Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buyer wants to pay via Western Union Money transfer payments

Do I have to worry about Western Union Money transfer payments? I sold an item worth $300. The buyer is from switzerland. I told the buyer that I don not accept paypal for that auction (near my limit and cannot even accept international payments) and I don't actually sell outside the US as stated on the auction. I told him I will accept payment through bidpay.com. He emailed back and told me bidpay does not accept mastercard (only amex and visa) and said he will send send a western union money transfer. I inquire with western union how to go about and also about fraud and stuff like that. Western UnionCustomer rep said once I get the money from the western Union agent it's mine after filling out information about the transaction.

Anybody got paid with western union money transfer? Also is there a way to know how much he's really going to send. Do I have to be careful here with something like fraud or chargeback. I also told him he needs to give me the details of the transaction (like what the customer rep told me) so that I can inquire with the Western Union agent in the area.

What worries me is the buyers feedback. ( his neg is due to NPBs).

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I've heard that western union payments are not recommended...not sure exactly why, but remember reading that.
  • Options
    I wouldn't accept it. Wire transfers are just bad news period!
    If he wants to pay with Western Union, why doesn't he just go
    to Bidpay.com (western union operated) and issue a money order
    there? It's like purchasing a money order online and they'll send
    you the MO.
  • Options
    I went to check the bidpay.com site and they actually do not accept mastercard. I don't know why they don't accept mastercard.

what's else the bad thing in western union money transfer?

before I emailed him to say ok for money transfer I called Western Union Cust rep. I asked about money transfer and if there's any danger of fraud. He told me the buyer have to give me details about the transfer information and have to fill out a form at one their western union agent and he said "once you get the money it's yours". So I told him that that means when I actually get the money is the only time I sent the item. He said yes. Now I'm confused.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    I have only received two payments by Western Union and both times it was from people bidding from Europe last minute without asking if it was ok to bid(I state in my auctions no intl. bidders but ok it if they ask and have proper feedback). Something about being less computer skilled or something but they wanted to go to a local WU money order outlet and pay a fee to send me the money( I take intl Paypal)? Its easy on your part you just tell them where(receiving outlet) you want the money sent( they are all over the place like gas stations). After they send the money and send you an email you go to the local pick up and they will have a record of it and you either accept it or not. You will have to show Id and you get your money in cash. make sure you go to the USPS website/ofc and find out shipping regs. and get a proper customs declarations and shipping options prices and del. time frames. Insurance is really messed up or not even offered for certain countries/postage options. I hope this helps, last time was about a year ago for me and it is a learning experience that takes a little more time. If the auction has already closed you could get a neg no matter what so at least get the money.

Reminds me of the intl. phone call I had with a buyer from Spain who did not speak English and her friend who was suppose to talk spoke only a little. Once I got the message through to them that the Ouija board that they won for $25 would cost $40+ to ship and no I would not send it COD we had very little to talk about. I have found out from Spain, Greece, Japan, Germany and Great Britian that low feedback bidder overseas do not return negs like North Americans.

Jim
    Buy anything for cheap and sell for more.
  • Options

<< <i>I have only received two payments by Western Union and both times it was from people bidding from Europe last minute without asking if it was ok to bid(I state in my auctions no intl. bidders but ok it if they ask and have proper feedback). Something about being less computer skilled or something but they wanted to go to a local WU money order outlet and pay a fee to send me the money( I take intl Paypal)? Its easy on your part you just tell them where(receiving outlet) you want the money sent( they are all over the place like gas stations). After they send the money and send you an email you go to the local pick up and they will have a record of it and you either accept it or not. You will have to show Id and you get your money in cash. make sure you go to the USPS website/ofc and find out shipping regs. and get a proper customs declarations and shipping options prices and del. time frames. Insurance is really messed up or not even offered for certain countries/postage options. I hope this helps, last time was about a year ago for me and it is a learning experience that takes a little more time. If the auction has already closed you could get a neg no matter what so at least get the money.

Reminds me of the intl. phone call I had with a buyer from Spain who did not speak English and her friend who was suppose to talk spoke only a little. Once I got the message through to them that the Ouija board that they won for $25 would cost $40+ to ship and no I would not send it COD we had very little to talk about. I have found out from Spain, Greece, Japan, Germany and Great Britian that low feedback bidder overseas do not return negs like North Americans.

Jim >>

Yeah you're right. The buyer has 3 NPBs from 2 negs diff seller and he didn't even retalliate with negative FBs.

Am I safe to receive that money transfer from western union (If he pays)?

Is there a way to know how much he will be actually sending me before I accept that payment?

I was checking the USPS site about global priority (I luckily got 1 box of GPM) and stated that if less than 16 oz I don't have to use custom form.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ebay frowns on western union cuz it competes with paypal. When you go to p/u your money you will be told the amt your signing for. if it is not the agreed upon amt simply deny it. Western Union is a very reputable company. I would not worry.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    In the future set your auctions so that bidders from countries you do not ship to can not bid on your items. this is an option on ebay.
  • Options
    I've accepted money through paypal a few times. Never been jipped but it is a hassle that you dont need go to through if you filter who can buy and what means of payment they can use image.

