Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: K-605 Bombs on the Cathedral of Cologne

K-605 BOMBS ON THE CATHEDRAL OF COLOGNE, 1943, Cast AE, 101.8mm, Wt. 240g., Incuse Edge punch, UNC. R.

On the occasion of the beginning of the ‘round-the-clock” bombing throughout Germany by ‘Anglo-American’ airforce units in March 1942. During this, and all other area bombing raids of the war, the cathedral escaped major damage. In May 1942 the R.A.F. bombed Cologne with 1000 bombers during Operation Millenium. The Thousand Bomber Raid

Obverse: Bomber dropping bombs near the cathedral and inscription along rim ‘British and American bombers.’

Reverse: A family flees the bombing.

Comments

• Options
    Wow...that medal sure makes a powerful statement (no pun intended)...beautiful!!!!!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Is the family on the reverse the Goetz family? I noticed the "K G" on the suitcase.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!!! You posted another "bombing" medal a while back
    that Goetz did, too. Was there a series of these?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Not the Goetz family, they were living in Munich at the time. The suitcase appears to have been a convenient place to sign the piece.

Yes, Goetz did a series of six bombing medals of different cities. I currently have three of them.
  • Options
    All of them are pretty rare, too. Is this a new example or a reimage?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Everything I've been showing this past week is new to my collection. I still have about fifteen more to image...
  • Options

<< <i>Everything I've been showing this past week is new to my collection. I still have about fifteen more to image... >>

Get busy!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BTW - Why did you remove the link to your website?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I had some a-hole from the OF digging through my image server which indicated to me that he was doing more than just prying there and elsewhere...

You can go to www.KarlGoetz.com to see the collection minus patterns.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cacheman, sorry to hear about the OF hacker!!

I believe the Allies made a concerted effort to spare such architectural monuments as the Cologne cathedral.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Actually I'm surprised he was allowed to make them as they would not have been "PC" while Hitler was declaring the allies air campaign would be crushed. One of my uncles (now deceased) flew B17 daylight bombing missions with the Eigth out of England. When you got a few drinks into him he would try to describe what it was like if you pressed him hard enough. He flew something like forty plus missions into Europe, he survived the 25 mission "get to go home" marker but went back after his war bond tour in the US and when the war ended was close to his second "furlough".
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    While there was a policy to avoid destroying significant cultural artifacts, it was hard to put into practice, especially from the air. For one thing, bombing accuracy from high-altitude bombers was atrocious in those days, even with Norden bomb sights and such. Often a quarter of the bombs dropped missed the city the key targets were located in.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image