Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Barber halves, Long Beach show, and lunch with David Hall and Ron Guth

It was all the good things I had hoped for. PCGS and especially BJ did a great job, with posters and people to assist the collectors who wanted to view these fabulous coins. Drs Duckor, Shireman and I extends a BIG thanks to PCGS.

Lunch with DH and Ron Guth, the new Director of Research for PCGS. was a special event. David answered all sorts of questions, and put the proper perspective on completing a series in high grades--try to keep it intact, and sell way down the line.

The Show was well attended, and the auction of Bruce Scher's Registry sets went very well. A full house, and multiple bidders on a majority of lots. I was able to buy 3 coins, but no monsters.

There was some absence of high end coins on the floor. No 1796 quarters or 1796/97 halves. Most of the the Early dollars were VF to AU, seeing only 1 AU 58 PCGS slabbed 1795 Draped bust. Only 1 MS 66 bust half. and of course the 1808 in MS 67 at Legend's table.

But all the dealers I spoke with were happy and busy. Shepherd reported that commens were hot, and also colorful Morgan dollars went fast. At multiples up to 30 times sheet.

I heard no complaints from anyone, but then I didn't try to submit coins for cross or regrades. That may have been the only negative comment around the floor. It may be something that slows, with the bad results being obtained.
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I want to second Dale's comments about our Barber half displays and the luncheon with David Hall and Ron Guth. It was a great experience to finally meet David and to have down to earth discussions with him from topics ranging from the start of PCGS to current grading issues.

Dale and I hope to get our sets professionally imaged soon and posted on the registry set site.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    That lunch must have been something. I bet we could have auctioned off

a seat at the table, for big bucks, just to be able to listen to the conversation.

Pictures would be a splendid experience both educational and beautywise

for all of us folks in Coinalot.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    We are all looking forward to the images of these sets...are Steve Duckor's coins being imaged as well ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Images of Dale Friend's set and mine are being done by Superior galleries. Dale and I met with Sil DiGenova and had a great lunch and discussion about barber halves. It may take a bit of time for the coins to get properly imaged, but we are assured that their in-house professional photographer will produce images worthy of our coins. Once available, these images will be posted with our registry sets. To our knowledge, Dr. Duckor has opted not to have his set imaged at this time.

I am in the beginning stages of considering writing a book on barber half dollars and would like comments from anyone regarding such a project, including ideas about organization of such a book and contents and style. Feel free to PM me on this.
    Dr. Pete