Home Sports Talk
Options

Speaking of the Hall of Fame

I accidently came across this. I never even heard of him, but why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?

Vern Stephens

Also I never knew that in 1944 there was an all St. Louis World Series, the Cardinals against the Browns. Stephens was on the Browns. In 1949 when he was on the Sox he had 159 RBI's.

Comments

• Options
    >>why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?<<

I guess because he didn't play in N.Y. His stats. are way better than Reese or Rizzuto's.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Bill James wrote about Stephens-Rizzuto in his book the Politics of Glory. Stephens was a heavy drinker, died young and received no Hall of Fame votes when he was eligible. It is somewhat debatable as to whether or not he was better Hall of Fame candidate than his double play partner Bobby Doerr.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurman was an excellent catcher... but is he in the same league as Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey? I don't recall off hand, but I do not think Elston Howard made it into the Hall of Fame but his numbers may not be as persuasive.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    He may get in just yet... you never know. Authors and journalists/the media getting behind a certain player can sometimes help his chances of being considered...you never know is all I'm saying...
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    coinkat- Howard is not in the Hall but your comparison of him to Munson is valid. Howard was eligible to be voted in this year - and he received 6 votes to Munson's 2.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Thurman but I also Like Frank Howard and I don't think it is likely that he will make it even though I still believe he has hit the longest home run in baseball.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.