Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Buffalo Nickels

I have been reading the new buff posts and the more I sit here the angrier I get...and it's not at the mint.

I ordered at noon, and went through the same bulls--t that everyone else went through, but I got my rolls. I ordered 5 for the record. I am going to put them away and just leave them. My kids will get one set each and my dad will get one as well.

What gets me angry are the pigs that order massive amounts. Pigs at the trough. They are going to shut out the guy who just wants a set to give to a kid, or to keep because they're nice to have. What is someone going to honestly do with 30, 40, 50, even 100 rolls of the Buffs? These aren't the exilir of life and they're not going to be serious investment pieces.

These people are going to open them and look for rarities (thereby destroying the rolls and the novelty of the product), or they're going to put them on ebay. Eitherway these sets will be denied to the guys and gals who don't want to order ridiculous quantities. We've lost our way...it seems that some have forgotten the joy of finding that new or awesome coin in the change from the QuickCheck, A&P or Winn-Dixie (for our friends from the South).

And when they arrive at banks these same people are going to get as many rolls from the tellers as they possibly can...and then they won't end up in circulation in the quantities that would make it easy for people to find them in their change. People who really want them will have to go to a coin shop or coin show to buy their 2005 nickels at a ridiculous mark up.

So, step back from this situation and ask yourself how much do you really need those 100 rolls of Buffs? Unless you're like the Saudi royal family and have many many children to give them to, you should not have purchased that many rolls.

That's my 5 cents on the whole matter. Now I am sure that the verbal beatings will begin. But before your crucify me, remember that I have the right to my opinion, so don't tell me to shut up.

Comments

• I'm sure those who want them, will be able to get them at cost.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware that there was a limited mintage of these. Is this the case?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • KdennisonKdennison Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how many rolls the mint will offer, but I don't see where it says that all orders will be fulfilled or that they'll make as many rolls are demanded.

The point is not to get people angry, it's more about being considerate. I should have put that in the original message, but that's all I am trying to say.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Some trees are taller than others. They should all be cut to equal lengths.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kdennison, the mint has made about a billion nickels (yes, a billion, with a "B") every year since about 1970. In 2000, they made almost 2.5 billion.

If anything, they're going to make more of these.

So just chill.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered five sets. There are (and will be) more than enough to go around.
  • 97 Million Buffalo nickels shipped from the Mint today to the regional banks. That's a lot of nickels. I find the first two issues of nickels in circulation fairly frequently. Now, true, the U.S. Mint wrapped ones will probably sell out rather quickly, but I think the vast majority will be happy with the ones they will get from the Winn-Dixie, or what ever. Those that want the Mint wrapped ones, I imagine are on it - much like the peeps here buying pounds of 'em. You got your 5, I got my 10, it's all good. Peace out...
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Hi Kieth,
    Here is a link to the US mint production figures.

US mint

Over 700,000 of the nickels (each) last year.

Amazing the amount produced. I see very few here in MA. I might see about 15 per week and I work as a cashier 20 hours.

Rookie Joe
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What gets me angry are the pigs that order massive amounts. Pigs at the trough. They are going to shut out the guy who just wants a set to give to a kid, or to keep because they're nice to have. What is someone going to honestly do with 30, 40, 50, even 100 rolls of the Buffs? These aren't the exilir of life and they're not going to be serious investment pieces. >>

Dealer's order in mass numbers all of the time and usually sell for the most rediculus mark-ups. I am not a dealer but I can tell you why I ordered so many. In all honesty I want it for the profit. It's not because I am greedy. I simply need to do everything in my power to pay for college. It isn't cheap you know. Loans are not a great way to start off in life. If I can do anything to turn a small profit (with the exception of bad things like drugs or scams) I will give it a shot.

I admit it is nice for kids to find new nickels and it is beneficial to the hobby. I hope many do find their way into the hands of kids.

Even with extreme mass hording we collectors can only manage at most about 10% of the amount of minted nickels. Out of about 700 million thats 70 million which is a hell of a lot to manage. There aren't that many of us and not everyone likes nickels. That still leaves 90%. 90% is quite a lot. I feel that it was quite harsh to call people pigs without knowing their intentions.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
    Well they say that you should wait for the anger to die down before you speak. So I agree with F117ASR that pigs is too harsh. I take that back, but I still stand behind the consideration principle. Next time I'll simmer down before I committ myself to writing.

And I do know how much college does cost...I've got loans until 2014, so I feel your pain.

Take care,
    Keith
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Well they say that you should wait for the anger to die down before you speak. So I agree with F117ASR that pigs is too harsh. I take that back, but I still stand behind the consideration principle. Next time I'll simmer down before I committ myself to writing. >>

I understand. No problem
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the U.S. Mint will limit the number you can order, other times it does not. I know there are some dealers who have ordered 10,000 proof sets on one order in the past. It is all supply, demand and production related as to when the order amounts are limited.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file