any one out there that has a 1978opc gary carter

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mike, Are you looking for a raw one or a graded one? Neil
  • Options
    as long as it will get a 8 up it doesnt matter
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I should have one - let me poke around and maybe I'll post a scan later today.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I have a 1978 OPC Carter, but very heavy to the left and a slight diamond cut. Edges aren't too bad, and corners are mint. I do have a 1980 OPC Carter (much harder to find) in better shape than the 78. Just let me know if you're interested and I can email you a scan.
  • Options
    i have a 1980 opc psa 8 thank looking for 78,and 83 opc's
  • Options
    Hi Mike, I have the following cards for sale.
    78 Topps #135 O-Pee-Chee Regular
    83 Topps #314 O-Pee-Chee All-Star
    83 Topps #370 O-Pee-Chee Regular
    They wouldn't be in my collection if there weren't real nice. However, I'll check for condition. What would you be willing to offer for them? Neil
  • Options
    any scans and ill see
  • Options
    Hi Mike, The 1978 OPC is nice but a bit off centered. However, both of the 1983 OPC cards are real sweet. Let me know if you are interested in any and what you would offer for them. Neil
  • Options
    what are you looking to get for all three
  • Options
    Hi Mike, I figure that if I can't make a car payment with the proceeds - then I'll have to settle for less (just joking). As you know, these OPC cards are pretty hard to get in this shape. Make me a reasonable and honest offer. Tell me what they are worth to you. Add $1-$2 for shipping and they are yours. Neil
  • Options
    seven dollars shipped for all three
  • Options
    Hi Mike, Considering how hard it is to get early OPC cards in this shape - I was hoping for $10 including shipping. How about we split the difference and agree on $8.50 delivered? Let me know, Neil
  • Options
    no thanks neil
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Wow.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow is right.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Neil,
    What years do you have OPC cards available?

I need OPC cards from quite a few years for some of my player collections.

For instance, I need OPC cards from
    1988-1994

If you have availability in any of these years, please let me know and I can send you wantlists.

Thanks,
    James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no thanks neil >>

i might wouldve loaned you a 1.50.. probably not, though..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Mike, Some of these other collectors might be surprised by my price but we both know how hard it is to get these three OPC cards in this condition. You and I both have impressive Graded Gary Carter collection but neither of us have any of these graded and in our collections. On one hand $1.50 more really means nothing to either of us. However, if you get 8s or even a 9 for one of these OPC cards - it's a one of one worth big bucks. I don't give away possible one of ones. I'll tell you what, send me $8.50 in cash. If when you see these cards, if you don't think that you can get an 8 on at least two of them - send all three of them back for a refund. I'm pretty sure that I will not be seeing these cards again. The ball is in your court now. Neil
  • Options

<< <i>I'm pretty sure that I will not be seeing these cards again. The ball is in your court now. Neil >>

4SC is cracking 78 OPC and 83 OPC as we speak. It won't be long and you will have graded 9's to purchase . Good luck Mike you have did a great job so far on your Carter collection
  • Options
    ok neil email me your address
  • Options
    WOW spelled backwards is still WOW

edited typo: yup I spelled wow wrong.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Mike, Send me an email at nbdowney@msn.com and I'll give you my mailing address. Thanks, Neil
  • Options
    wow
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    i need these cards to finish both master and basic gary carter sets
    1978 opc#135
    1981 fleer star sticker
    1982 fleer west meets east #635
    1983 fleer base stealers threat #637
    1983 stuart # 8
    1985 opc all star #387
    1985 topps tiffany traded #17t
    1986 fleer league leaders #5
    1987 fleer glossy #4
    1987 fleer glossy magic mets #629
    1987 fleer mini #18
    1987 topps allstar #602
    1988 fleer glossy #636
    1988 topps #530
    1988 topps big #37
    1989 bowman #379
    1989 bowman tiffany #379
    1989 topps #3
    1989 topps #680
    1989 topps tiffany #680
    1990 topps #790
    1991 topps desert shield #310
    1991 topps traded #19t
    1992 opc #387

these are the cards i like to update
    1984 fleer #271
    1987 topps #20
    1979 topps #520
    thank you psa graded
  • Options
    Hi Mike, I have almost every card that you need either PSA graded or in mint raw condition (see below). Let me know if you are interested in any of these and we'll see if we can work something out. Neil
    1978 opc #135 - RAW
    1979 topps #520 - RAW
    1981 fleer star sticker - RAW
    1982 fleer west meets east #635 - PSA 9 NQ
    1983 fleer base stealers threat #637 - PSA 9 NQ
    1983 stuart # 8 - RAW
    1984 fleer #271 - PSA 9 NQ
    1985 topps tiffany traded #17t - PSA 8 NQ
    1986 fleer league leaders #5 - PSA 8 NQ
    1987 fleer glossy #4 - PSA 9 NQ
    1987 fleer glossy magic mets #629 - RAW
    1987 topps #20 - PSA 9 NQ
    1987 topps allstar #602 - RAW
    1988 fleer glossy #636 - PSA 9 NQ
    1988 topps #530 - RAW
    1988 topps big #37 - PSA 9 NQ
    1989 bowman #379 - RAW
    1989 bowman tiffany #379 - RAW
    1989 topps #3 - PSA 9 NQ
    1989 topps #680 - PSA 9 NQ
    1989 topps tiffany #680 - PSA 9 NQ
    1990 topps #790 - RAW AND PSA 7 NQ
    1991 topps traded #19t - RAW
    1992 opc #387 - PSA 10 NQ

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Remember that the Gary Carter Master Set does not include his '81 OPC card, but it has been requested for addition (I made the request).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Mike, I also have the 1981 OPC card in mint raw condition if you want that one too. Neil
  • Options
    what would you do for all
  • Options
    Hi Mike, What would you say to $250 including shipping and insurance. I'll even throw in the three opc cards that we discussed into the deal. Let me know what you think. Neil
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    drumrollllllllllllllllllllllll
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Methinks he should have made the offer of $248.50 instead.
  • Options
    Very funny :-)))) You guys are too much. I think that we will be doing the rest of this transaction behind door number three. Wish us luck! Neil
  • Options

<< <i> $250 including shipping and insurance >>

Neil, I hope you're also going to include a jar of vaseline.
  • Options
    neil the cards i want are
    1982 fleer #635 psa 9
    1983 fleer #637 psa 9
    1987 fleer glossy #4 psa 9
    1988 fleer glossy #636 psa 9
    1992 opc #387 psa 10
    1983 opc raw
    ill give 60 bucks shipped
  • Options

<< <i>ill give 60 bucks shipped >>

Based on recent ebay sales of PSA graded Gary Carter's 80- up . That is a more than generous offer
  • Options
    Mike, Why do you want to do this transaction on the open PSA forum? I don't want to put on a show for the laughing monkeys in the stands. If you want any of these cards, let me know through my regular email (which you have). By the way, $60 isn't going to do it. This is not a fire sale. I was just trying to help you with some hard to find cards and make a reasonable business deal. We both know what some of these are worth even if everyone else may not. Neil
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, Why do you want to do this transaction on the open PSA forum? I don't want to put on a show for the laughing monkeys in the stands >>

Neil this is where you do most of your spamming so its kind of fitting image
  • Options

<< <i>We both know what some of these are worth even if everyone else may not. Neil >>

and ebay tells us what its worth if Mike doesn't need it

carter glossy 1988 score
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We both know what some of these are worth even if everyone else may not. Neil >>

and ebay tells us what its worth if Mike doesn't need it

carter glossy 1988 score >>

Perhaps, Doncherry - but as the seller I can confidently tell you that an auction result like that means that I (and many others) will not be submitting Gary Carter cards in the future. Perhaps big submitters that pay 50% less in grading fees might be willing to take the loss on a PSA 9 that offsets the profits they make on 10s - but this just increases my pile of 'cards that I won't submit' in the future.

P.S. For what it is worth - I still made a bunch of money, as it was a 1988 Score Glossy Set Break that yielded me quite a few 10s.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, Mike, I would have bid on that card (and more than $0.99) if I had seen the auction.

There are always cards that get only 1 bid and therefore lose money for the seller. I just picked up a '76 Topps HOFer in PSA 9 for less than the grading fee, including amortized shipping (OK, less than I or anyone but a mega-submitter would pay as the grading fee). eBay is not a perfect market.

I have my own opinions about eBay and show prices on these cards, but Neil and mnolan are adults and don't really need our assistance in this negotiation.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Is there a laughing monkey avatar I could use?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>carter glossy 1988 score >>

wow, i also wouldve thrown a bid on it if i'd seen it..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Guys, We all know that when it comes to cards from a player set - ebay is not the final answer. There are raw cards that book for 5 cent and go for $50 or more because it is a 1 of 1. Part of the game of a player set is having to find many graded cards that you would not have graded for yourself. However, you still need them to complete the basic or even the master set. Some of the greatest player sets of all time still have dogs that most would not graded if they weren't in the registry listing. These are the cards that get the most money graded verus their raw prices because who's crazy enough the grade them for any other purpose. Just like most of the player set collectors, other collecters will not think that some graded Gary Carter cards have value like Gary Carter collectors do. How many times have we all heard the phrase "why pay all that money just for a piece of cardboard". The same thing can be said for a piece of cardboard slabbed in a plastic holder. It's still a piece of cardboard, yet here we all are still wanting more of them. We should remember that before we try to place a value on someone else's collectables or interests. I'll get off my soapbox now. Neil
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    this might be an entire seperate thread? why if you collect gary carter or whoever can you not register more than one of a single card? shouldn't they(PSA) have a heading on the registry "gary carter". click on gary carter and you get everyone collecting carter! not basic or master or topps just carter? it would save psa alot of time and research? for example i will use nolan ryan. if i was to have all 12 78 topps 9 i should be able to list them in my ryan set?as i add cards they will be in chronological order? click on my sgc and thats how it should be? not collectors showcase not master and basic?if they want to keep the cards i don't have listed for completion purposes thats fine but there is really no completion when it comes to a player collection? don't forget psa will only put a card in the sets that they have graded?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Mike, If you want the 5 graded cards plus the 2 raw 1983 OPC cards, I will need $80 including shipping and insurance. Check the pop report. There is a 1 of 1, 1 of 2, 1 of 3 and a 1 of 4 in that lot of 5 cards. If this price is not good for you, let me know and I'll offer them to someone else. Neil
  • Options
    There are raw cards that book for 5 cent and go for $50 or more because it is a 1 of 1

huh?
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, Why do you want to do this transaction on the open PSA forum? I don't want to put on a show for the laughing monkeys in the stands. If you want any of these cards, let me know through my regular email (which you have). By the way, $60 isn't going to do it. This is not a fire sale. I was just trying to help you with some hard to find cards and make a reasonable business deal. We both know what some of these are worth even if everyone else may not. Neil >>

Looks like this deal got settled on ebay. The five cards that Mike wanted (and offered $60) he bought 4 via buy it now for $46 from Neil on ebay , the fifth card he wanted did not sell at $10 and was relisted.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Thanks Neil and Mike. That was a very interesting exchange.image
  • Options
    So it was a "fire sale" after all.