Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scoreboard certified autographs

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these authentic? >>

Hi Krazyace
    Yes and no. Back in the late 80's to early 90's, they had a ton of great people under contract including Mantle and Bonds. So if you purchased from them direct or from a reliable source like Penny's catalog, all is well. Now those COA's have no serial number to match it with the item. So, if I took my Mantle ball, got it authenticated by PSA/DNA, I could conceivably make my own Mantle ball and use the Scoreboard COA.

So, in their day, I trust Scoreboard but not the way they did COA's. This is just my opinion.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i think there are alot of fakes too, though.. it seems like i see so many of these scoreboard "buyback" autos with just a scoreboard "stamp" kinda like a "notary" stamp..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    99.9% of the "Scoreboard" autos you see on ebay are fakes. Usually they're easy enough to tell because the auto's aren't even close and are very, very poor forgeries. This has been discussed before, but I'll get to the gist of it here. When Scoreboard went bankrupt in the late 90's they sold off everything, unfortunately they seemed to think nothing wrong with selling their embossing tool. So, a handful of people picked them up (I've seen sellers in Germany, Singapore and the US) and now they sit and autograph whatever cards they want, hit them with the ol' "Scoreboard Authentic Autograph" embosser and voila. As stone eluded to, they did have some nice players under contract and from what I can remember, the early 90s autos of HOF'ers were legit and I don't recall having ever seen a fake of those. They were all signed in a gold paint pen and still command good premiums. I know Musial, Mantle, Yaz and others were part of the set.

My advice, if you see an auction like this one Fake Favre Auto then run, run far away.

A lot of the sellers are trying to push them as buyback autos, whats even more humorous is when they autograph a card from 2003 or something and scoreboard had been out of business for 6 or 7 years at that point.
  • Options
    Josh
    That stuff you are talking about is pure crap. I was talking about COA's issued back around 1990 when there was less of an incentive to forge Mantle's auto - heck, a ball back then was in the 39-49 buck range and a Bonds ball would set you back about a 15-20 bucks. In 1993, Mantle was signing at Hoffstra for only 60 bucks if memory serves - and that was a ton of dough for an auto back then. The times have changed.

So, in conclusion, we can agree - unfortunately due to Kenny boy running Classic/Scoreboard into the ground and the inflation of auto prices - I wouldn't trust any COA that doesn't have matching numbers and a really Big Name! PSA/DNA, GAI e.g.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Also run far far away from "Favre Star Pics Autos", I would say the majority if not all are fake.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    How do they fake the Favre autos?
  • Options
    They take the regular Favre card, sign it, and slap a sticker on it which they take off of a different card.
  • Options
    the stickers remove without damage?
  • Options
    I've never tried it, but I am sure that their are times the sticker does get damaged and can't be used. I mean, think about it though, say they buy a lot of 100 common star pics autos for $400 and are able to successfully do this with 15 of the 100 stickers. The autos go for around $100 or more. Haven't you realized all the "different" autos popping up on the bay? All these "rare ones" Signed on front with clear sticker, signed on front with gold sticker, signed in blue, signed in black, signed in red. I've never known more than one person to do the authenticating of an auto for the same card in star pics. Each sticker has it's own initials and for some reason Favre's have every single one that has ever been used to authenticate a card.
  • Options
    I looked on ebay and the Favre auto is the only one on there from the set so I don't know where they would get commons. I also noticed PSA and BGS has graded multiple versions so are these all fake? I had one a while back, I wonder if it was authentic? I still have the scan- what do you think?

• Options
    Other sports had autos too, basketball and hockey. They all had the sticker for the authentication. You need to remember when it comes to grading, they only look at the condition of the card, they don't PSA/DNA certify the auto(unless you pay for that service) neither does BGS. They see the sticker and that is all. I also don't recall any magazine or anything listing any Favre autos until years after the release and star pics was gone, then all of a sudden thousands have come out of the woodwork all different variations, etc. That is the problem with that set, nothing is different between the base card and the auto. The only difference is the scribble with a pen and a little sticker.
  • Options
    Allen
    Here is the only PSA/DNA auto I could find right now - let's compare.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AUTOS

I personally wouldn't touch any of these with a ten foot pole. Making the high bidder private just makes it even worse.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Stone, while the auto's are different, Brett's auto has changed a bit over the years, so the football and card comparison aren't really good samplings. However, the ball you chose happens to be a bit older of an auto, probably 2-3 years old or more. His current autos (as can be seen on Ultimate Collection for example) are a completely different "B". The other big changes have been whether or not he pronounces the "A" in Favre... a lot of times you'll see "F a......loop" the "4" is usually an odd scribbly (think 4 year old) thing too. Kind of like Peyton Mannings "M"

Below, is a good example of a current favre auto in comparison to the one you showed on the ball. You'll see these key differences I've pointed out. On his really old autos, I don't remember him keeping the line in the "B" connected to the "B" all in one motion (like the football) Seems to me it was a very small line and then much more like the ball you showed.