Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raiding my girlfriend's collection

Mostly Morgan's bought about ten years ago from Rare Coin Galleries that are in these big plastic sandwich-type holders with plastic screws holding them together. ANACS graded MS65/65 and a certificate and picture slabbed with them, then the whole thing in a nice velvet bag. Never seen anything like this before!

The Morgan's are toning and I don't think it's the kind of toning people like. Brown and black, no colors. Would you get these re-slabbed at PCGS perhaps?

Comments

• Options
    I got one of those in an ebay auction a few months ago, around $150, sent it to Tumuss for the tsunami auction, so Wondo has it now. It too was 65/65, nice rim bullseye rim toning, red/blue, picture cert. Sort of neat, and I wish the grading was still obv and rev like that, it would be much more informative.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Are any of them Transfer certificates? Look for the word Transfer and a date around the upper left corner. If the certificates have dates, what are they? (The holders and bags are an aftermarket item.)
  • Options
    Yes, I'm sure they do say transfer on them. What is a transfer certificate? I don't know the date off-hand. I could get her to drag them out again and check if it's important. I think they were bought about ten years ago.

• Options
    Maybe NCS They might be able to help but i'm not sure.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I'm sure they do say transfer on them. What is a transfer certificate? I don't know the date off-hand. I could get her to drag them out again and check if it's important. >>

When ANACS certified a coin they registered the coin to the submitter in their files and put their name on the certificate. When the coin was sold the new owner could return the certificate and a small fee to have the registration changed from the previous owner to them and they would send back a new certificate of the current variety with the date of the transfer on it, the original certification date, and the new registered qwners name. Since very few people cared about the registration, only a tiny percentage of the certificates were ever sent back in. Although in theory transfer certificates could exist for all 10 varieties of ANACS certificates, so far they have only been reported on ANACS 4, 5, & 6. So far i have only seen about half a dozen specimens. one ANACS 4T, one ANACS 6T and the rest ANACS 5T

The reason I asked about the dates is because I and constantly trying to refine the exact dates when each certificate type was issued. To do that I keep track of the earliest and latest dates seen for each certificate type.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up a 1924 - D Lincoln in just such a holder. I will have to check the certificate. What blew me away was the holder. I am 99% sure this holder is made by Capital Plastics. Since I also collect Capital Plastic holders, I was real impressed with the simple display qualities the board has. What I also discovered by calling ANACS yesterday, was that they will not put the coin in new holder for their usual $5 fee to "reholder" from one ANACS holder to a new one. image So the coin will be graded as raw using what ever service you pick.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Conder101 -

Two of the transfer dates are 08-06-85 and one is 09-08-84. She couldn't see where the type of certificate was noted but maybe on Thursday I can look at them myself and see if that is noted anywhere.

The two that are toning are in Encore holders. They have pictures with them and one picture shows no toning at all so my original concern with these was they are not being protected well. I was thinking maybe she should get them reslabbed. From my reading on this board I believe the suggestion to send them to NCS was to get them conserved and slabbed. They're not black yet but one is well on it's way. Maybe she should stop storing them on top of a pile of old books.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file