Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins at Gun Shows?

My mom went to a gun show in Mesa, AZ today and told me that they were selling coins at almost every table (alongside the knives and guns). Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I've never gone to a gun show but if that's the case I'll probably go to the next one and check it out.

Millertime

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've seen many coins at gun shows but it's been my experience that they are mostly junk being sold by people who think they are a whole lot more valuable than they really are. That being said I did cherrypick an off center morgan about a year ago for 10$ at a local gunshow lol.
  • Options
    I have seen coins at two of the gun shows I went to with my father last year. Not at every table, but there were quite a few tables that had them. Most were junk that the gun dealers thought were worth a ton. Lots of common date silver coins that were way overpriced. There seemed to be a few fairly priced items, but you really had to look for them. I went through a bin of Darkside stuff looking for something of value, but found mostly junk modern stuff that wasn't worth squat.

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    I have seen the same thing too but most of the material is cleaned junk.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    There's usually lots of guns at coin shows. You just don't see them. Unless of course you're doing something stupid.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    There are always a couple of coin dealers at gun shows here in Houston.
  • Options
    A dealer told me he does really well at gun shows with silver rounds that have anything outdoors on them. Especially the Buffalo ones.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>There's usually lots of guns at coin shows. You just don't see them. Unless of course you're doing something stupid. >>

AMEN!
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A toned coin dealer friend of mine (now deceasedimage) was at a gun show. He saw a certified unbelievable Monster toned Morgan at this one gun dealers table. My friend asked the gun dealer how much for the coin. The gun dealer said it wasn't for sell, only on display. My friend asked the dealer if there was any price he would be willing to sell the coin for. The gun dealer said "yes $1500.00". My friend took out $1500.00 and promptly paid the gun dealer. The gun dealer was in shock and handed my friend the coin and said "it's your coin now".image
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be: Guns at Coin Shows?

Joe. image
  • Options
    Theres a gun shop here that sells coins too but they are way overpriced for common dates. There isn't anyone there to help you if you have a question about a coin let alone open the case for you so I don't go there anymore.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    It's the old "GUNS 'N GOLD" mentality. Hard ammo and hard assets...image
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    First coins I ever bought--a bunch of mint sets including a 1999 Silver Proof Set for $80, were at a country auction in Vermont that mostly featured guns. All kinds of guns, a hundred or so of them, everything from German lugers to 14-gauge shotguns. There were other sundry items, but most of the buyers were there for those guns. Heck, there was only two other bids for the coins. My wife and I came home happy; she got some cast-irons skillets that apparently are harder to come by these days, and I got the coins and a few other things.
    I had no idea that the coins were worth much. I got them for my little kid, thought it would be a neat hobby. As it turned out, I am the one that got hooked, as I was mesmerized by these pretty coins that had much greater value than I anticipated.
    Why it is that guns, coins, watches, rings and pawn shops seem to go together....it says something, but I have no idea as to what.

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I have been butting heads against one of these gun/coin seller's for a long time on eBay. His ID is Beatone and he mostly has purchased high end and toned coins. However, I have noticed that recently he has diminished his purchasing.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    This must be a location thing. I've never seen a coin dealer at a coin show. Of course maybe just didn't pay attention enough. Went there for guns. I have seen several jewelry sellers at gun shows though. Asked this lady one time how she expects to sell that stuff at a gun show. Her reply was that many men bring their wives to these shows so they can see whats going on. While there, they get bored with all the guns and wind up at the jewelry counter and usually buy lots of stuff just to make their husbands mad or something. For the women interested in guns they also look for jewelry that has something to do with guns. Charms for bracelets are big sellers. I've seen knives, clothing, blow guns, tents and other outdoor supplies but just don't remember ever seeing a coin dealer. Being a coin collector I should have noticed.
    Carl
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>There's usually lots of guns at coin shows. You just don't see them. Unless of course you're doing something stupid. >>

At this coin shop I go to in SLC one of the guys behind the counter carries a gun in his holster all the time. The only problem is he's about 70 and somewhat shaky so even if he could get his gun out I don't think he could hit anything. I guess he figures it's a deterent though.

Millertime
  • Options
    I've been wondering about this connection ever since attending the San Jose (Ca.) Coin and Gun shows in the early eighties.

My guess is that most of us have 2 things in their safe, guns and coins. Got the safe open, might as well sell 'em both.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    This thread caught my attention because of all the possible combinations of things that a person could collect - I collect guns (rifles), and coins. There must be some subliminal connection there. Also, the closest coin shop to me is a combination gun/coin shop.
  • Options
    You think guns and coins for sale together is funny, Sacramento has a gun, coin, and doll show every year at Cal Expo (where the State far is), and there is usually a couple very large floors reserved solely for the coins. Since I'm fairly new to the coin collecting scene, I've only browsed the gun section of those shows all these years, but am eagerly awaiting the next show to see just what might be for sale there in the way of coins. If I find any great deals, or if I experience the common, overly-priced crap, I'll let y'all know.
    Guns and dolls - doesn't get much more contrasting then that.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gun shows and gun dealers always love coins....dont ask me why...maybe its just a guy thing....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see where Beatone bid a lot but rarely bought. Maybe he just bid to get it on his watch list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file