Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Picked up a pop 1 1945-P 10c in NGC 61FB for too much money at $1,840! UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
NGC pop 1 / PCGS none.

Never mind that there are 123 finer!!!!!image

It is the 1945-P NGC MS-61 FB dime. Working on a grading set of these. Have them from 60 through 67FB except the MS-60FB and MS-66FB but also wonder if there are any in AU.

UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB TO PCGS! Now the PCGS pop is 1 in this grade and none lower!

Note that it is marginally off-center which makes the FB designation more possible and also less valuable market grade wise.

imageimageimage
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Nice bands!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

So you were the one that won it -- I was wondering who was bidding all this $$ for this dime.

Did you know you could've gotten an nice MS63FB Anacs one off of eBay for $1,500 just a few days ago? Although that dealer bought it off of Teletrade a month and a half ago for $1,210. I know 'cause I was bidding on it image

• Options
    mercury: My wife really screwed this one up for me. I told her I really wanted the MS-61 and was willing to pay big bucks (meaning $1000). She thought I meant under $2000!

Just to give you an idea of the craziness, I paid $340 for a gorgeous PCGS MS-62FB from a Bowers and Merena auction about 5 years ago.

My wife deadpans and says well, I can call it dollar cost averaging. image
  • Options
    Dollar cost averaging -- that's funny image

All kidding aside, though, any interest in selling or trading for the 62FB PCGS one? I need to fill that hole in my set.

PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE image

BTW -- here's what I picked up image

My LB Win
  • Options
    Merc:

My holdings for my grading set are as follows:

MS-67FB NGC $11,000 (real old NGC holder) being sold at Heritage Pre-ANA in LA Summer 2009
    MS-66FB still need
    MS-65FB PCGS $5,900 and $6900 (sold the 2nd one)
    MS-64FB PCGS $1.650
    MS-63FB PCGS $ 700
    MS-62FB PCGS $ 340
    MS-61FB NGC/PCGS $1,840
    MS-60FB WANTED
    AU-58FB WANTED

This means I need a few myself to complete my set.
  • Options
    Mike,
    I don't think you will see any of Oreville's 45p fb dimes on the market
    for a very long time, I remember talking with him several years ago about the 45p fb dimes
    and his grading set. looks like it is getting closer to complete, the 66fb should
    show up sooner or later as for the bottom to , that may take some time
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Oreville,
    the reverse of that one looks really nice, let me know what you think
    after you get it in hand
    thanks
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville,

I was thinking the same thing - that 61FB is really nice - I wonder if it isn't a grade higher.....congrat's I actually wondered too who'd purchase a lowly 45-P in 61 imageimage

One of these days I'd love to see that graded set~~~~~~~~

your wife and my wife would make a hell of a teamimage

Mike, Nice 20-S actually looks like a pretty decent 64FB

Marc
  • Options

Boy those 20-S FB's are hard to come by -- nice ones anyway image

The 65FB's are pricey so I've been trying to find a nice 64FB for now. I'm actually shocked I won this coin (I won 5 out 25 I was bidding on) -- and won it by the skin of my nose (the next bid would have beat me).

When I get it in hand I'll take better pictures of it and post -- from their pictures, though, it looks pretty good image
  • Options
    My wife received the 1945-P dime in FB MS-61 and was somewhat disappointed. It certainly looks to a full MS-62/63FB which screws up my trying to do a legitimate grading set.

The coin was extremely and heavily striated with all kinds of polishing marks. There appears to be some barey discernable very light scratches on the obverse but need to examine them further. If they are really scratches then I will feel a little better about the accuracy of the grade. It would still be a MS-62FB in that case.

The coin is indeed very PQ looking in person.

If I could own MS-61FB coins looking like this I would buy them all.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville - Why are you building a grading set? Does it bother you that all of the coins in the set are not graded by the same TPG?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I think I see where you're going, Andy. Your logic makes sense, if I understand it correctly, that in order to have a consistent grading set that it should probably be graded by one TPG.
  • Options
    I picked up a ANA slab 1941-D MS65FSB. Has a blue color to it.
  • Options
    Andy: My aim is to indeed have a double grading set of both PCGS and NGC in the major grades at the very least. 60-63-65-67. Until then I have to work with what I have been able to locate.

Trying to fill in with both services as I go along. It will take me another 10 years to complete it. Already have been working on it since 1987.

