Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

SSP: Silver Denarius of Brutus, Caesar's assassin

I am going to be listing this coin on eBay Thursday at 10pm EST and wanted all of you to have a heads-up. I am starting it at ONE CENT with no reserve. The auction text is as follows:

"DENARIUS OF M. JUNIUS BRUTUS
ONE OF JULIUS CAESAR'S ASSASSINS

This auction is for the ancient Roman Denarius pictured below. This interesting two-headed coin was issued by M. Junius Brutus in 54 BC. The obverse shows L. Junius Brutus and the reverse shows C. Servilius Ahala, both of whom were famous ancestors of Brutus.

This coin has been authenticated and graded by ICG, the only major grading service that grades ancient coins. This coin has a very pleasing medium grey color and overall exceptional eye appeal. They have assigned it a grade of EF-45 which makes this one of the finest examples of this type to be offered for public sale in several years.

On 15 March 44 BC, a group of Roman Senators led by Brutus attacked Julius Caesar. Caesar, who had been a friend to Brutus was shocked to see him among the group of assassins and yelled out "Et tu Brute" which translates "You too Brutus?" Brutus believed that his role in the assassination of Caesar would preserve the Roman Republic and that he would be hailed as a hero, but this turned out not to be the case. Brutus became one of the most hated men in Rome and was forced to flee. He took his own life in October of 42 BC.

REFERENCE: In "Roman Coins and their Values" 2000 (Millennium) Edition this coin is listed as SR-398, in older editions it is listed as SR-263. The value given for the grade EF in the 2000 (Millennium) Edition of Sear is £450 which is about $855. "

imageimage

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this coin in person. It is awesome. I'm bidding on it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have also listed this coin, it will start at 10:15pm EST:

"Bronze As of Nero

This auction is for the ancient Roman As pictured below. This historic coin was issued by the Emperor Nero at the Rome Mint in AD 65. The obverse shows a bust of Nero facing left and the reverse shows a Victory moving left holding a shield inscribed "SPQR."

This coin has been authentticated and graded by ICG, the only major grading service that grades ancient coins. This coin has a very pleasing medium brown color and overall superb eye appeal. They have assigned it a grade of F-12 which makes it a solid collectable coin.

Nero was famed for his brutal treatment of Christians, the upper-class of Rome and his own family. He murdered his mother in AD 59 and his pregnant wife in AD 65, the year this coin was minted. Nero was also blamed for the Great Fire of AD 64 in which he is said to have "fiddled while Rome burned." In AD 68 Nero was declared an enemy of Rome and fled, when all hope was lost, he took his own life.

REFERENCE: In "Roman Coins and their Values" 2000 (Millennium) Edition this coin is listed as SR-1976. "

imageimage

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Cool!!image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Nice Brutus. I'll be watching. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Brutus. I'll be watching. image >>

With a start of one cent, I hope you'll do more than watch Josh!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Brutus. I'll be watching. image >>

With a start of one cent, I hope you'll do more than watch Josh!image >>

Well, if you insist. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ttt

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ttt for the last tttime.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com