Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this Authentic?

Just curious--I see that it was declared altered, but I was wondering if the card is genuine.

joe
A thousand years is only a second in the author's imagination.

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    It's real.. Someone must have tried fixing it up though to get a better grade hence it being labeled as being altered by PSA.
  • Options
    Thanks. I thought it was real too. Would be nice to own even if it was altered...I mean it IS a Dimaggio rookie card.
  • Options
    The problem is though where did that flip come from?? Does it belong to that card, I thought cards like this PSA will slab and grade them as authentic. I kinda get an uneasy feeling about this auction.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem is though where did that flip come from?? Does it belong to that card, I thought cards like this PSA will slab and grade them as authentic. I kinda get an uneasy feeling about this auction. >>

That's the sticker PSA puts on your card saver when they return it to you unholdered. I've had a few returned unslabbed as trimmed or altered and they are always returned in their card saver with that sticker on it. But, true enough, you don't know that it was this Dimaggio that was in that card saver. To me, it looks like the bottom reverse was "rebuilt".
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    I actually have a similar situation I wanted input on...

I just back my 1952 Bowman #1 Yogi Berra from PSA...evidence of trimming. Really ticked me off that i didn't catch it myself. It was on Ebay about a year ago, I was high bidder but reserve wasn't met. Seller looked legit too...he contacted me and we made a deal and I bought it. So, there isn't really a way to go back after him about it.

The question is what can I do with the card...I would like to re-coup some of my money, but it might not be possible. I thought about putting it on Ebay, being 100% truthful like the Dimaggio card, but as was just said, people might think about if that is the actual card that was "trimmed" you are offering for auction. Also, I don't want some scumbag to buy it get it holdered by some second rate grading company and rip off another collector. That is what we all here are trying to stop!

Any ideas...I guess I have the chance to tear up a 1952 Bowman card into tiny pieces as a last resort...would make for a great post picture!!
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    the honest thing would be to list it on ebay as trimmed card.

I saw seller write trimmed on the back of a 1935 National Chicle #1 Dutch Clark card. He didn't want someone else to get ripped off down the road. I guess you could do the same thing here, write on the back, but I am always against more damage to a card.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    I understand what you guys are saying. I've just always wanted an authentic Dimaggio...as well as a Mantle 1951. I'm not looking to get it slabbed or anything, just want the glory of owning one, you know. And buying one altered, if it will save me cash, is the road to go. End of story.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    1909 T206 Ty Cobb #71 (Bat away from shoulder)

From the same seller.. "Recolored"
  • Options

<< <i>I actually have a similar situation I wanted input on...

I just back my 1952 Bowman #1 Yogi Berra from PSA...evidence of trimming. Really ticked me off that i didn't catch it myself. It was on Ebay about a year ago, I was high bidder but reserve wasn't met. Seller looked legit too...he contacted me and we made a deal and I bought it. So, there isn't really a way to go back after him about it.

The question is what can I do with the card...I would like to re-coup some of my money, but it might not be possible. I thought about putting it on Ebay, being 100% truthful like the Dimaggio card, but as was just said, people might think about if that is the actual card that was "trimmed" you are offering for auction. Also, I don't want some scumbag to buy it get it holdered by some second rate grading company and rip off another collector. That is what we all here are trying to stop!

Any ideas...I guess I have the chance to tear up a 1952 Bowman card into tiny pieces as a last resort...would make for a great post picture!! >>

It may come back in a PRO holder, thereby adding the number of people that will get ripped off.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.