Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Best way to protect medals? Wyon picture inside!!

I have a wall cabinet my stepfather made, which I love. I've been wondering though if it could be harmful? Should I be doing more to protect the medals? It's not like there are airtights for some of them! image The cabinet is wood and glass.

Plus I recently got a silver medal with some great toning...some really pretty blue involved. The pictures are bad -- I was waiting for a sunny day which didn't seem to help much. Reality is somewhere in between the two. Anyway, I don't want to ruin it through improper storage or neglect!

Advice would be appreciated! Thanks image

Cathy

Comments

• I can't help with adviceimage but I sure can enjoy those medals. The silver one is terrific!!!!!
    Shep
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Nice medals Cathy!!! I too can't shed little light on your bulkhead cabinet. I know there was a thread on the lightside forum about storing coins and such in wood cabinets and boxes and that certain woods did harm to them. I would think that unless you sealed things in something airtight everything is exposed to the elements. As you said in this case it would be hard since they really don't make airtights for medals. I am sure someone here can give some better advice than me on this matter.

Edited for "can't"
  • Nice wall setup!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Try here.... Emerson woodworks The cabinets I use were manufactured here.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Hanging that much value and weight to the wall would scare me to death. I have all my medals in a half round curio cabinet, mirrored back. Not much chance of that falling and it provides viewing and protection. cachemans cabinets are beautiful also. image
  • nice!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Very nice display. You have an impressive collection going there.
    The main problem with medals is their safe storage. Different finishes on the wood will emit "vapors" over time. I have a friend with a similiar set-up as you. He left the wood unfinished and lined the inside with the Intercept Shield material. He got sheets of it by writing to the directly and explaining what he needed. It may not be total protection, but at least it's something.
    Airtite does have some holders for the smaller medals. Call them directly and they may be able to help you out also.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is a neat case, it would be a shame not to use it for something. However, as nice as it looks I would not use it for your collection of medals.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Great cabinet and looks very, very attractive, Cathy!!image But as for safe storage you'd better hear others image

By the way, is somebody knows any Website, there is possible to purchase such small "standing holders" for medals, wich you are using here (don't know how exactly I should call them)?
    N. N.
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>somebody knows any Website, >>

Text
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Let's See. Looking at the Cabinet and starting at the top left...

I would like to own: #1, #2,,ahhh, #3,,,Of Course #4,,,grrrr....

Nice Cabinet.
  • Great link! Thanks, Boz
    See US coins, on my website
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rats...you all are telling me pretty much what I expected...which still leads me to the question, what is the safest way to actually protect the medals (i.e. from environmental hazards)? Thanks image

Cathy

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Nice cabinet, Cathy -- and even nicer collection!! image

I've heard so many arguments every which way, I'm unsure what the best solution is. However, I suspect that the answers to the best way to "store" and the best way to "display" might not always be the same.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot, it looks great and what a pleasure it must be to be able to display your beautiful collection like this.I've always been anal with presentation, so my advice is to go ahead and use it as it is, it'll make your stepfather very happy. image Besides, none of the medals or plaquettes seem to be in direct contact with the wooden panels,and I really don't share all these fears about the dangers of wood. Let's not forget that the most expensive collections are usually found in nice wooden coin cabinets.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Love your Wyon St George image

If it does not fit the bigger medal Air-Tite holders, there is a company (I forget the name) that makes custom holders (size and thickness) using lucite pieces locked together by a plastic screw and nut. I'm sure somebody else would know what I mean and would be able to identify the company.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • I do like the display case, but I would put the medals in some sort of protective holder.

I have a local company that makes custom holders for my medals and plate money. They laser cut them from different thicknesses of acrylic, and the medals or coins fit exactly in them. The pieces are held together with plastic screws. If I order more than 5 or 6 at a time they charge about $15.00 each for 4 ½ inch square holders. I make arrangements in advance for their schedule, and take the medals in the morning, to be finished by early afternoon. Check to find a company locally that actually does the work, and you will get a better price than someone who just sells the service.

If you would like a picture, send me a PM, and I will e-mail a couple to you.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Boz, thanks for the great link! Cathy I really like your idea of your display case and also thinking about something like that, for some of my ship- and other medals image
    N. N.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the ideas, maybe a compromise with holders, but in the cabinet, will work. image

Shipcoin--I was lucky with the case, my step-father made it. If you are after a nice wood case check Solid's website (Solid-craft). He takes custom orders--made me a lovely display for something else.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful display of medals, Cathy. I'll PM my shipping address so that you can get that Wyon right out to me!!!! imageimageimageimage
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic medals. The display case is also excellent. The only hazard I would suspect the wood causing is oxidation. There's not apt to be anything noxious in there like flouride or chloride.

There is probably enough concern with oxidation just from the air and moisture to justify getting the medals in some type of holder.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.