Believe me, the 60-62 grades are harder to find than the 63 and up grades!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Oreville, quick question for you??

How much could a 45-P FB be broadstruck before the TPG's call it an error coin?

I saw a nice 45-P with FB (raw) at a show today...it's 63+ coin (with a small scratch on the obverse so I'd say it would grade 60-61) but it was broadstruck pretty good. Without a picture, imagine a Merc and imagine the right edge (3:00PM) ending where the rim would usually be. I'm not an error guy but I'd say that the coin was 7%-10% broadstruck.

Anyway, if slabbed by PCGS would this be an error coin or a regular coin with FB?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1945 Broad struck Merc than is unc and still is not FB.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mercurydimeguy: Based on prior precedent the answer is an absolute yes. But it would be both a FB as well as an error.

These pictures should be helpful as both PCGS and NGC previously slabbed broadstrucked 1945 as FB. Both of these coins sold at heritage in different years.
    Also see the Heritage commentary regarding the PCGS FB dime

Description
    1945 10C --Broadstruck Out of Collar--MS62 Full Bands PCGS. In a conversation on the bourse floor of the 1977 ANA in Atlanta, Harold Kritzman told me (MVW) that the only deeply split 1945-P Dimes he had ever seen were on off-center coins. While this coin is not off-center, the same principle applies. The planchet was allowed to expand since there was no collar. As a result, details in the center are unusually well defined. This piece shows the viewer what a 1945-P would look like if it had been produced as in previous years. Of course, to achieve this "look" the actual production method has to be different than a normally struck 1945-P. The bright mint luster is accented by a light accent of golden-brown peripheral toning.
    The Harold and Jan P. Kritzman Collection.
  • Options
    The one I saw today was the twin brother of that NGC picture.

How are these priced -- like error coins or like 45-P FB coins? Curious 'cause I don't know how to price it and thus don't know if the guy is asking a fair price.

Any advice? image
  • Options
    mercurydimeguy: They are graded and priced as FB dimes these days. Here is a perfect example of market grading. The PCGS MS-62 FB dime shown below is of a MS-64 quality but was "market graded" DOWN to a MS-62 since the broadstruck coin is indeed worth less. This is the opposite effect of market grading PQ coins as higher graded coins than the technical standard!!!!!!!!

If you have a MS-61 quality coin inclusive of the light scratch but not inclusive of the broadstrike then it will most likely be reduced to MS-60 FB grade by PCGS which has a probably market value of around $500 give or take. But do note that PCGS has never graded any 1945 FB dime below MS-62FB.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS MS-62 FB dime shown below is of a MS-64 quality but was "market graded" DOWN to a MS-62 since the broadstruck coin is indeed worth less.

Oreville - I very highly doubt that PCGS thinks like that. More likely, you missed something on the coin, or maybe the PCGS finalizer had a hangover. But since I don't expect you to accept my opinion as fact, try asking HRH.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEureka: I should have put my usual JMHO on my last post.

Indeed all of this are our opinions but certainly is a reasonable question to ask of HRH. I will do so.

Good suggestion.
  • Options
    So Oreville, if I'm reading this right, you're married (great!) AND your wife also is a collector!?!

WOW - and she's in to the FB's to boot!!!!

Best of luck always! image

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB TO PCGS! Now the PCGS pop is 1 in this grade and none lower!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB TO PCGS! Now the PCGS pop is 1 in this grade and none lower! >>

So now does it count for both the PCGS and NGC grading sets? lol
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    << UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB TO PCGS! Now the PCGS pop is 1 in this grade and none lower! >>

And youre telling me they dont look at the holders before they grade a crossover? Very hard to believe both companies graded that coin MS-61.
  • Options

<< <i><< UPDATE: IT CROSSED AT MS-61FB TO PCGS! Now the PCGS pop is 1 in this grade and none lower! >>

And youre telling me they dont look at the holders before they grade a crossover? Very hard to believe both companies graded that coin MS-61. >>

I am not following you. Of course the TPG have to look at the holders before they grade a crossover. They cannot bust them open until they are satisfied that it meets the grade specified by the submitter.

In my case, I allowed PCGS to grade the coin as low as MS-60FB which was what I was expecting from PCGS but naturally felt it was a cinch for a 61FB as it is pleasing to the eye for the grade.