Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1973 Topps Comic

Has anyone seen any lately? What are the commons going for-How about the stars ? What is a fair price? Thanks Scott
quitcrab@optonline.net

Comments

• Options
    Just sold mine. Since they're quite scarce, prices will be all over the place. Mastro offered a complete set about four months ago.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just sold mine. Since they're quite scarce, prices will be all over the place. Mastro offered a complete set about four months ago.

image >>

The set on Mastronet went for about $20,000 including the 15% buyers fee. I would pay between $2,500-$4,000 for a Nolan Ryan depending on condition.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    67STANDUP-What did you end up getting for the Yaz comic-you had that up on ebay along with the topps discs in mid January right? Thanks Scott
  • Options
    The '73 Comic was never listed for sale on Ebay, the photo was only used for reference.

The '67 SGC 70 disc sold on Ebay for $1260, the '68 SGC 60 for $900.

I purchased many Yaz Topps test items from last August's Heritage auction. A collector who wrote the Yaz memorabilia book "Yaz II" decided to liquidate everything. Many of the items I've only seen offered once or have never seen at all. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased more items such as the '73 Pinup, Candy Lids, '74 Puzzle, but I only bid on the ones I liked.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply-I will keep my eye open for the Yaz items-I think I might have a lead on the 73 pin up-I will check this weekend- I might be wrong but I thought I saw a 74 puzzle go on ebay within the last month or two.If you want e mail me your wantlist .I would like to give you mine since we look for the same items .Thanks Scott
    quitcrab@optonline.net
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I might be wrong but I thought I saw a 74 puzzle go on ebay within the last month or two. >>

You're not wrong. I bought one on eBay a couple months ago to replace the one I had that was off-centered.
  • Options
    That was a great pick up-the puzzles are tough items-I am glad that Brooks was not a part of that set.I was wondering what you think fair market value is for the 73 comics-Commons,semi stars,stars,. and then the Ryan card.Hope to here from you or e mail me directly at quitcrab@optonline.net Thanks Scott

anyone going to the philly show?????
  • Options
    Scott,

I really don't think fair-market value means anything for stuff this rare. As Donato said, he would pay $4,000 for a top-condition Ryan comic. So would I; so would CON40 (probably). I have no idea if there are guys that would pay more, so let's say that's the upper limit. Possibly the collectors of the other HOF players in the set aren't quite so nuts, but who knows. Here's a list of the players in the set and what I think I would want to get if I sold each of them on eBay (top condition):

AARON HANK -- $1,200
    ALLEN RICHIE -- $300
    BENCH JOHNNY -- $1,200
    CARLTON STEVE -- $500
    COLBERT NATE -- $300
    DAVIS WILLIE -- $300
    EPSTEIN MIKE -- $300
    JACKSON REGGIE -- $1,200
    KILLEBREW HARMON -- $800
    LOLICH MICKEY -- $300
    MARSHALL MIKE -- $300
    MAY LEE -- $300
    McCOVEY WILLIE -- $600
    MURCER BOBBY -- $300
    PERRY GAYLORD -- $400
    PINIELLA LOU -- $400
    ROBINSON BROOKS -- $800
    RYAN NOLAN -- $3,500
    SCOTT GEORGE -- $300
    SEAVER TOM -- $1,000
    STARGELL WILLIE -- $800
    TORRE JOE -- $400
    WILLIAMS BILLY -- $400
    YASTRZEMSKI CARL -- $1,000

Total: $16,900
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    I know most Bench master set collectors don't have this issue. They have deeper pockets than I do-I would say $1200 in top condition is easily reached...
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott,
    I have been reading the thread and know that you are a Brooks collector, was just curious if you collect other O's as well? I have a nice Jim Palmer 74 puzzle available if interested.

I'll be at the Ft. Washington show, it would be nice to meet, I'm a novice Robinson collector and would love to pick your brain a bit.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Bob...I wish I could have bought my set at your prices.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Bishop,
    You should have just bought your set at the same place that Bob Lemke shops. He's able to pick up the 1973 Comics for $7,000 in NM (says so right there in his price guide). He also seems to be able to buy 1982 Topps Blackless Morris cards for $3.00 a pop.
    Bob
  • Options
    Abe -I will be at the show 9 am Saturday-I would love to meet. Do you have a cell phone?-e mail me quitcrab@optonline.net
    scott
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Bob...Unfortunately we will both be really old before anyone other than us ( and Fred) thinks that our blackless sets are worth anymore than Lemke does. After all, what nut would pay as much for a blackless set as for a 73 Comic set ......
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Bob and Bishop:

I would like to know more about the 1982 Blackless set, and learn of any intricacies you can share. You can e-mail me at mschoenen@mba2005.hbs.edu.

I don't know where to find information about this set - and I don't have enough knowledge to judge whether or not the set that recently sold included a lot of hyperbole or not.

Cheers-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.