Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Varieties are Lame

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
So writes the cataloguer of the US Mint collection in 1914:

"Varieties are chiefly the evidence of unskillful or slovenly workmanship at the mint; they have little if any bearing upon the history of the coinage...."

This was probably written by John Landis, Mint Director (although the book is not explicitly clear about the author).

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like varieties... I can see them as neat, but I like type right now (one day maybe I'll go into varieties) and every time I see a nice coin, it's always a variety, and twice as much image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
  • Options
    I like emmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Since I have a pop 1 variety morgan, I like them a lot! image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, and mint marks are a pain as well. Whoever decided we should start doing more than just collect proofs by date ruined things for everyone.

Damn I'm glad I live in an age when we have information, choices, and the freedom to make them. Oh yes, and thank heavens for minimum wage employees past and present at the Mint.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Found by my staff writer and photographer in a bucket of circ wheats about three hours ago...

Not bad for a two-cent find!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    In a world where everything is mass-produced and individual craftsmanship is rare.... varieties are a pretty cool reminder of the subtle nuances that make ourselves and the rest of the world interesting....image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties are great - Makes you think about the coinage process and do more than just fill holes. Collecting coins w/o including the varieties would be a pretty sterile endeavor.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, they are lame. Just send them to me and I will make sure they are varieties and then you can dump them... better yet, I'll just dump them for you! image
    Doug
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly...without the die varieties, Lincoln cents would be down right boring. I'd have to find a different specialty. I don't collect them for looks, I collect them for the challenge of it all. If I collected strictly by looks, it would be SLQs.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry guys, maturity is right around the corner and with maturity, comes the realization that varieties are AWESOME. They are the natural progression of wisdom and knowledgeimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    This little fishy ain't takin the bait.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    The straight coins themselves are hard enough to find without chasing the varieties, but I am very much attracted to certain ones and chase them regularly. I am speaking in particular about mint mark varieties, mainly Proof "S" mint marks of Type-1 & Type-2, Types 1,2,3 Ikes, Large Dates & Small Dates pennies, Large S & Small S, Round Serif, New Serif and San Serif, not to mention I keep my eyes peeled for the "No S " nickels and dimes! With those extra coins to look for, I wouldn't have money enough to pay for DD's, RPM's and other varieties...except I found the cash for a Wisconsin-D Leaf Variety Set. That variety turned me on...as do the Accented Hair Kennedy's and the Wide Rim SBA'a. Jeez, my list grows bigger every month or so. At this pace, will I soon turn into a full blown variety collector? I hope not. But, I can see why someone would say varieties are lame - there's so many of them and keeping it simple suits some people like collecting every variety may suit others.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    For the most part RPM's are lame (except something like the 38 s/s/s lincoln), OMM's can be cool but many suck, Doubled dies however are cool.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties may be evidence of poor practices and work at the mint but they are
    extremely instructive to collectors. They tell us about those practices as they
    exist in real life and provide important clues about the minting process. They also
    show how coins are distributed and packaged. They assure there are always
    more coins to collect.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i can understand the cataloguers view on varieties given his position at that time in history.
    these `poor examples of quality control` would surely be `beneath` him, and so should it be for YOU too, if you were in HIS shoes.

now, cladking speaks about the true nature of varieties and how they fit in with coin collecting today.
    whether you think they are lame or not, they are most certainly significant to most collectors for all the reasons
    cladking said plus a few others probably.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Some cataloguers in 1914 were lame.

Tomimage
  • Options
    So it has been said Variety is the spice of life. Without variety(ies) all coins would be is just money...pretty boring stuff!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Truth be told, he is correct in describing varieties as "slovenly workmanship".
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file