Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My FIRST bodybag

Just in today. After waiting 2 months I got in 5 "liteside" peices. My first "bodybag" - a 1942 D Washington Quarter that I have had sitting around for about 7 years now. I was expecting an MS-64/65. I got back the orignal flip with a sticker "Cleaned". image

At least with ANACS it would have been slabbed with "Whizzed" above the net grade.

I guess I can't complain though, the other ones all came in a point higher than I expected. image
"Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At least with ANACS it would have been slabbed with "Whizzed" above the net grade. >>

It was whizzed and you didn't notice that? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Actually no. When I look at the coin I can't see any indication at all that it was cleaned. I do all my inspections with a 10x triple corrected loupe. I figure I grade diamonds with it, it should be enough to grade coins as well.

I can't find any of the normal "tell tales" that the coin was cleaned. Hmmm.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the BB but look on it as a learning opportunity.

Look very closely at the coni when it returns. If you still can't see any problems, take the coin and BB along to a dealer with whom you have a good relationship or to a show and ask the opinions of people you respect.

-JamminJ
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, one of those. I feel your pain. I submitted an MS65-66 Buffalo nickel that was bodybagged by PCGS for similar reasons. I haven't scoped it with a loupe, but I'll be darned if I can see any indication of its being cleaned, with my naked eyes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.