Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Keeper or not?

I bought this in a collection and am trying to decide if it is ever going to have value in the condition it is. Does it look cleaned? And what would it grade? Poor? Thanks in advance. -Dan

Comments

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    imageimage

Hard to tell if it's cleaned from the pictures.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It looks cleaned, not that it matters as the coin is pretty far gone. Keep it as a filler until a better one comes along.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks corroded to me. It is a short '6' variety which usually sell for $2.00 in G-VG.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. It was just as I had figured. -Dan
  • Options
    In VG it is $3 retail, but after whatever happened to the coin, it is now probably worth copper. As an item of interest to have around the place, or as a pocket coin to show, it might have more worth. Something or someone altered the surfaces too much to do much else with. Meanwhile, you might also need it to fill a hole!
    I have only two New Brunswick coins. They are not terribly common, so definitely a point of interest. I have Nova Scotia coins too, the oldest 1824. It has a Scottish thistle flower on one side.
    Wish we had a better one to offer you!
    See US coins, on my website
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    It looks to me like it's a corroded coin that's gone through an acid bath.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I would not doubt that. I bought a collection of 200 misc. coins for $30 and all of the older pieces were not in the best shape, but i did get some really nice keepers from the early to mid 1900's. -Dan
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet that one was dug up by a detectorist who then harshly cleaned it to see what it was. Pretty corroded piece.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    A filler only. It looks in worse shape than some of my "Poor" grade Romans.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options

I'm w/ PP and the rest -- it's a filler, but an unusual one. Pretty color.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    sea salvage or detector find, cleaned. Interesting piece though!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22