Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Talk about a PSA 10 (OC)

A nice PSA 10, minus the 90/10 L/R centering on the front...

PSA 10?

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Despite the horrible scan, it look fine to me. Are you a collector of this set and know something I'm not seeing? Just curious.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    The left-right centering is hideous, if you look at left border (the area without the vertical chrome lines), it's about 2-3x thicker than the area on the right. Both sides should have an equal "border" area to be considered centered.
  • Options
    What about this one:

Sosa 10?

Think this is a WIWAG reseal?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I saw that as soon as I looked at the card. I think the grader really missed one here.
  • Options
    So you are saying that this is not how all the '95 Bowman Best blue cards were designed and produced? I considered this a full bleed/borderless card and thought maybe all the cards from this set had that same design regarding the left card edge. I will yield to your view since you are a collector of this set and knowledgeable on the issue.
    Thanks.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    The Sosa should not be a 10. On that I agree with both of you.
  • Options

<< <i>What about this one:

Sosa 10?

Think this is a WIWAG reseal? >>

Man! These two cards cant be real PSA graded can they? They look horrible!
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Yes, let's all tell the TRAINED and QUALIFIED professionals how to do their job! image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Hurt, are you suggesting that the graders @ PSA don't make mistakes?

That's what I thought...

You should change your handle to "dabigPSAhonk"... lol
  • Options
    Some people are getting extremely annoying around here.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, let's all tell the TRAINED and QUALIFIED professionals how to do their job! image >>

No offense, but if that Sosa card is a 10 then I am more qualified to work for PSA then the grader who graded it. Its pathetic! And thats an understatement.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

If you enlarge the Sosa and measure,
    you'll find it to be centered just slightly better than 60/40, which qualifies it as a 10.
    Agree it's kind of an ugly looking 10, but thems is the standards.

As for the Guerrero, it's kind of hard to determine centering from that scan on the carpet,
    but looking at these cards, it seems like the card is supposed to have more border on the left than the right :

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Greetings bsfastball,

I'm not up on this issue but from what I can tell the card has about the same centering as the other ones of this particular card listed on eBay.

I think the card was designed to have the picture off centered ???

Again, I don't collect this issue so I might be wrong.

Peter
    Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Hurt, are you suggesting that the graders @ PSA don't make mistakes?

That's what I thought...

You should change your handle to "dabigPSAhonk"... lol >>

No, he should just use a bigger smiley.

(ps: He's our local satirist)
  • Options
    Both of those cards are hideous. I saw the Guerrero yesterday and was going to bring it up. Isn't the seller of the Guerrero the same seller that was accused awhile back on these boards for cracking open the slabs and placing it on his off white carpet to take the pictures to hide the cloud? Someone confirm this if they remember. That Guerrero is nasty. The L/R centering is 80/20. The Sosa's crap too.
  • Options
    I need them to start making those "mistakes" with my submissions!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    They're more likely to be DSL or 4_Sharp_Corners submissions than WIWAG creations. I've bought a few 10's from those guys that were not up to the standard of 9's I already had. For 1990s stuff, they generally submit only if they think it has a shot at PSA 10. A card that comes back a 9 is a losing proposition for them in most cases. But maybe a few less-than-10s are submitted with the rest, as a business strategy, because they know by now that some of those will slip through.

If you're a PSA grader and you're looking at a 100-card stack of the same player from 4SC, and most of them are legitimately 10's, well, maybe a couple of the wrong ones end up in PSA 10 holders. Graders get tired from repetition and can make mistakes. Maybe they know from daily experience who submitted a 100-card stack of Sammy Sosa rookies, even though there's no identifying marks in the grading room. Maybe after looking at 70 or 80 perfect Sosas, they ease off a bit on the rest of the stack, knowing it's from 4SC or DSL and they generally submit the cream of the crop.

That's no comfort to someone who will pay for a 10 and get a 9 (or a poorly centered card that would otherwise be 10). But graders are human and the supply of '80s and '90s unopened material is pretty much endless. The modern-card graders, especially, are gonna screw up once in awhile, looking at hundreds of the same card every day.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I tried my best not to get any on the PSA logo. That's all for you hurt.

• Options
    question for dabighurt,

When I crack and resend a PSA 3 and get back a PSA 4, how do you explain your relentless posts of 100% perfection and absolut undenying perfection you project of PSA?

GG
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>question for dabighurt,

When I crack and resend a PSA 3 and get back a PSA 4, how do you explain your relentless posts of 100% perfection and absolut undenying perfection you project of PSA?

GG >>

They grade over 6 million cards and you want perfection? Sorry, but even trained professionals can be off by a single grade once in a blue moon. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone is taking thebighurt seriously. I think his posts are hilarious and are clearly facetious.
  • Options
    I just skip over or ignore anything he has to say.
  • Options
    I tried my best not to get any on the PSA logo. That's all for you hurt

Knuckles,
    That was so damn funny! I couldn't stop laughing.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I tried my best not to get any on the PSA logo. That's all for you hurt.

image >>

Man! That is great. Thanks for the laugh knuckles.