Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whose Baseball Rookie Card Will Be Hot?

Also, what is the best card product for modern rookie cards? There are so many.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin
    My favorite is Bowman Chrome. I like auto RC's also.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    bowman, they get the kids as soon as they get drafted. Well I think all the companies do that now, but Bowman usually has better pics.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    This year I am guessing Conor jackson will be a break out. He was invited to spring training and had a great fall league. And he played USA baseball and college ball. Well seasoned 23 or so. Bowman is the way to go.

James
    x
  • Options
    This coming season? Or in the coming years (as with happened to bonds)?

Look at last year to figure which rookie cards get hot. First, adrian beltre. MVP like season and plays for a big market team. Second, johan santana. Cy young season and on a playoff contending team. Lastly, carlos beltran. Playoff exposure. Pujols and ichiro are always hot, so leave them out of the equation.

I am going with adam dunn. I think griff will stay healthy, kearns will play well and dunn will reduce his strikeouts. That equals into a fine season. Also, dallas mcpherson. I truly believe luis terrero will be one of the top players in the majors. Alas, as with victor martinez and travis hafner last season...terrero wont have that hobby mystique that guys like beltran and beltre do.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Justin

You bash modern cards every chance you get and now you want a shortcut to making money?? Get lost, you know nothing because
    you think it is garbage...well until you want to make a buck. yes this is the time to make money, but only if you have done your homework
    and are smart. No one here is going to give up that info for you.

JS
  • Options
    joestalin, hey dipshot, I don't collect modern crapola. I only asked the question because I wanted to see what Rookie was hot and wanted to see how modern collectors would respond. I forgot you are one of them and I am glad you had time to respond since you are so busy working on your shrink doctor PhD.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    WALLY JOYNER WALLY JOYNER WALLY JOYNER
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Barry Bonds

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    wa wa wa...Im so lost, there are so many products, will someone hold my hand and tell me what to buy now because I want to
    make some money

please please please......

what a baby

JS
  • Options
    I would say, load up on Bart Giamatti now. Before it's too late.

"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I hear that Babe Ruth fella is selling well...(he's no Wally Joyner though)

edited:
    opps..I meant to say WALLY JOYNER.

• Options
    joestalin, BWHAAAAAAA
  • Options
    I'm watching Hanley Ramirez. SS coming up thru the Red Sox organization. they're hoping he'll start in 2006. This kid is the reason Nomar Garciaparra, Pokie Reese, Orlando Cabreara and Edgar Renteria will all be ex Red Sox short stops next year.

shhhhh keep it quiet.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options

<< <i>Edgar Renteria will all be ex Red Sox short stops next year. >>

renteria signed a 4 year, 40 mil deal. i doubt that ramirez will unseat a player making that kind of money after only one season.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I hear Kevin Maas is a real blue-chipper. image
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I've been watching those Brien Taylor Topps Autos on ebay. image

Seriously though, I know Felix Hernandez, Hanley Ramirez, Conor Jackson and Lastings Milledge are all doing well right now, but then the hobby is reflecting it in their prices.
  • Options
    yea justin!! its a secret!!!! PUHLEASE!!!! My suggestioin is to simply review the total number of rookies and their cards and current prices starting a few years ago, then look at the odds. But... somebody has to win, may as well be you right?! Don't forget, you have to not only pick the right player, but also the right card from the right set, subset, parallel, refractor parallel, auto, blue, red, hot pink, etc.... AND its gotta grade at a 10 too. Not bashing modern, but realize the odds before you start with the wishful thinking. I'm going back under my vintage blankie now...

Good luck!!!!! REALLY!!!!

GG
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Your answer lies in which young player uses the most steroids.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    goudeygold - all you have to pick is the right player, and a true rookie card of that player, to make money. Yes, some of a hot player's cards will go up more than others, but you don't have some going up and others going down on the same player over any significant span of time (with the exception of the new release bump that every product has for 1 to 2 weeks).

My guesses for the season:
    Hot rookie player: Dallas McPherson (the Angels dumped Troy Glaus to hand him the 3B job, and he's a serious slugger)
    Hot 2005 rookie card: Norihiro Nakamura (no cards yet in the U.S., but he was a repeat All-Star in Japan, and he may be the Dodgers starting 3B by opening day)
    Hot rookie card (not a 2005 card, and not a 2005 rookie): Carlos Lee (Milwaukee is a much more slugger-friendly park than Comiskey - expect a 40+ HR season out of him)

For spring training, every highly touted rookie who is having a halfway decent camp will see his cards go up for a few weeks. During the season, every player in the minors who gets promoted to a higher minor league or to the majors will see his cards go up for a few weeks.
    Catching these temporary waves requires a lot of detailed attention to what's happening.
    If you're collecting to keep, scout the players yourself, and pick a few you like, and then focus on true rookie cards of those players that have the most to offer (auto, GU, serial #, expensive set). I picked one last year, and focused on his unnumbered '02 Prospect Premieres autographed card. It was Khalil Greene, so I'm doing all right should I choose to sell.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    renteria signed a 4 year, 40 mil deal. i doubt that ramirez will unseat a player making that kind of money after only one season.