Ryan
    Ryan
  • Options

<< <i>In the future set your auctions so that bidders from countries you do not ship to can not bid on your items. this is an option on ebay. >>

I changed the option. thanks.
    I didn't know I still have to check the box there. I thought if you click on ship to US only on the sell page its already blocked.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Snowball,

Why do the strange things happen to you? I recall a number of incidents with weird customers. Hope this works well with you. Let us know if everything goes well and that you got the proper amount.

Europeans should not cause us problems since they have reliable postal service and their technology is on par with ours. However, reality reveals that it is a hassle to deal with Europe for some reason. Why they like paying by western union beats me. Why don't they carry both a visa and mastercard. When I go to Germany, I keep telling the Germans that a credit card is an excellent tool and has consumer protection. Some catch on, others think its a gimmick.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Western union worked great for me, from a customer in Slovenia. He sent me a Western Union ID # through email, the $ amount and a question that I was given the answer to (his dog's name or something). I filled out the form with the info at my local supermarket and after a couple computer entries by the service desk clerk I had my money in hand. Went to the PO and shipped it via Airmail, he had it in 4 days!
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I've accepted Western Union Money Orders through Bidpay.com from overseas buyers. No problems with that. Western Union mails you a money order direct from themselves, so you don't have to worry about a fake MO. I started using after being scammed by a buyer from Italy through Paypal.
  • Options
    I just block all out of USA people. Sometimes it probably cost me money, but not enough to offset these types of problems.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    I haven't heard from him since I replied about the money transfer. 50/50 chance his going to pay. Buyer has 5 FBs w/ 2 negs due to NPB.

DG,
    Yeah strange things happens to me.

Southsider,
    I heard it's scary to accept foreign money order even drawn from US banks. Heard it takes more than a month for the bank to detect counterfeit money order and cashier's check.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Southsider,
    I heard it's scary to accept foreign money order even drawn from US banks. Heard it takes more than a month for the bank to detect counterfeit money order and cashier's check. >>

It's not actually sent by the buyer. The buyer goes to Bidpay.com and pays with a credit card. Western Union processes the card and then sends you a Money Order for the amount. I also wouldn't accept a foreign or US money order from a foreign buyer. The money order comes directly from Western Union.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard that western union payments are not recommended...not sure exactly why, but remember reading that. >>

It's not Western Union payments that are not recommended, it's other 3rd party transfers or escrow services. If you use a reputable company like Western Union, as detailed here, you should be fine.

Tabe
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Western Union payment isn't recommended - for the buyer. It is very safe for the seller - as others have stated, you don't ship the item until you have picked up your money.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I sold a card to a guy in Greece once. He was sure that the Olympics would make baseball a big sport over there, and cards would take off with it. He bought my 2000 Legends Walter Johnson die-cut parallel #/100 (that is a very complicated name for such a simple thing). He paid via Western Union. It was all perfectly smooth, I just went to my closest grocery store and bing, money. WU has been around for about 1000 years so I think they've got their system down.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I received an email from the buyer now he wants to pay just $299 because it will cost him $25 more if he gets $300 or over. I don't quite understand his english so I told him to explain again. I told him I cannot ship to him without paying for shipping. it's a 100 card set of playing cards.

RIP Snow
  • Options

I want everybody to know that the buyer paid me by Western Union Money transfer. I already have the money in hand. Whew! I told him for the shipping is at least $ 15.00 for Global Priority Box (I think box is one size). He gave me $8.94 for shipping. He's asking me if that's enough for Global Priority in box. I don't know how he came up with that amount. I'll check if it's enough for the Global Priority Large envelope and just put the cards between thick cardboards or mail by regular air mail in box.

I called Western Union customer service first to verify the amount he sent me and asked how to go about with it. WU cust rep told me I just need the MTCN#, sender's name and country and amount and a valid ID

He emailed me the MTCN number and told me to bring 1 valid ID.

I filled out the form name address and his name and country and amount expecting and gave my driver's lic. WU agent print out a check form, I signed 2x in front and endorsed the back of check and they gave me the money $308.93

RIP Snow
  • Options
    sounds like it worked out OK, except him being short on S/H. Gues something is better than nothing. I stopped sending overseas because of the haggling over S/H cost and no way to confirm delivery cheaply.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    KR,

I emailed him and metioned the amount $308.93 that I received from him and said that $8.94 is not enough for GPM box and air parcel is also expensive (actually about the same as GPM box). He was surprised I only received $308.93 he said he transferred $316 and he will provide a copy of his money transfer.

I told him I asked both customer rep ( I called) and WU agent said that's what the amount computer screen is stating and I said to WU I'm supposed to get $316.99 from him.

I told him I prepared the package cards packed between cardboards in the GPM envelope and tape edges of envelope for added protection.

RIP Snow