Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

ATTN JEFFERSON COLLECTORS...NEED A HAND HERE

I have just recently decided to acquire the 2004 Keel & Peace P & D Nickels in PCGS 66 or 67 (have not decided yet which grade). I will be acquiring all of the new nickels as they come out...in of course...the same grade. Here is where I need your help. If three or four Jefferson experts could give me their opinion...it would be much appreciated. Below are raw photos of a 2004 P Keelboat that I ran across (still in mint set cellophane) today. Tough to photograph thru the cellophane...but I managed to do a decent job. This nickel is absolutely stunning. I know nothing about nickels...but I am wondering if this thing has a shot at a 67. I hear that the average grade of these nickles is usually in the 63/64 range. I would be curious to know what you all think. The photo of the reverse looks like tiny scratches on the coin...THEY ARE NOT. The reverse fields are as flawless as the obverse fields...I just couldn't get as good of an angle with the light. Thanks!

Toby

Comments

• FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    It would probably go MS66 with a very small shot at MS67 depending on who is grading it. I dont like the marks on the lower jaw. IMHO, go to the bay of E and pick this coin up for $30 - $50 instead of attempting to make one yourself. There are 140 of these in MS67 today. The coin in your pic is a very nice coin, but MS67's sell almost everyday.

I also have to tell you, without knowing your finanical status, the 2004-P Peace in MS67 goes for the ballpark of $200 - $250 these days. In MS67, it is the big dog of the bunch. The MS68's are selling for approx. $300 - $450, with the 2004-P Peace selling for $1500+(3 known and all locked in Registry Sets).

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is... the 2004 four coin set in PCGS MS67 can probably be bought for less than $400.

I hope this helps!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Steve -

Thanks for your input. THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I didn't even notice the marks on the jaw until you pointed them out! The pricing input that you gave helps tremendously as well. I will most likely be going with MS67's for the set. Which brings up another question, is PCGS going to do a short set like they did for the State Quarter Program????

Can't wait for the new ones to pop out on Monday. It's amazing to me that the 2004 keel and peace OBW's were selling at the mint for just $8.95 and now they are on eBay for $40+. Needless to say, I WILL be picking up about 20 rolls tomorrow when the 2005's are released! Have a great weekend!

Toby
    Who knows... PCGS keeps adding stuff to the Registry, so you never know...

I forsee quite a mad rush on the buffalos Monday... at present, between the two of us, they already have at least 21 sets sold... I hope the mint can handle it.

Just one note to your reply... the Peace rolls are the ones selling for 4X issue price, because they are sold out at the mint... people aren't really selling the Keel boat nickels for much more than issue price yet because the mint increased their mintages (and the mint still sells these rolls today). Also, Coin World stated that the mint is supposed to be changing their issue policies this year and will be selling the buffalos throughout the first 6 months of the year. I think that will mean lower prices this year for these rolls, but I hope I'm wrong about this.

Something else to think about... I believe very few of the MS68's currently in the pop reports came from mint rolls, they all appeared after the release of mint sets... and the pop of MS67's exploded about the same time... either a strange coincidence or the writting is on the wall. You decide.

Glad I could help.

Steve

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • TTT
  • Hey ellewood. I have to concur with FullStepJeffs about the quality of coins out of the rolls. I looked the peace nickels that came out of the mint bags and rolls last year. They were just so much garbage. I seen nice ones in the mint sets, but the nicest ones I have are sitting in the Westward Journey coin sets I bought from the mint. And it is probably cheaper in the long run to buy the nickels graded already at ebay. Get in touch with Carl Winkler at Pinevalley coins. He usually has a P & D set available. Pinevalley@verizon.net is his email address. I have had good luck with him thru ebay.
    Coinfame on ebay also has these coins for sale. Always had great things to say about him.

Also, it looks like CW was wrong about the length of time the mint would be selling the buffalos... really sad they only lasted an hour before being "backordered". Someone must have bought a ton of them early.

I guess I'll be online when the mint sets go on sale.

Steve

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Is the mark in the field of the Keelboat at 2 O'clock on the cello or the coin. If it is the coin then 66 is in the cards for you and no shot at 7. If that is a cello mark then even with the face marks (which I think are probably planchet marks) it has a good shot at 7. I just made a MS68 D keel boat and an MS67 and you coins (with out that field mark) looks close to these coins
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    all of the marks are 100% on the cello. As I said, I think the reverse looks as good as the obverse...I just didn't get as good of a shot when I took the pics. I am getting ready to run out the door for work...but tonight I'll see if I can snap another shot of the rev AFTER I cut it out of the cello/mint set. I've got some other coins to submit so I just may take the gamble!
    well... the way my grading skillz been the past few days... go for it!

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a nice full well centered strike. There are some insignificant marks on the jaw
    and it looks like a minor one by "I" in "AMERICA". While MS-66 may be likely it would
    seem to have a fair chance of MS-67. It can be tough to tell from a picture but this coin
    looks much nicer than what is normally encountered even in mint sets.
    Tempus fugit.