He'll be trade bait for a starting pitcher to fill the holes left by Wakefield and Wells leaving after 05.

Guarantee Hanley Ramirez = Red Sox SS 06

JMO Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options

<< <i>He'll be trade bait for a starting pitcher to fill the holes left by Wakefield and Wells leaving after 05. >>

Cant see that happening. The red sox are spend thrifts...assuming wells finally retires and wakefield leaves, the sox will sign a pitcher. Now, there arent a whole lot of great starters on the market next off-season (assuming hudson and sheets sign). If thats the case, ramirez will be the one traded away to get a starting pitcher from a low market team (see oakland trading hudson for meyer and trading mulder for haren).
  • Options

<< <i>Hot rookie card (not a 2005 card, and not a 2005 rookie): Carlos Lee (Milwaukee is a much more slugger-friendly park than Comiskey - expect a 40+ HR season out of him) >>

Dont see this. The hobby likes players from big markets and who play and shine in the playoffs. The brewers are not in a big market and they will not likely make the playoffs this season. I do think lee will put up good numbers this coming season, but unless he contends for the MVP like beltre did last year (and dont compare beltre to lee hobbywise...they dont compare with beltre's hype the last 4-5 seasons and playing in LA) or breaks some sort of record. Lee will likely follow the likes of brian giles, lance berkman, magglio ordonez, richie sexson....great numbers, but not great hobby following.

Vlad had an MVP season. But, his rookie didnt skyrocket like beltran's or beltre's. Why? The angels is not a team that has carried a hotbed of hobby favorites. Also, he plays in a market that has to contend with the dodgers. If Vlad was in a dodgers uni and beltre was in a angels uni....beltre will see a modest increase in his rookie card value...while vlad will see an incredible increase in his rookie card value.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I think Vlad's lack of price increase is due to the fact that his RCs were already high, while Beltran was a breakout and Beltre had been dormant for years waiting for him to finally have a season like that. But in neither case did they reach the heights of Vlad's Bowman's Best, or even Bowman, cards. And the Angels have had some big RCs in the recent past. That pitcher in 2002 (can't remember his name) become real hot, his chrome RCs and autos were like gold. And I'm still waiting for Glaus's Leaf RC to drop to somewhere near 1998 levels. Seattle isn't a big market team, either, and Ichiro, A-Rod and Griffey did OK there. But I'm not holding my breath for Carlos Lee RCs to take off, either. The old RCs I'm hoping for movement on are Pat Burrell's. I think he's in a contract year, so a big push will mean they will finally be saleable again.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Dallas McPherson: In the minds of the Angels he was worth getting rid of Troy Glaus. Bill Stoneman is about as tight as a drum when it comes to getting rid of players. He is not going to have to come in and light the world on fire. The Angels project him at #6 in their lineup which should relieve some of the pressure of the kid, and he was the first position player into camp for the Angels this year. He arrived when pitchers and catchers reported to get some early work in.

As for hobby interest. The Angels have traditionally lagged the Dodgers for the hearts of Southern California Baseball fans, and while that may not change in the short term. The market is huge out here, the Dodgers are pissing off baseball fans with their stupid moves (not signing Beltre, etc.), and the Angels have sold over 25,000 season tickets this year. We had over 43 sellouts last year, and there are a ton of kids at the park, which is great for interest. Angels stuff is flying of the shelfs here in Orange County, and if McPherson has a halfway decent year his stuff is going to skyrocket. I have been a long-suffering Angel fan, and this has been amazing to see the transformation since they won the series. McPherson's stuff has been real hot, and if he challenges for the ROY, look out.

I collect 1977 Topps Baseball PSA 9
    60's and 70's Baseball HOFers PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am still banking on my Joe Charbaneau rookie cards!

I have no clue which young players are going to be good this year but I hope he's a Dodger!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sexson, Giles, Berkman, Ordonez, et al. all had periods where their cards shot up (Giles less so than the others). Demand was soft on each of them, however, so once they dropped off the fantasy baseball hot list, they dropped off the collectors' hot list. If you bought each of them at the right time, and then sold at the right time, you made significant money.
    IMO, the best way to make money on rookie cards that have been out for a few years is to figure out which $1 card has the best chance of turning quickly into a $5 card, not which $20 card has the best chance of turning quickly into a $50 card.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.