Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Selling to PSA set registry members........

A few questions for you guys. I know almost nothing about the PSA set registry and its members, so maybe you can help me out.

1) Is it considered bad etiquette to email somebody on the registry and let them know you have cards they don't have listed in the registry for sale?
2) If so, will you generally get more or less for them than if you listed them on ebay? For example, I have a bunch of PSA 9 82 Topps FB I planned on listing, but should I contact these guys first?
3) If I do list them for auction, is it considered bad etiquette to shoot them an email and let them know?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Comments

• For me, I don't mind an email letting me know what you have to sell flat out. Since I get most of my cards off Ebay, I generally know what certain cards for my sets go for and would be willing to make a fair offer. But I wouldn't send emails to people advertising Ebay auctions. You could post them on the "Buy Sell Trade" Thread and that would be just as good. Just make sure you put Ebay somewhere in the thread title. Some guys are a little touchy about Ebay spam on that thread.

David
  • yeah put that it's ebay spam in the title.

I agree folks can be too touch sometimes. The buy sell trade board is almost like the pennysaver now!
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • I think it's probably going to be hit or miss and pretty much unique to each individual you email.

I sent email to every participant in a certain set, letting them know I had some cards they could add to their collection, and did not receive a single response.

I sent 1 email to a participain in another set, and he responded saying that he wanted the card and we have exchanged many messages regarding collecting and other sets.

I would say go for it though, as my 2nd experience shows it can work out. If people want to get angry because you are trying to help them out then they shouldn't list their email address in the registry... Or they could post a disclaimer saying, "don't spam me for this set."
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    I have e-mailed others on the registry and they were happy to buy the cards they needed. I have never been contacted myself with cards to buy but I would welcome it. Now if you offered a 1982 PSA 9 xxxx for $20.00 to someone and they said no then put it on ebay with a buy it know of $15.00 I personally would feel as though you were trying to get a higher price out of me because I needed a card for my set.
  • yeah it would be kinda weird to offer the card to a one person for $20 and then put it on ebay for $15. That being said, that type of thing happens all the time, so I don't know how much stalk you can put in that.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • When I'm selling to other guys on the boards I usually offer then a price of about 5-10% less than what I could get on ebay because it saves me the time and hassle of making an auction, plus it saves me the ebay fees.

Also, I love it when people email me with offers for cards I need for sets
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    I've probably emailed 20 or so registry set owners about cards I have on ebay and have yet to get a negative response. I believe it has helped me in selling cards. I had a 1984 Donruss Jim Rice PSA 10 that I emailed several 1984 Donruss guys. My eBay auction had a price of $25 (I think). One of the guys emailed back and thought that the price was too high. He was right. I got no bids, but sold the card for around $15 or $18 after the auction to somebody who had seen the auction. So I have gotten helpful tips from these folks.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Thank you for asking this question before spaming people, shows you have good etiquette.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Nuts! E-mail me anytime you have 78 Topps baseball. Check out my registry set ! Set name is "No spokes for these 78's" image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Anyone - email me with cards you have that I need for my sets...I always welcome it!