Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The feel of vintage cards

I've been going through my sell pile of low- to mid-grade cards of the 1950s and 1960s and got to thinking about how nice it is to *feel* the cards. I have been doing the same thing for my sets in putting the raws in ultra-pro sheets, albeit more gingerly. There is something about how these old cards feel to the touch - the thickness of the cardboard, the smoothness (in some case) of the surface, the rough feel of the backs, etc. It harkens back to the days when we were kids opening up packs and racks, eager to see what we got. The feel of plastic is not the same, sadly, but I understand why. I am thankful that there will always be hoards of raw vintage cards so we won't forget what they feel like.

Comments

• Options
    I'm getting wood. Bucman - you should write a romance novela.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Steve

Your post reminded me of a thread from a while ago. It's all about handling and sniffing the old cardboard.
    Card Sniffers Only.

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Great topic. Since joining PSA 14 months ago, my strategy has evolved into getting as many of my nice raw cards graded as I can afford. If I have some key star cards graded from small sets then I'll register and build a graded set. But I always continue to collect vg-ex cards to replace those graded ones in raw binder sets. It's great fun to go through and feeling those raw lower grade cards without having to worry about damaging them! Personally, I think a decently centered vg/ex raw set is beautiful, even with creases.
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...