Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Early Commemorative 144 Set - PCGS # 3 - Selling

I am thinking of selling off my PCGS Early Commemorative 144 set of coins, currently # 3 ranked set.

All the coins are either blast white or have very light gold rim toning. Most of the coins are MS 65, with only a few coins in MS 64. Also there are a few MS66's and a couple of MS 67's. (Sorry "tone-lovers" nothing for you here ! )

My favorite dealer has expressed a strong desire to buy the set intact and I am tempted to sell it to them.

I know what I have into it but I am wondering what the BIN price would be.

I'm not considering consigning to an auction house or to a dealer on a consignment basis. This would be an outright sale.

Any thoughts ?

Please PM me. Thanks.

Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    ttt
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    sell them to me....dirt cheap!

TTT
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike:

Before you sell your set, are you thinking of getting it pedigreed? I am unsure of what it would do to the value--because it's not the #1 set, I doubt it would have a large positive effect and I worry that it might have a mild negative effect from collectors who don't want their coins "named." (By the way, that's not me--I am always interested in who owned "my" coins before I did.) Perhaps that's a question you might ask your favorite dealer.

I wonder why you don't go the auction route. It seems like auctions are hot, though it might be that they are hot for only the top pop coins and seriously colored coins. But, even so, I think I'd probably talk with someone about auctioning the coins. I'd probably choose ANR but that might be heart over brain because Heritage might be a better financial choice. Regardless, I, personally, would talk with ANR.

Mark
    Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the imput. The auction route would normally be the way to go, however the set being sold intact is worth a bit more than the sum of its parts. Speculating on someone meeting my reserve in the future doesn't net the results I would like immediately.

Pedigreeing the entire set isn't worth the efforts, with 144 ( plus the two Norse medals ) at $30 per coin wouldn't pay for itself. I very well may send in the more pricier coins for regarde... such as the Lafayette, Hawaiian and the two Missouri's. They are in older holders and could be worth a shot of upgrading.

There are no toners in this set. All are either blast white or are creamy white with the slightest rim toning.
    This set can't hold a candle to Bruce Sher's set, but a stunning set none-the-less.

The set averages ( w/out the two MS 65 Norse Thin & Thick medals ) 64.98. There are also a few NGC 66's duplicates which I have been too lazy to send in for cross over.

I had planned on sending this set to my favorite dealer until I was advised that the set had escalated beyond what I thought its net worth would bring.

Any interested parties, feel free to respond with a PM.

Again, this set will NOT be sent on a consignment basis.

Thank you again for your inquiry, Mark.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    ttt
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Mark,

PCGS will pedigree and reholder any Registry set that is 90% complete and is ranked in the top five. They do it for free. All you have to do is get the coins to them and pay postage to get them back.
    TTT for the Baltimore Coin Show crowd if they're on line...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases