Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Scher Collection: Wow, wow, wow!

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a copy of the auction catalog on my nightstand and have been looking at the coins offered for sale the last few nights. Despite that I have no personal interest in 3c pieces, passing interest in commems, and appreciation of Barber coinage that I may only someday act upon, I cannot be anything but impressed by the consistent quality across all of the series. I think that the Scher pedigree will mean something long after others are forgotten.

Since Mr. Scher is a participant here, I have invited him to share some thoughts, anecdotes, or history related to specific coins, interesting acquisition stories, which coins were unexpectedly especially difficult, or anything that might make the coins come alive for us. Any collecting advice offered would be appreciated, as well.

Robert

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The scher Collection shows a collector with

a very refined tast, a well thought out strategy

and a careful attention to quality and coin beauty.

All in all, an indevidual who is a credit to the rest

of us collectors.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.
    I was lucky enough to alot of these at a local coin party a few years ago...
    I hope to own a few of these image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I also keep the Scher auction catalog nearby, looking at the coins and reading the commentary. Bruce Scher's collections are truly amazing accomplishments. Completing any one of these "all-time finest" must have required tremendous patience and dedication. However, Bruce completed eight! Congratulations Bruce! And good luck with your next adventures.

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Way more important than putting together these collections is what he has done in the business world.He is a sharp guy.
    And even MORE important..he is a good guy !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Well said Bear. Bruce is definitely one of the good guys. Moreover, we wish him tremendous success in tomorrow night's Sale.
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Well the sale is over..and im off to bed..I think it went pretty darn good..tomorrow I will pass along some more.. I think a few records were set though..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Bruce! Sleep well.
    Doug
  • Options
    My thoughts about the auction and each of the 8 series... MS3cents. Very tough to find most of these.. Jim Swan came and stayed at my place and i convinced him to sell me a really neat 1883 in a 66 holder that is now the only 67..this set has many tough rarities and we really dont know what the coins would have done on their own as it was sold as a set...PR 3cents. I had a ball putting this set together and trying to stay a step ahead of a few but mostly dpoole. when i started collecting these found it extremely hard to find nice examples in most early dates, but did manage to corral most of the nice coins early on. my favorites were the 1888 and 1889 in 68..these coins all provided a nice return at auction some going up as much as as 400%..Walkers and Mercs. I did these about 5 or 6 yrs ago with the exception of the 1936 and 1942 halves these were both finest known and i paid a ton for em last summer, made a little on both of these and a bunch on the stuff from 5 yrs ago..some very pretty toned dimes in this bunch all performed real well but nothing like the "stone white" example from 1938 that brought 32k+ after bp...Barber Dimes, Quarters,Halves. I did the dimes and qtrs at the same time then bought the halves as a set from pinnacle..had a tough time finding nice dimes and quarters in the later dates and feel still needed to better a couple of the dimes..the 1915 quarter sold too low in my opinion it was a really neat coin 66cameo with nice colorful rim toning..think it went for under 5k but all 3 of these sets returned very nicelyas well with a couple of huge returns on the most stunning examples like the 1911 quarter in 68 getting 34k+ and the 1912 68 half gong for over 51k with the bp....50 pc. commems, lots of high end colorful coins in this set with many pop1's...the toughest for me to find was the sesqui in 66, though there were many coins in the set more rare like the lex in 68 that coin and a few others including the roanoke and the long island were sold to me by pinnacle and were all just stunning colorful coins. More than 1 coin buddy told me i was nuts to pay almost 30k for an unbelievable gettysberg and this coin along with the lex were my 2 favorites..all of the commems performed very well...I think Heritage did a good job with the catalog and promoted the set well..

Bruce Scher
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a job well done!
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Bruce...I think it's time you started a high-end Saint collection!!image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sincere and abundant congrats, Bruce. I'm happy you felt good about the auction overall. I think you did very well!

Yours were special quality sets, and it was a pleasure to see such assemblages in the hobby up close!

I'm going to miss you on the 3CN Registry, but I look forward to watching your next endeavor grow. I'm sure it will be special!
  • Options
    bruce

very good expo on the auctions...it is nice to see people share the "inside" of where they have been as it makes for a better informed collector thus a foundationally stronger market for all

congrats on the big haul

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language