Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How does the low value of the US Dollar effect buying power?

How has the lower value of the US dollar against the euro and the pound effect your buying power? For me it's not so much the price of the item as it is the amount to ship it here to the states. Do you find yourself buying less?

Comments

• It's killing me!! image I'm passing on so many coins right now just for that very reason.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Its great this side of the pond buying !
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>Its great this side of the pond buying ! >>

Yeah, yeah Tony rub it in would ya???imageimage
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's killing me!! image I'm passing on so many coins right now just for that very reason. >>

Same here!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    It costs more!! image

When I started buying British milled thingamabobs the USD-GBP rate was 1.42 give or take; it's now hovering around 1.92. That's a 35%+ jump alone. Add to that about a 50% increase in the GBP denominated value for true gem uncirculated Vickys and its about "twice the price for nice", or anything else for that matter.

The good news is the extra bits and bobs are also about doubled in value in the last three years, so I'll most likely be selling the lesser areas of interest in exchange for more Vics..... image

P.S. I'm waiting for the UK real estate bubble to pop......I'd like to figure out how to get my house transported to the UK......image
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I've had to hire a German burglar to help me out as I can't afford the auctions any longer. He scopes out the auctions and then pulls a B&E of the winners homes several weeks later. I am saving the 15% juice charges but the shipping is still killing me...image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm finding it especially difficult to get the few Canadian coins I need to fill my sets. Most of these are sold by Canadian dealers and the exchange rate is killing me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    It's upped the prices in my niche.
    But the alternative is to not buy at all.
    I can't deal with that.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • It has definately slowed me down, on the upside now that I have to save money to purchase coins I have a tendancy to buy better quality. My collection is changing from VF-AU to BU-PR. It's not growing as quickly as I would like but the quality improvement is a marked contrast. So, I guess its a good thing.image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    The exchange rate is a killer - all the good British coins are gone largely thanks to it.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's working out great for me. I've been selling my European coins and buying more Latin American.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.