Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

81/82 topps basketball

i recently purchased a wax box of 81/82 topps basketball. i have 3 packs with stars showing (bird, erving, jabbar). would you send these packs to GAI for grading or are the stars on them irrelevant? This is the regular issue cards not the super action. the bird is the most difficult to tell from the scan.

edited: removed images due to taking up bandwidth

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id
    How much does it cost to have the pack graded?

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    1 caveat......those 3 cards are all gonna have wax stains. I just had several PSA9 & 9OC auctions end last week for 81-82 basketball. The best I did on ebay was $7.99 BIN for a Dr. J 9 OC.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    This set doesn't generate a lot of interest, so it doesn't command much of a premium for wax, even with stars showing. East packs are worth a bit more, since those have the McHale. Since the bottom cards likely have wax stains on the front of the card, they can be removed fairly easily, so they might be worth opening, if the cards on the bottom of the packs in this box are in good shape. You could always test grade a few and try to sell them, but unless they are going to get an 8.5 or above (and these look like they might not, but it is hard to tell), they probably aren't worth getting GAI to certify.
  • Options
    Hi Rana, what would you do to remove a wax stain from the front of a card?
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i got a PSA 9 jabbar for 10 bucks the other day....this is a nice set.....the only way it can go is UP.

loth
  • Options
    To remove wax stains on the front of cards some people will suggest rubbing with panty hose. That may work, but I've found it too abrasive for the fronts, though it seems to work OK on the backs. I use a soft cotton cloth or shirt (even a simple hanes T or a polo type knit shirt will work), and I'm happy with the results. You have to rub a bit harder for longer, but it doesn't leave any scratches on the surface if you do it right. Be sure you don't rub all the gloss off the card or rub with a fingernail - use the pad of your index finger. Test it on a couple of commons first and don't rub close to the the edges/corners of the card without being sure you won't damage them.
  • Options
    This deja vu all over again... buy some goo-gone from a hardware store or CVS, saturate the tip and then remove the stain...do not worry about the card getting wet, the stuff dries very quickly, the mineral spirits will not harm the gloss.

GL and tell us how it goes
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the input. i went ahead and opened the packs. just as mentioned, each of the cards showing had gum stains on front that were removed easily with panty hose. the centering on all 3 stars showing was superb.

overall they were 3 good packs and i'm glad i opened them. i'm planning to submit the birds and a few others.

bird pack yielded: bird, gervin, malone, magic super action, issel super action
    erving pack yielded: erving (dinged corner), another bird (wow!), and a gervin
    kareem pack yielded: kareem, magic (oc), and magic super action

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i got a PSA 9 jabbar for 10 bucks the other day....this is a nice set.....the only way it can go is UP.

loth >>

i got a PSA 9 Moses Malone tonight from David.. =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mike,
    $12 for 30-day turnaround on a wax pack.

p_a,
    thanks again.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    You would lose money by graqding these packs. Tearing them open is the way to go. Especially since the cards came out centered; this is an extremely tough set condition-wise, yet for some reason inexpensive. I mean you have two 2nd year cards of top 10 all time players, an RC of a HOFer, and the last set Topps produced in the 80s. Very underrated in my opinion.

Lee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>mike,
    $12 for 30-day turnaround on a wax pack.

p_a,
    thanks again. >>

For what the packs are worth - even with the stars - as was said - "setting on the wax" - that it kind of steep. But if you plan to keep them and don't care - they will look good in the holder.

Tough call - leaning towards no grading and save the way they are for now.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    it's decent looking set, but not often variety in players in it. It kind of reminds me of todays set, where each one has the same 50-100 guys.

I agree that is undervalued though.

Why did Topps do the East and West thing for the hockey and basketball sets???

How was anyone able to get all the regional issues back in the day???
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!