Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for members with websites...

Do any of you find your coins or medals for "sale" on the Bay of E?

I'm finding more and more of my images are being used in listings without a hint that the pics are not of the item for sale. Whenever I see them I report the seller for fraud to the Bay but that usually doesn't produce anything.

This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3957997092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

is ripped right off of my website, almost verbatim. The same guy has another medal, a restrike worth at most $50, listed with a BIN of ten times that and stole the text for it from my late friend David Block's website.

Do you folks go directly to eBay or to the seller? There's no excuse, especially with the sellers on this forum as an example, for anyone to not at least scan the actual item for sale. Miffed in souther California... image
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    Bring it up on the Liteside forum and turn the ebay police loose with it. They have been very successful at getting rid of the scum who do this kind of stuff.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    If they link to my images I change the image to one that says I stole this image from so and so. If they copy it and reupload it to eBay I'd report them to eBay.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>If they link to my images I change the image to one that says I stole this image from so and so. If they copy it and reupload it to eBay I'd report them to eBay. >>

Do you know when someone links to your images? or do you just happen to see it (and then switch it to the "stole this image from" message?)
    ~Debbie~
  • Options
    I just happen to stumble across them.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    The last time someone lifted a coin image from my website I went straight to the seller and called him on it. I gave him a choice to remove it or I was turning him in. He removed it.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have not had this happen that I know of, but if it ever does I'll find a way to make the seller's life hell!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I have had this happen to me once. I chose not to inform eBay but instead wrote to the seller directly, and also to the bidders to warn them that the coin they were bidding on wasn't the one in the picture.

Although the seller did not respond or remove the picture, the bids were retracted by the buyer before auction end.

I have also heard of this happening to other dealers - when they wrote to eBay's Fraud department, they were disappointed that little or no action was taken.
  • Options
    Well, so far not a peep (other than the automated response) from Ebay's fraud group. The seller (a power seller) has added a tiny note that says

<< <i>Not actual photo. Inquire. >>

I'm not actually worried, the guy's BIN price is at least $100 too high for this medal. Just pis-es me off when sellers are that lazy...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it happen on my images yet (doesn't mean it never has). I have reported fraud others have committed. I think it would be fun to nab a stupid crook doing that.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Oh the things you can do to someone who links to you without permission... image

I haven't been selling enough on ebay to worry about that problem - yet. I think I'd go directly to the "seller" and if the problem wasn't corrected directly, well then there are sorts of pictures and text that could be added to the link that could become highly entertaining. The though actually makes me smile. image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave