Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

wax stain removal (front of card)

What would be the best way to remove a wax stain from the front of a card?

Won a 71-72 Howe and am tired of fighting with the seller about the wax stain he never said anything about on this card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.......

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that Nylon pantyhose are the only way to attempt to get wax stains off......................You do not have to be wearing them at the time.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

Doesn't that take all the fun out of it....image
  • Options
    Easy.

Go to your local hardware store or Home Depot, ask them where the "Goo-Gone" is... it's a mineral spirits product that removes adhesive, gunk, OR gum in your case, and it will not harm the gloss on the card one iota. Once you have purchased the product, pour a smidgen into the cap and then saturate the tip of a Q-tip and start to remove. It should take like all of a minute or so to remove the wax... the nature of the product will help it dry and all the wax will have been removed.

Please follow these instructions and tell me how it goes... forget the pantyhouse nonsense as I have tried both methods and find that using a nylon can scratch the gloss if one is too aggressive. Hope this helps...
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Who is willing to put up their wax-stained 52 mantle card to see if this Goo-Gone stuff works??....................image

Perhaps using the Goo-Gone and wearing the panty hose will do the trick.

I have actually never attmpted to remove any of wax stains on my cards.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Pantyhose will do the trick, I've used them to remove wax several times. Try it on a fairly worthless card first to make sure you're not scratching. It's harder to get the stain off if you're wearing them.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Pantyhose works. I have even used it on the back of cards before.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Goo-gone works. I used it to remove wax stains on a '69 mantle I had graded... it came back an 8, which is what it deserved... it's like the stain was never there after I was done and it does not harm the card or gloss... just be sure to use the product sparingly, do not over-do it... rub lightly at first and voila. Stain gone. If you are nervous and don't believe that this works, try it on a wax-stained common first... you will see...

I'd love to get my hands on a '52 PSA 7 ST Mantle and use my technique to double its value... if you are careful, there is no risk of harming the card as the product evaporates in a matter of seconds.
  • Options
    Let's see how efficient the card market is......

Will the price of PSA ST's being going up soon?image

Mr Mint use to sell a product back in the 90's that removed stains. Did anyone ever try it?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pantyhose will do the trick, I've used them to remove wax several times. Try it on a fairly worthless card first to make sure you're not scratching. It's harder to get the stain off if you're wearing them. >>

Gentlemen
    I agree...removing wax from a card with the stockings on is strictly for Professionals!

Mike
  • Options
    Then how do ya get stains off of nylons?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pantyhose will do the trick, I've used them to remove wax several times. Try it on a fairly worthless card first to make sure you're not scratching. It's harder to get the stain off if you're wearing them. >>

Gentlemen
    I agree...removing wax from a card with the stockings on is strictly for Professionals!

image >>

Mike, is that your bedroom? Your sick! They can't even help you sort Heritage! (sorry to bring up heritage on this post) image
  • Options

Thanks for all your help about the wax stain. I have Goo-Gone where I work for tag adhesives and the like. Duh.....

Mike, is it strange that I find even those pics, uh well, you know..... I need to get a life, any goods for cheap on the 'bay?
  • Options
    There was a thread about this several weeks ago as well. Go to Michael's get some rubber cement remover (heptane) this does not leave a residue that the goo gone may from the other solvents present.
  • Options
    Heptane? Thanks for the tip Bill...I have never had a residue problem using GG but if heptane is better I am sold... thx
  • Options
    chicago,
    That reminds me of a funny Gallagher joke (I know it's hard to believe): "How do they get tephlon to stick to the pan?"

Be carefull with the goo gone; It's powerful enough to remove the gloss if you use too much. Pantyhose usually works for the card fronts, and sometimes the back if the surface has any gloss (works great for Fleer bask. stickers). Make sure you trim your fingernails well because you may accidentally put a dent in the card.

Lee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    windcarver
    Are you going to submit this card for grading? If so, does these chemicals leave an odor? I would try it on a card you don't care about. Since there is a disqualifier that PSA has if they detect an odor:

N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

Mike, you have a point about the "whitening" due to the 71-72
    hockey stuff having an all white background with an oval color splash & pic of the player.

I'll dig up some other cheap waxers to experiment with and I'll let
    you know what I find.

• Options
    *Warning*
    I just tried the goo gone and it leaves a Distinctive odor. Smells like citrus.
    I dont know if the smell will wear-off or not. I'll leave the card sit for a few weeks and update the thread.
    BTW, i didnt even try it on a wax stain as it figures when ya want one ya can't find one.

Chuck

<< <i>windcarver
    Are you going to submit this card for grading? If so, does these chemicals leave an odor? I would try it on a card you don't care about. Since there is a disqualifier that PSA has if they detect an odor:

N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains

your friend
    Mike >>

• Options
    I used to work in a lab, and one of the workers told me heptane is very dangerous. I think he said its toxic and to try something else on a card. I usually use toilet tissue.