Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spink? Welcome to the 21st Century . . .

. . . . it looks like more pricey players on the Bay of EEEEEEE!

Lockdales (see the CCI listings) joins American Heritage and NEN in SLAB-O-RAMA......

Are the days of Olde slipping away on the eBay!!

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Appears so.image Is CCI their "native" slabber? If not, who is?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Too pricey for my budget, but there's nothing as beautiful as those old red coppers! image

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I guess they use the CCI thingy in their heading so you'll know it's them.....not "native", but PCGS & NGC certs, mostly.

Seems these guys were discussed a few months ago on this forum. Wybrit may have sold them a coin that they 'flipped'. image

Lockdales "Investment" arm
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lockdales' opening bids are way too high IMO. Interesting to see if they get any bids.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Maybe they went to the Wybrit School of Valuation?? image

I wonder if anyone there is a Chelsea fan, too? You know, optimistic types!!!! image
  • Options
    I requested to be removed from Lockdale's mailing list when they launched Certified Coin Investments. The tone of the pages didn't sit right with me.

Edit: Can't get the URL to work: http://www.certifiedgbcoins.com/CCI/Investment.htm
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    With all due respect to that seller, they have a 1793 Guinea that is graded PCGS AU-58 and they are asking....hold on to your socks....£604image

That is (or not very long ago was) crazy money for a common date slider Guinea!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Their a bit "pricey" are they not?
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    I seem to be selling more and more PCGS slabs to the UK over the last few months and the bidders are outbidding US buyers. They like the grading and verification.
    Lockdales prices are very high! but I have made some good buys at their auctions.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Very high? The starting prices are appalling, at least to me. $211 for a 1906 sixpence NGC MS64? That's what I got in total for three sixpences I sold a few months ago, 1903 ngc ms63, 1909 ngc ms64 and key date 1904 ngc ms63.image Here's the NGC section.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    It's sad but they seem to sell a lot of coins on their website. It's not hard to tell who they honest dealers are,
    most of the British dealers I've seen handling slabbed coins also gave their opinion on the coins grade in the
    British standard.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WELL, this was an education... we need to see what sells here.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Well, at least NEN is not totally out of the ball park with their offers. I should know as James bagged me on a few nice pieces on the auction floor last June in LB.

The kicker is, they mark them up 30%+ when they go on their site and they go BYE-BYE usually very fast. Even the pricey stuff in Bahston is still being snapped up; witness the recent sale of the 1839 sovereign (listed at $17500 or so, but I suspect consumatted around $15,000 or so) and the 1845 crown (NGC MS62 @$3500 or so).

eBay UK site? image I've got a few tanners, and such.....maybe I'll triple my dosh on 'em!!! image

Nah!

But, I'll let my '45 crown go for £50,000. image
  • Options
    I realize that many here focus on British collections - and the prices for British coinage has been what I considered too high for quite some time. But if you haven't noticed yet, you better start looking because the prices for many types of world coinage in higher grades has been climbing steadily for the past year.

Now I pay particular attention to world gold since that's what I collect the most. And coins that I used to buy, a year ago or less, for $150 now routinely sell for $300 and up. Coins in the $750 range have jumped to $1500 + in the past 6 months alone. And the story of increases goes on as you move into the higher values. And it is showing no signs of slowing down.

The same can be said of higher grade silver coinage as well. Granted - it tends to be only with more popular types, so far. But I have watched prices for Spanish colonial in pretty much all grades triple in the past 2 years. The same story with Dutch and French silver.

The darkside has become "noticed" - and it appears this attention is growing.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The prices speak for themselves.

While I am unwilling to part with my 1869 penny, hence the price, Lockdales is not in the business of keeping coins from moving. Therefore, they must be moving coins at these prices.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or are they accepting offers which are significantly lower?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Given the prices for PCGS realized at Heritage, I have my doubts, but that's the only clue I have about it. Maybe Andy Bruce can shed some light on it.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While British coins have done well, I do not think it is fair or completely accurate to say they are now overvalued. I still think each coin and series needs to be looked at independently. High end original coins are not as easy to find as most collectors think...on either side of the pond. TPG may have a way to go across the Pond, but it is less likely that problematic coins will make into a slab which makes TPG more appealing for higher end coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Given the prices for PCGS realized at Heritage, I have my doubts, but that's the only clue I have about it. Maybe Andy Bruce can shed some light on it. >>

Hi Wybrit

The prices are clearly at the top end, and in the high MS grades way above book price.

I like the philosophy behind this investment slabbed coin venture - i.e. that it opens up the market to non coin experts as a means of investment as has happened in the US. However what I feel is rather more dubious is the prices that they charge. We sold them the 1887 halfpenny, which is a fantastic example, for £85. It now lists on the site for £250 and this has been reduced from over £300.

In my opinion the coin is worth no more than £100 whatever its condition. If slabbing becomes popular within the UK market, then maybe one day market forces will push MS 65 to be worth 3 time Unc prices. However what CCI seem to have done is jump straight in and claim that this is what they are worth now, which at the moment at least is false.

Cheers

Andy
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    This is sort of like when US dealers started leaping into toned world coins, expecting to automatically reap the markups seen on US coins. Spinks appears to be trying to lead the market at least. Honestly, I hope it doesn't take off any better than the toned world coins. If they ever achieve those kinds of multiples, the world coin market will begin going the way of the US coin market.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    You know Mark,

it is my understanding that (unfortunately) the Greek market is already going this way. During the past two years, slabs have become the object of desire, (not only for new and expensive purchases,people submit all sorts of crappy coins as they want their collection slabbed, half of them usually come back BBed), they sell consistently higher than raw coins ,but worse than most, people are already in the resubmitting game. From Anacs (considered very tough and for a reason) to NGC and from NGC again to NGC, although theoretically, there's no difference in price between a 63 and a 64.Yearsets (from the 1970s and 80s) that sell for $20-$30 in choice/gem unc (all 7 coins), are broken up and submitted too,it is plainly ridiculous. That and the ever-increasing prices, I think many Darksiders who happened to sell one or more Greek coins can confirm that, as they were pleasantly surprised to see their coins realize 3 and 4 times their Krause value, that has become totally insignificant. No wonder I'm switching to my off collecting mood, when my primary area has become inaccessible for me and there's absolutely no fun anymore.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3