Blue skies!
    david
    Modern bashing is sooooooo old.
    -Bochiman

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    -unknown
  • Options
    The only other coin I was bidding on in the Bullet sale is one that I really did want. It just ended ... and I won! Fair price too (at least, it seems reasonable to me).
  • Options
    DEFINITELY!!

Especially when my wife has already put the keebosh on me for spending too much on Visa/Paypal already!! image

She threatens there won't be any divorce...she'll just be a widow!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes if someone wants it more good for them they offer more and get it and save me from myself

around the corner is always something better and less expensive
  • Options
    yes - when I get on a roll and bid on too many things.
  • Options
    Yes, and sometimes it's a relief. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file